The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Changing an Ignition Lock Cylinder (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=379745)

LandonL 01-06-2010 06:54 PM

Changing an Ignition Lock Cylinder

Alright, I recently ordered an ignition lock cylinder for my truck. What are the steps to taking the old one out? I would really appreciate anyone who can help! This is a 1967 GMC Stepside.

What I've heard to do is put the key in, turn to the right to the accessory lights come on, push a paperclip into the tiny hole and turn to the right and it should pop right out?

Also, how is the new one put in?

4tiresngas 01-06-2010 06:58 PM

Re: Changing an Ignition Lock Cylinder

I think it may be to the left. In any event, it is relatively simple. Just push a paper clip in the hole on the face of the ignition after you have inserted the key and turned it. It pops right out.

oldblue1968chevy 01-06-2010 07:06 PM

Yeah, its left straighten a paper clip and jam it in the lil hole and turn left. took me awhile to figure out you had to turn it. my dad (knows it ALL...) Said to unscrew the ignition. That took awhile to realize he is wrong.

LockDoc 01-06-2010 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
-
Turn the key to the left as far as it will go BEFORE you insert a straightened paper clip or stiff wire into the hole in the face of the cylinder and “gently” push the spring loaded pin in. Turn the cylinder further to the left to remove it.

After you push the spring loaded pin in with the stiff wire and turn the cylinder further to the left you have to pull the wire out to finish turning it or it will bind. You can also turn it too far after you pull the wire out. That is when you have to wiggle the cylinder back and forth a little bit. If you wiggle it too much the pin will pop back out and you will have to start over. You should not have to put excessive turning pressure on it or push down hard on the spring loaded pin. Gentle and patience are the key words here...

For the people that read this thread that do not have an ignition key take the passenger door lock out and take it to your local locksmith. It should have a code number stamped into the lock case and the locksmith can cut a key from the code number. If none of the locks have been changed the key will fit the ignition.

Here is a picture of the code # location on the door lock.

LockDoc

Longhorn Man 01-06-2010 08:26 PM

on 67s and some 68 models, there is no accessory position. If memory serves, you start from the off position and follow the directions above, turning the ignition tumbler counter clockwise.

LockDoc 01-06-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 3714975)
on 67s and some 68 models, there is no accessory position. If memory serves, you start from the off position and follow the directions above, turning the ignition tumbler counter clockwise.

You are correct Andy.

LockDoc

LandonL 01-07-2010 05:59 PM

How is the new one put in?

LandonL 01-07-2010 06:30 PM

I just got the lock today, so I really need to know how to put it in without screwing something up. Haha.

Longhorn Man 01-07-2010 07:27 PM

once the old one is out, you insert the tumbly into the hole, and twist it clockwise. Little to no effort should be put in it... if it doesn't just slip into place, then you need to start over. Your starting point should be about the same angle as the old one when it came out.

BADPURPLE70CHEVY 01-07-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 3714953)
-
Turn the key to the left as far as it will go and insert a straightened paper clip or stiff wire into the hole in the face of the cylinder and “gently” push the spring loaded pin in. Turn the cylinder further to the left to remove it.

After you push the spring loaded pin in with the stiff wire and turn the cylinder further to the left you have to pull the wire out to finish turning it or it will bind. You can also turn it too far after you pull the wire out. That is when you have to wiggle the cylinder back and forth a little bit. If you wiggle it too much the pin will pop back out and you will have to start over. You should not have to put excessive turning pressure on it or push down hard on the spring loaded pin. Gentle and patience are the key words here...

For the people that read this thread that do not have an ignition key take the passenger door lock out and take it to your local locksmith. It should have a code number stamped into the lock case and the locksmith can cut a key from the code number. If none of the locks have been changed the key will fit the ignition.

Here is a picture of the code # location on the door lock.

LockDoc

Easy as pie. My wife changed out hers in her old 68 c-10 with no help.

kevmic28 01-08-2010 01:14 AM

I still have not been able to get mine out. Now when I try to start the truck it sits for a second or two after I turn the key before the starter kicks in.

iwanta70 01-12-2010 07:26 PM

I have the same problem, only I burned up the switch. I have a new one and wires on order. How does the bezel come off the front? I need to get the whole switch out.

EDIT: should have said I have a '71 K-10

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandonL (Post 3714712)
Alright, I recently ordered an ignition lock cylinder for my truck. What are the steps to taking the old one out? I would really appreciate anyone who can help! This is a 1967 GMC Stepside.

What I've heard to do is put the key in, turn to the right to the accessory lights come on, push a paperclip into the tiny hole and turn to the right and it should pop right out?

Also, how is the new one put in?

72lb4x4 01-12-2010 08:03 PM

Once the cylinder is out, the bezel just unscrews.

Sammy 01-12-2010 08:32 PM

In 99% of the time it is that easy. I have seen them be a bear to remove. I dunno maybe they get worn or some sorta lub or 40 plus years of being left alone makes them be difficult. Just keep in mind the correct removal process and keep working the lock assy. I had one that wouldn't come out after an hr or more had to resort to alternate means of destruction of both the lock and the spacer.

POPO1984 01-12-2010 10:51 PM

what if i dont have the key and do not have the passenger door to get the code off of

LockDoc 01-12-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POPO1984 (Post 3727299)
what if i dont have the key and do not have the passenger door to get the code off of

That makes it really tough. Do you have the original drivers door lock? If so a good locksmith can make a key without the code number but it costs more to do it that way. If you try to drill out the existing ign. cylinder there is a good chance you will damage the switch in the process.

LockDoc

POPO1984 01-12-2010 11:12 PM

I dont have anything for this truck. I just bought the cab an the ignition was in there.

LockDoc 01-12-2010 11:45 PM

-
Drilling is just about your only option then. There is another way to do it but it is pretty involved and pretty much only do-able by a locksmith with the correct tools.

LockDoc

POPO1984 01-13-2010 12:11 AM

so just drill the lock cylinder out then

LockDoc 01-13-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POPO1984 (Post 3727539)
so just drill the lock cylinder out then

-
Yep...

LockDoc

iwanta70 01-14-2010 10:34 PM

Yep, it sure does. Got the new switch/cylinder/wiring in yesterday and whaddya know, it runs again. Thanks to all for the help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 (Post 3726899)
Once the cylinder is out, the bezel just unscrews.

JoeKan 05-28-2010 11:11 AM

I started taking mine off then I think I may have fixed the problem. I'm having a difficult time tightening it up. Is there a way to do that? It just seems very loose in there. I did not have to take it off.
Thanks,
Joe

oldblue1968chevy 05-28-2010 02:29 PM

There is notches in the bezel, i took a screwdriver and tapped it tight with a hammer..

ricks71pu 05-28-2010 02:55 PM

ask this q a wekk or so back. had trouble w/ remoeval, till i read after you put paperclip in, let it retract, then turn left.

JoeKan 05-28-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricks71pu (Post 4002077)
ask this q a wekk or so back. had trouble w/ remoeval, till i read after you put paperclip in, let it retract, then turn left.

Where do you put the paperclip in at?