The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Two Years after my Dilemma (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767927)

Crappie Hog 07-21-2018 01:17 PM

Two Years after my Dilemma

3 Attachment(s)
Its been a little over 2 years since I made my first post on my dilemma over building the truck I want vs keeping the truck all original.

Well here I go again since I purchased this truck two years ago I have done nothing more than wash it and have driven it a total of 3 times around the neighborhood. Now having an original 72 is not a bad thing but it just doesn't do it for me.

I'm really thinking that it may be time for me to sell it. I don't really foresee putting it back in the barn for another 24 years. I mean Ill be lucky to be around myself another 20 years. God Willing. Funny thing about getting older is you start thinking that somethings my serve others better. I do have two sons one 36 and the other 31 and the have no interest in it all. At most I could hope for is one of my grand kids to become interested in another 11 years seeing how the oldest is only 7. Who would have ever thought that an old truck could give one so much joy. Fond memories and such a dilemma.

All Original 72 Dilemma Thread Below
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...98#post7596198

GIZZ 07-21-2018 01:40 PM

Re: Two Years after my Dilemma

That's a beauty there.

I know the dilemma, I like to mod my cars but my GN is so pretty I can't bear myself to mod it anymore, it's peppy but my SUV was faster which just isn't right. I'm off and on the fence about selling it, It saw the road maybe 10 times in the last 10 years. My panel truck, although rare I have decided on modding until it's faster than my drag car. For now, I place all the OE parts in the corner of the shop.

What about start modding and just keep all the old parts.

FRCvette 07-21-2018 02:12 PM

That is a very pretty truck. If you want to hot rod it by all means do so. I also like my cars rodded. You only live once.

ncpetersc 07-21-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIZZ (Post 8305711)
That's a beauty there.

X2

Very nice truck. Start feeling out the grandkids, take them for rides in it when they come to visit, I hope one of them shows interest. Would be nice to keep it in the family.

Crappie Hog 07-21-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIZZ (Post 8305711)
That's a beauty there.

I know the dilemma, I like to mod my cars but my GN is so pretty I can't bear myself to mod it anymore, it's peppy but my SUV was faster which just isn't right. I'm off and on the fence about selling it, It saw the road maybe 10 times in the last 10 years. My panel truck, although rare I have decided on modding until it's faster than my drag car. For now, I place all the OE parts in the corner of the shop.

What about start modding and just keep all the old parts.

Hey GIZZ its been a thought just about every day. First off some exhaust. Then some wheels and then lower it. And then take the drum brakes off why I have no Ideal the few times I have driven it I sometimes wonder why the even did away with drum brakes up front. I swear it feels like the brakes on my 72 are better than on my 08 all that to say I just cant find it in myself to start with the first mod.

Crappie Hog 07-21-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncpetersc (Post 8305787)
X2

Very nice truck. Start feeling out the grandkids, take them for rides in it when they come to visit, I hope one of them shows interest. Would be nice to keep it in the family.

Funny you should say that ncpetersc it seems that my youngest grandson only 3 years old is drawn to that Truck like crazy. Every time they come over hes got to sit in it and hates to get out. The two older grandsons pay no attention to it what so ever.

clay68c10 07-21-2018 04:19 PM

Keep it. It’s nice and they don’t make them anymore.
If the 3yo thinks is still cool in a couple more years then he may be the new care taker eventually. Take that little dude for a ride, that may really get him into it.
Put a nice exhaust on it and maybe something else simple/cheap to make it more enjoyable for you to drive. All the usual mods like exhaust and dropped spindles don’t hurt the value and are reversible.

rockyrivermark 07-21-2018 04:31 PM

Gotta love hugger orange and white deluxe paint
Just can't beat it
Cool.

68bowtie 07-21-2018 04:52 PM

When I was around 10 my grandpa died. My grandma asked my parents if my brother and I had any interest in his fishing boat. They said no because they didn’t want us on the water, and my dad never fished anyway. I never knew about his boat until a few years later when my brother and I had our own setup and we were fishing just about daily year round to the point that a local paper wrote about us. I don’t know what my point is other than these things seem to skip generations and so you never know which grandkid might want it. But then again it’s just a possession. Anyway, it’s a beauty, thanks for sharing the pictures.

dmjlambert 07-21-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crappie Hog (Post 8305699)
Well here I go again since I purchased this truck two years ago I have done nothing more than wash it and have driven it a total of 3 times around the neighborhood. Now having an original 72 is not a bad thing but it just doesn't do it for me.

