The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   cheapest budget build ever (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=371093)

ya it is a classic 11-09-2009 08:32 PM

cheapest budget build ever

alright heres for all you cheap guys that "think" your doing a budget build heres mine. back in june when i was 15 there was a peace of crap 67 gmc 1/2 tone long box 4 speed manual sitting there a couple of miles from my house. i wasent into old trucks but i was into racing quads. you could just see the back end and it was pretty beat up. i wanted to get it to wreck it and dink around in but i knew my dad would never go for it. so one day my dad was like you should get that gmc over there. i was like ok and called up the water company and offtered them $200 for it. they discused it and decided that they werent going to do anything with it and sold it to me for $250 and they gave me a free battery to go with it. continued

ya it is a classic 11-09-2009 08:37 PM

Re: cheapest budget build ever

well the first time i went to look at it i was like i got to restore this. except i knew nothing about how to do it. i drug it home and cleaned it out and got it going. it had only sat for about 2 years. my parents jumped in and we took off down the gravel road. i took it up to about 30 and when i tried to slow down i found that the throttle had stuck and wouldnt slow down. NOT panicking i was like what do i do? my dad said hit the gas and then let off. i tried that and it satrted to go faster. well he finnaly pulled the chock and it stopped and we got it fixed. continued again

Dark Knight 11-09-2009 08:44 PM

Sounds like it's time to treat the throttle linkage to some WD-40. :lol:

ya it is a classic 11-09-2009 08:45 PM

well being the smart guy and not researching this i started to sand the truck to metal. BY HAND. that sucked so my neighbor said get a airpowered da sander and use that. in the meantime use this small orbatal sander and have fun. i was like ok. he went to alaska so i got a 1/3 sheet dual action orbital sander at a yard sale. o a DA sander great. that wasent a waist of time. to make a long story short i ended up with a da sander and a 33 gal air compressor so things are good. i did all the work myself outside on the gravel right bu the enclosed shop that was insualted and a cement floor. but im just glad that there was a place to work on it. to date i have about $950 into it and about 400 left to get it done. then ill paint it next summer when cash starts rollen in again. ill try to get some pictures of it here

ya it is a classic 11-09-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 3610982)
Sounds like it's time to treat the throttle linkage to some WD-40. :lol:

no crap! actualy the clip came off and it came apart. it was a good memory though.

71blksuper4x4 11-09-2009 09:40 PM

You are going to spray primer on the truck before you drive it for a year aren't ya? If not that baby will be badly rusted from where you took it down to bare metal. Trevor

Sport/Truck 11-09-2009 11:29 PM

Next time the throttle sticks you can turn off the key.
s/t

epashhans 11-09-2009 11:30 PM

As always, lets see some pics! ;)

rico7769 11-09-2009 11:37 PM

I agree...turning the key solves a lot of problems. I'm surprised the brakes weren't the first thing to give you trouble. We learned our lessons quick about jumping in and going fast. Not a good equation when throttle+well built engine-brakes=aaahhhh!!! Good luck with the new build. Can't wait to see the new pics! Welcome to the site.:gmc2:

ya it is a classic 11-10-2009 08:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
heres some pics of my truck when i first got it and of some side pipes that my neighbor gave me off his 69 camaro. they had been sitting for about 20 years and i sanded the rust off the one. the pic with the quad in the back was when i was hand sanding. p.s. how do you get pics from kokak to the site from a mac G4 laptop. more to come

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1257897251

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1257897643

ya it is a classic 11-10-2009 08:18 PM

o it worked. never mind on uploading the pics. ;)

292farmer 11-10-2009 08:38 PM

i think the side pipes will look good, what color u planning on? i want to put side pipes into mine but its a 6cyl so its only b one side, which i think will look funky. btw whats the motor, or did i miss reading that?

chevjayfsd 11-10-2009 08:48 PM

Please don't put the side pipes on... lol.

Nice find!

ya it is a classic 11-10-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 292farmer (Post 3613091)
i think the side pipes will look good, what color u planning on? i want to put side pipes into mine but its a 6cyl so its only b one side, which i think will look funky. btw whats the motor, or did i miss reading that?

the motor is a inline 6 292. it only a single pipe but im guna get a 1 into 2 muffler and strait pipe it so it splits off. lot of work but its custom and i want it to be different. with the time i put into the pickup i could have gotten a job and bought a plain jane newer pickup but i would rather have an older pickup that i build myself.
also its in rustolum sandable automotive primer for now untill next summer ill paint it black. with lots of gloss over the black.

ya it is a classic 11-10-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevjayfsd (Post 3613112)
Please don't put the side pipes on... lol.

Nice find!

ha ha! i think they will look good. plus they were given to me for free for my truck.
again custom, i could run flowmasters or magnaflow like everyone else but only a couple of people have sidepipes for pickups and i think they look sweet. if i was doing a profeshional truck like yours i wouldnt put the pipes on, but this is a budget build and the pipes were FREE!!!!!! ;)

lolife99 11-10-2009 10:14 PM

Looks like a good starting point.

Be aware that primer absorbs moisture.
Don't be surprised if it's rusty under the primer next year.

ya it is a classic 11-10-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3613268)
Looks like a good starting point.

Be aware that primer absorbs moisture.
Don't be surprised if it's rusty under the primer next year.

really? ive never heard of this. is there a way of getting around this like putting clear coat or something or is the rust not going to be that bad and it will be ok?

Rokcrln 11-10-2009 10:50 PM

Just use a rustolum paint not primmer. Then sand that down before painting.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

ya it is a classic 11-10-2009 10:57 PM

well its almost completely primed.
ill get the newer pics up soon

lolife99 11-10-2009 10:59 PM

Here's a good thread on using epoxy primers.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a.../t-244070.html

Either way,... you'll need to start over next year prior to paint.

ya it is a classic 12-21-2009 12:50 AM

hey guys im back! so i got my 71 or 72 i think its off a 72 grill put on the other day and i ran into a problem. everything lined up perfect so i was like sweet and put everything back together. well the top of the grill had one of those chrome strips on the top so its like 2in taller than my original grill. the 72 only cost me 35 so im not too worried about it but id would like to get this fixed so i can shut my hood. i fixed the dent in the old grill but i would like a chrome one. any ideas?

also im going to need a stud welder for the dents in the bed. any ideas? ive looked at the ones from harbor freight and they look decent.

Smallz72project 12-21-2009 01:10 AM

Just read your thread, congrats on the purchase. Looks like a decent platform. Noticed also that you are a fellow Montanan. Missoula here. The stud welders from harbor freight are pretty good havent really seen or heard anything bad about them.

special-K 12-21-2009 01:13 AM

You need to drill out the rivets to remove that top bar on the newer grille.Do you still have the`67 grille?You need that same piece from that.But it`s a piece of sheet metal that`s body color.The 67/68 hood requires that filler and the 69/72 hoods require the chrome filler.

echo72 12-21-2009 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's a great deal. I thought $1000 was a deal for my 72 Cheyenne.

ya it is a classic 12-21-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallz72project (Post 3685571)
Just read your thread, congrats on the purchase. Looks like a decent platform. Noticed also that you are a fellow Montanan. Missoula here. The stud welders from harbor freight are pretty good havent really seen or heard anything bad about them.

hey whats up? ya i love harbor freight! i bought my 6in da sander for 30 big ones. i was looking at polsons? and they had a husky brand 6 in EXACTLY the same as mine for 100 bucks. ive sanded my whole truck and havent had a problem with it.