The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help with Steering Shaft Removal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810361)

skyphix 08-10-2020 07:05 PM

Help with Steering Shaft Removal

Hey everyone,
Now that the LS/Trans swap is driveable its time to address some maintenance/repair items on the truck itself. This one has been pretty stubborn. Replacing the lower steering column bearing, I've got the bearing kit here, but can't for the life of me get the steering shaft off of the column

See the arrow below;
https://i.imgur.com/lXYEhKLl.jpg

Where that arrow points - I removed the pinch bolt, and the bulky section with the rubber seal moves down but the shaft itself doesn't collapse at all and I don't want to hammer on it too hard for fear of tearing the rubber boot. Is this just a case of a stuck shaft where I need to drill out/melt out the plastic pins or am I missing something?

Trying to avoid unhooking at the steering box if I can, just because those bolts are all boogered up and ultimately I want to replace the entire setup, so this is just to get it driving a little better.

Thanks in advance
Eric

rodstored-72 08-11-2020 12:06 PM

Re: Help with Steering Shaft Removal

I can't help, but I am wanting to do the same thing so following along.... thanks!

JJH Jimmy 08-11-2020 03:32 PM

I would first soak the end with a good penetrating oil. Next, disconnect the shaft at the rag joint and get it off the steering box then try to hammer it off using an adjustable wrench around the shaft and striking with a hammer. The shaft is sorta of D shaped and is a really tight fit. When you go to reinstall clean both the intermediate shaft end and the steering column shaft end with some sand cloth and make sure it is positioned properly. Good luck sometimes they are a pain in the butt.

skyphix 08-11-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 8790389)
I would first soak the end with a good penetrating oil. Next, disconnect the shaft at the rag joint and get it off the steering box then try to hammer it off using an adjustable wrench around the shaft and striking with a hammer. The shaft is sorta of D shaped and is a really tight fit. When you go to reinstall clean both the intermediate shaft end and the steering column shaft end with some sand cloth and make sure it is positioned properly. Good luck sometimes they are a pain in the butt.

Thanks very much for the advice! I was really hoping to avoid disconnecting the rag joint end because someone at some point rounded off the pinch bolt, but looks like I'll be getting creative with getting that off.

I guess while I've got it apart the responsible thing would be to replace the rag joint at the same time. Snowball effect :lol:

kwmech 08-12-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyphix (Post 8790421)
Thanks very much for the advice! I was really hoping to avoid disconnecting the rag joint end because someone at some point rounded off the pinch bolt, but looks like I'll be getting creative with getting that off.

I guess while I've got it apart the responsible thing would be to replace the rag joint at the same time. Snowball effect :lol:

It may look rounded but it requires a 12pt socket

skyphix 08-13-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8790974)
It may look rounded but it requires a 12pt socket

You made me go look again and yup - it was so packed with crud it looked rounded. Cleaned it off and it’s just a 12pt. Shouldn’t be too bad then.

v30crewcab 08-16-2020 07:20 PM

I usually have to smack them with a hammer to get them to slide off once the bolt is completely out.

SCOTI 08-17-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v30crewcab (Post 8793368)
I usually have to smack them with a hammer to get them to slide off once the bolt is completely out.

x2. Mine was similar.

kipps 08-17-2020 04:45 PM

It's been awhile, but from my memory, it comes apart at the steering box a lot easier than at the steering column. I doubt you'll have any trouble. Spray it down with pBlaster overnight, and it should slide right off.

skyphix 08-18-2020 09:31 AM

Thanks very much guys - hoping to tear into this again at some point this week. Gotta go grab some 12pt sockets and I've been hitting both ends with PB every time I open the hood.

Pontiac1976 08-19-2020 08:53 PM

You will only need a 7/16 12 point socket or 7/16 box end wrench to get it off.