The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   The beauty *N* the beast (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486320)

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 05:58 PM

The beauty *N* the beast

4 Attachment(s)
OK fellas I've been debating on wether to start a build thread or not due to my lack of knowledge in auto mechanics and just about these trucks in general, but I figure if I can't teach anyone from what I know you guys can learn from my mistakes and I'm sure there will be plenty. This truck has alot of sentimental value to me so I will try to keep the cab and as many of the other body parts as possible original. I'm not looking to make a show truck but I want it to look nice. As far as the way the floor board looks under the carpet baring rust I don't really care. So I'm not looking for absolute perfection but I want it to look nice and last a long time. This truck was my grandfathers truck he bought this truck used in 1984 to drive on his farm in Crockett TX just after he retired in 1980. My grandfather passed in 1986 when I was 16 so the truck has been sitting in the same spot for roughly 25 years outdoors under an old oak tree. As you can see in the pictures the truck has sunk in the ground up to the axles. I picked the truck up in May and brought it to my home in Houston and started tearing it down for a complete frame off resto. Just like the majority of us here I'm a blue collard really average dude so funds are limited or I guess not but depending on how much I have to come up with is how long it will take to complete this resto. I would imagine this will be quiet a lengthy build. I will list my plans for the truck here and show you a few pics. Also like I said I brought it home in May so I will try to catch yall up to where I'm at currently on the build. Oh yea currently the truck has a 250 l6 and a 3 speed manual on the tree.

Mini C notch's CPP
Front cups and plates Kp components
Denominator 2600 bags airbaggit.com
2 viar 400's
5 gallon air tank
Budnik 20x8.5 front 20x10 in back
5.3 liter GM motor
4l60 tranny
3.73 posi

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 06:16 PM

Re: The beauty *N* the beast

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures from when me and my dad went and picked it up.

67cheby 09-26-2011 06:20 PM

NICE...cant wait for the tear apart !! LOL, my favorite part

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 06:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have taken alot of pictures so this may take a while just 5 pictures at a time. More when we picked it up and a couple after I got it home.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 06:32 PM

Hey CHEBY the rear bumper says the truck came from a dealership in Wheatley Arkansas. You have any idea where that is?

67cheby 09-26-2011 06:41 PM

no i dont, i will have to try to find it ???

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 06:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And for the tear down.

bharrison1 09-26-2011 06:48 PM

Cool project!!

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 06:54 PM

Thanks bharrison1

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 07:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics of the tear down.

no moa 09-26-2011 07:14 PM

After 25 years, you truck is still 20 times cleaner than mine. Looks like a great project.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 07:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finding a little more rust than anticipated. Had to install a 220 outlet in my garage for the new welder. Oh yea never used a mig welder and its been about 20 years since I've used a arc welder. Got some shots here of my first welds with the new mig machine. UUggllyy.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 07:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Wholes in the floor board.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 07:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Starting to do a little body work on the cab. I'll try to do as much of the metal work as I can and I will have to let my body man put down all the filler and paint. Also I will have to repalce both front fenders, the inner fenders, core support, battery box, the entire bed. Don't know how much aftermarket stuff I will need but I've been told to try and use as much OEM as possible for easier fitment.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 07:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Cab work. Even got my boy to come out and help a little.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 08:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more pics of the passenger side cab as I was finishing up there. Had to throw a pic of my 7 month old American bully on here. Also here is a shot of my buddies truck its porterbuilt equiped. I bought these wheels and tires from him to put on my truck for now. You recognize the front bumper and grill guard. He just had to have it.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 08:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
On to the drivers side. Started shaving the firewall.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 09:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK on to shaving the firewall. You can tell a newbs been working on this thing but like I said this wont be a show truck so I will only raise the hood when I have to and hopefully that wont be very often.

67cheby 09-26-2011 09:51 PM

SWEET...love the sneek peak at the end result !!

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 10:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK finished the firewall and now I'm replacing the eyebrow inside the cab above the sun visors. Rats built a nest above the driver side sun visor and the rat piss eventually rusted holes through the inner roof.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 10:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Dude I'm only posting a portion of the pics i've taken. Alot of them are redundant. OK I'm fuggen sick of this cab for a while so time to roll the chassis in. Started tearing the frame down for powdercoating. Going with Misty Lava powder its a charcoal gray.The truck is going to be charcoal gray and the part of the cab that is white now will be a smoked gray. Got the notch's in the cups and plates, bags, bushing kit and McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles. Marking the notch's so I can start drilling these big azz holes for the air fittings on the bags.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 11:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Man that was a mother. Got em drilled though. OK just got my frame and all supporting parts back from the powdercoater it turned out good. I still have a few more parts to take over and have powdercoated like the new core support and some of the steering linkage. Got the bags on front and back. Now I need to go get new balljoints, tie rod ends, and the tubes that mount the control arms to the frame. Also I will need new shocks if any of you know which ones I need I could use the help. Also I have to order a super trackbar and shock relocators for the back. What do you guys think about me maybe taking an inch off the front cups? Can I do this without any other mods to the main crossmember? Oh yea I half azzed the holes in the cross member for the exhaust I dont have a torch but like I said its not a show truck and no one will see this part of the truck anyway. You can see the 5.3 in one of the pics I'll be using.

jbice70gmc 09-26-2011 11:13 PM

Other things I plan on doing is four wheel disc brakes, power steering, and I'm putting a vintage air unit in. Of course all new interior and new gauge bezel just don't really have a direction yet on the interior.

Krooked Kustoms 09-26-2011 11:36 PM

G'day cobber. Like the plans for ya rig. Ya mates truck looks killer! Frame come up really good IMO, likin the colour and good job on the shaving and rust repairs. I'll be watching this one :) cheers mate.
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 09-27-2011 09:38 AM

nice work on the frame ...looks slick !!