This is quite a fantastic truck you have there. I can't say I understand the part about driving it around the neighborhood 3 times in 2 years. And "doesn't do it for me." huh? I'm not sure what you are expecting it to do for you, but it seems you have not given it a chance to do anything. :-) I suggest get behind the wheel and start driving. Right now. There's a store somewhere way across town or across the county that has a 2x4 board or cone of ice cream, or something else you want, and your truck needs to go get that right now. Take it up to a boot store way across the county and buy yourself a bolo tie and cowboy hat to ride with. Even if you don't wear that sort of thing, hang the bolo tie from the mirror and set the cowboy hat on the passenger seat. If you have other means of transportation, set those aside and don't even wash them, or get rid of them for now, and drive the heck out of this 72. Take it everywhere. See everyone. See if it grows on you. I've heard 21 days makes a habit. Not taking it out daily may be keeping you from getting enthused about it. After you drive it a lot, if the idea comes to you to make a major modifications, go ahead and start chopping on it. But I recommend start with getting to know it thoroughly in its present state. 68bowtie made the ultimate statement, it’s just a possession. Don't worry about preserving it for somebody else, even family members. It's for you. No dilemma for you, dilemmas are for other people.

I mean no disrespect for you or the dilemma you thought you had, just trying to give you some encouragement here! Super nice vehicle you have there.

If you're not moving you can't have a direction.

Crappie Hog 07-21-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 8305860)
When I was around 10 my grandpa died. My grandma asked my parents if my brother and I had any interest in his fishing boat. I don’t know what my point is other than these things seem to skip generations and so you never know which grandkid might want it. But then again it’s just a possession. Anyway, it’s a beauty, thanks for sharing the pictures.

68bowtie after reading your statement it dawned on me that for the guys on this board. If they were to pass there trucks down to family members. Just think how great it would be if they came to this board years after where gone and could look up all of there grandfathers fathers old post. Think Ill make something with all my internet names on it so family will have something to google.

Crappie Hog 07-21-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8305909)
This is quite a fantastic truck you have there. I can't say I understand the part about driving it around the neighborhood 3 times in 2 years. And "doesn't do it for me." huh?

If you're not moving you can't have a direction.

lol dmjlambert that was a really good read. The truck its self rides better than my 2008 Its the driving it in its original state that doesn't do it for me. Just the turn of the key in my Dads 72 did it for me the sweet sound of the headers and glass packs and a tap on the pedal thats what I really miss

dmjlambert 07-21-2018 07:51 PM

Well heck, then you really don't have a dilemma. Chop the muffler out of there and insert glass pack, and you'll be on your way to bliss. While you're at it, add an electric cut out so you can really make some noise, glass packs are too quiet. Then drive the heck out of it. The more you drive it the more ideas about other stuff will come to you.

jocko 07-21-2018 09:46 PM

Well, if this helps, I was in the exact same dilemma, and with the exact same truck. I mean EXACT with the exception of mine having the black Cheyenne interior. I went the direction you're thinking - I sold it, long ago, and have regretted it ever since. Yours is much nice than mine. Find a project or upgrade to keep you busy on it and keep it, maybe the grandkids will want it. Or their kids. Or, more likely, a few years down the road, you'll realize YOU still want it, and will be glad you kept it.

stsalvage 07-21-2018 10:31 PM

I have the same problem.I've found out if i restore it and paint it I can't use it as a truck to worried that i might scratch it.I hate living like that i will put a GPS tracking device on it and 2 kill switches.But i'm to the point that i might get a 2-400.00 paint job for it a 1 stage.Leave the dents.Then i'm not so sub contuses about a shopping cart banging up against my bed.

That's why i can't do a full on restore to any of my stuff there will be people that want to wreck it or Key it or steel it.

I want to go any where i want with out worries

stsalvage 07-21-2018 10:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I think all these old trucks should have the old trailer mirrors or better known as Grampa mirrors.I'm more fond of the 1 stage paint not much of a clear coat my self I like rubbing and buffing a shine that me

Joesjunk 07-22-2018 08:41 AM

Nice truck, I would still like to come over and check that truck out sometime. I would like to have it. I sent you a PM.

Thanks, Joe

davepl 07-22-2018 09:52 AM

Not to tell you what to do with any particular unit, but I know for me I like t go back and forth. I do one totally bone stock and then the next one modified.

Keeps some variety!

ncpetersc 07-22-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crappie Hog (Post 8305828)
Funny you should say that ncpetersc it seems that my youngest grandson only 3 years old is drawn to that Truck like crazy. Every time they come over hes got to sit in it and hates to get out. The two older grandsons pay no attention to it what so ever.

There ya go! Sounds like you have a winner.

Daaaanz67 07-22-2018 04:32 PM

Keep it drive it. Enjoy it, life is to short. My truck puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

bill3rail 07-22-2018 05:30 PM

Drive it and take the grandkids out for a drive to get Ice cream or go to a batting cage or something else they enjoy. Make sure you give them actual film pictures of the trips. If nothing else they will remember grandpa's Sunday drives to a memorable place!

Maybe the next generation will be on the Wayback Machine pulling up our posts saying "This sounds like my grandfather."

Bill