The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can I lower the ECE 4/6 drop kit further? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=817460)

thallman 01-25-2021 01:40 AM

Can I lower the ECE 4/6 drop kit further?

I have the ECE 4/6 drop kit currently, however, I was wanting to go lower in the front. I was wondering if I could swap out lowering springs to achieve this? It came with 1.5" drop springs, but I saw where Performance Online has drop springs in 2", 3", and 4" drops. If I bought the 4" drop springs that would theoretically get me from a 4" drop in the front to a 6.5" drop in the front. Is it that simple or is there more to it?

Thanks.

Tx Firefighter 01-25-2021 07:14 AM

Re: Can I lower the ECE 4/6 drop kit further?

Yes, you can replace the current ECE 1.5 springs with something more aggressive. I'd really urge you not to go below a 3 inch spring though. That's 5.5 total drop and that's quite a lot. Beyond that you might look into options like crossmember mods or even a dropmember setup.

SCOTI 01-25-2021 10:35 AM

x2.

The shorter the coil spring, the less travel there is & the closer the contact points up front come to the road surface.

Measure your lower a-arm @ it's current lowest spot.
Measure the lower a-arm mounting shaft pivot points.

How far is it off the road surface now?

thallman 01-25-2021 11:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I will go for the 3" lowering springs then. I was thinking about a PB dropmember, however, I think the 3" lowering springs will give me a good stance, and will be a lot less work given it the rest of the ECE kit is already installed.

Thanks again.

thallman 01-25-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8869576)
x2.

The shorter the coil spring, the less travel there is & the closer the contact points up front come to the road surface.

Measure your lower a-arm @ it's current lowest spot.
Measure the lower a-arm mounting shaft pivot points.

How far is it off the road surface now?

I'm not sure, it is on an uneven surface at the moment.

SCOTI 01-25-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thallman (Post 8869633)
I'm not sure, it is on an uneven surface at the moment.

Then measure the closer of the sides. That's what you'll be dealing w/when driving (roads are never always flat).

I've always had lowered trucks/cars. They suck to drive when they're lowered in such a way that compromises the 'ability to drive'. Constantly bottoming out. A-arms impacting uneven road surfaces. Tires buzzing the sheet metal.

Driving something low but still has clearance should be the goal.