The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Favorite Tools (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=618032)

Theoriginalsilverado 02-24-2014 09:11 PM

Favorite Tools

Hey guys!

I live in Newfoundland, and getting a tool as I need it isn't as simple as running to the local store- There is none. This weekend I'm making a run to town, and I plan on picking up as much tools as I think will come in handy, in particular anything to help me sand my chassis.

My question for you is what are your favorite tools, for any job in any step of restoration/working on your truck? Cheap or expensive!

Also what's your preferred degreaser, primer, paint, etc.?

I guess the main question is what do you think every garage should have? ( Other than the basic wrenches screw drivers hammers, etc.)

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know what I grab this weekend!

truckdude239 02-24-2014 11:02 PM

Re: Favorite Tools

3/8" 14.4 volt impact and 18 volt 1/2" impact gun

superwade57 02-25-2014 08:42 AM

A good cable operated hose clamp pliers but that's more for.the new stuff. Use one once you'll never live with out it again.

Kim57 02-25-2014 10:54 AM

For cleaning my frame I used my 4-1/2" angle grinder with wire wheels attached to it.
I used the cup and flat types.
They do wear out so I would have a couple of each if it's a long drive to town.
Kim

motornut 02-25-2014 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd say the small cut off tool and a air chisel ,need a compressor tho

Kaysen 03-11-2014 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superwade57 (Post 6543307)
A good cable operated hose clamp pliers but that's more for.the new stuff. Use one once you'll never live with out it again.

Never heard of such, so I looked them up. Yep, definitely gonna be buying a pair of those.

Tx Firefighter 03-11-2014 09:20 AM

I have a lot of tools, some very expensive, but my favorite is this set of SnapOn flare nut/open end wrenches. They are kind of mis-matched because I collected them on eBay over time as I found good deals. After a career of using lesser flare nut wrenches, the SnapOns are fantastic. Fittings that other brands would strip, the SnapOn loosens up without damage.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...c72f869ad9.jpg

My favorite 1/4" drive ratchet. It's an antique, but I like it better than my new SnapOn Dual 80s. This was a broken swap meet find that I paid a buck for. Then I finally found a rebuild kit for it. I'm into it for about 10 bucks total. It's somewhere in the 60s era vintage and works smoother than any ratchet I've ever used.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...6d0212a1d2.jpg

And I'm currently collecting SnapOn "hi performance" metric deep offset box end wrenches. These are not very common so the collection is slow going. I'll get there eventually.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...4b06cca1c3.jpg

68C15 03-16-2014 07:31 AM

I'm not sure if Josh has enough bandwidth for me to list mine. There's about $30K worth of "favorites" in my box. But if I had to slice a couple off the top of the list, it would be my Ingersol Rand 2112 3/8" impact and Power Probe III

dieseldawg142 03-16-2014 01:55 PM

not my favorite tool, in fact i dread pulling it out, but has saved the day many times, even when my Ingersol Rand 600 impact wont cut it.
this wonder tool?-craftsman 1/2" 24" long breaker bar.
working on a chassis you will need it!

Tom Vogel 04-03-2014 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=Tx Firefighter; my favorite is this set of SnapOn flare nut/open end wrenches. After a career of using lesser flare nut wrenches, the SnapOns are fantastic. Fittings that other brands would strip, the SnapOn loosens up without damage.[/QUOTE]

I learned this lesson long ago. Money very well spent.

ERASER5 04-03-2014 12:19 PM

I'll second on the air hammer. After beating on a hub assembly for 10 minutes with a BFG, the little air hammer popped the hub out in 20 seconds.

Daddy'O 04-03-2014 12:43 PM

My Refrigerator - keeps my favorite beverages nice and cold...:lol:

Seriously - I love my Power Probe III.

GM-power 04-03-2014 11:23 PM

A favorite tool boy thats hard!!! Just for makin life easy I like my wobble impact sockets! Got matco adv deep and snap-on shorts.

magicoolbus 04-03-2014 11:37 PM

Love my Simpson 260 8P.

First c10 04-05-2014 11:30 AM

BFH
Or LFH for the smaller jobs
:metal:

BarryB 04-05-2014 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a bunch of "favorite" tools, each has there purpose they were made for. I just recently purchased a tubing flaring tool. That is AWESOME! from either Eastwood or inline tube. I bought mine from the inline tube ebay store.

familyfast64 04-10-2014 03:09 AM

My new favorite tool is the beed roller. My old favorite was my first mig welder. Tool I absolutely couldn't do without... Air compressor worthy of cfm

Tom Vogel 04-23-2014 09:34 AM

[QUOTE= I just recently purchased a tubing flaring tool. That is AWESOME! from either Eastwood or inline tube. I bought mine from the inline tube ebay store.[/QUOTE]

I have one as well. Excellent tool.

glider_6969 04-24-2014 09:11 PM

Hi Guys, thought you all would get a good laugh,:lol:

Here is a collection of definitions and uses you may find helpful.

TOOLS EXPLAINED

DRILL PRESS:
A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL:
Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh ****'

SKIL SAW:
A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS:
Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER:
An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW:
One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS:
Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH:
Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW:
A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK:
Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW:
A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST:
A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER:
Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER:
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR:
A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50-cent part.

HOSE CUTTER:
A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE:
Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

Son of a ***** TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a *****' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need

In The Ten Ring 04-27-2014 01:04 AM

OMGosh that was funny!

I haven't done too much to my truck but here is what I have used or plan to use.

1). Socket set, 3/8" drive.
2). Combination wrench set.
3). Ball peen hammer.
4). Screw driver set.
5). 2.5 ton wheeled floor jack.
6). Wood blocks (lots)
7). 3 ton jack stands (2 of).
8). Brake drum tool set.
9). Shop towels
10). Powered drill with wire brush.
11). Dremel tool and cutting wheels and grinding bits.
12). Flashlight.
13). Double flare kit for new fuel lines.
14). Bench vise.
15). Center punch.
16). Safety glasses and face masks.
17). 4-way lug wrench.
18). ZEP 45 (break free).
19). Drip pan for catching motor oil and antifreeze.
20). Drill bits & drill.
21). Reverse drill bits.
22). Extractor set for removing broken bolts.

*I'm sure I am missing something but that's about all I've used.

In The Ten Ring 04-27-2014 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 6613230)
I have a bunch of "favorite" tools, each has there purpose they were made for. I just recently purchased a tubing flaring tool. That is AWESOME! from either Eastwood or inline tube. I bought mine from the inline tube ebay store.

I'd like to see that thing in action! I am about to start on my new fuel lines and I bought the tool that goes in a bench vise. The one I bought is from Craftsman.

In The Ten Ring 04-28-2014 01:00 AM

Forgot a few! Will edit.