The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   '72 C-10 Front Brake Hoses? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851261)

C10 - C90 Bill 03-10-2024 08:36 PM

'72 C-10 Front Brake Hoses?

My Front Brake Hoses aren't that old, but since I have a L/F dragging, I'm going with the simple thing first and changing both. Question is who makes the best quality? I'm looking at Dorman's, but want to buy the best.

Thanks

72SB 03-11-2024 12:38 PM

Re: '72 C-10 Front Brake Hoses?

The "best" would be stainless steel braided ones. Earls or Inline may make them.

With that said I just bought all my stuff from Rockauto. Usually the AC Delco "professional" line

if new hoses don't resolve the caliper drag...the piston may be hanging up so rebuild with a light hone on caliper piston wall.

MikeB 03-11-2024 12:52 PM

I just recently installed a pair of AC Delco Professional hoses, and they seem to be high quality and fit perfectly.

I have all kinds of AC Delco parts on my truck, including turn signal switch, headlight switch, HEI cap and rotor, coolant temp and oil pressure senders, etc.

MikeB 03-11-2024 01:23 PM

There is certainly nothing wrong with braided stainless hoses, and I've used them over the years. But "rubber" hoses get a bad rap because some folks, even vendors (!) think brake fluid runs inside the rubber hose, just like coolant runs inside a heater hose. Here's how they are actually constructed:

The hose itself is actually made of three parts. The inner liner is a corrosion and brake-fluid resistant compound (normally PTFE / Teflon-based) designed purely to keep the brake fluid in. Around the outside of that, there’s a steel webbed mesh. This is what gives the brake hose its strength and stops it from bulging and deforming. And around the outside of that there’s a slightly thicker rubber coating, which is there to weatherproof the steel mesh. The three layers together give strength, flexibility and durability.

So, you have to ask yourself if hoses with stainless braid are worth the extra cost vs. stock-type hoses with steel mesh and rubber coating.

C10 - C90 Bill 03-11-2024 01:42 PM

Appreciate the replies.

mr.mud1 03-11-2024 04:48 PM

a couple years ago,brake hoses seemed to driving everybody nuts,i ordered 2 sets from Rock Auto,then my local auto parts stores,everything was too short?i don't know if the situation has improved but i found a guy in Michigan, Brake Hoses Unlimited,his were perfect,excellent quality and reasonable.he mailed them to me,fit like a glove.

72c20customcamper 03-11-2024 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried several brands of front brake hoses . None fit correctly the AC delcos were the right length but the mount at the hardline didn’t fit the bracket . I ended up buying from Brake hoses unlimited . Great communication and the parts fit perfectly.

72SB 03-11-2024 06:02 PM

The AC Delco rubber hoses I got on rockauto were plug and play

2 points on SS lines
1. they don't expand like standard ones so a firmer brake pedal

2. They are more resistant to cutting.

IMHO if the truck is not an autox performance truck, then SS braided lines really are not needed