The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   tongue and grove for truck bed floor? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=789769)

slepysal 07-06-2019 01:36 AM

tongue and grove for truck bed floor?

The time has come to replace my old ply wood floor
I have a chance to get some 12 inch wide tongue and grove off of a tractor trailer floor.

Has any one used tongue and grove for truck bed floor on their daily driver?
Can I use it as is? or do I have to worry about expansion. I do not have any bed strips.
Any tips would be great.

jayoldschool 07-06-2019 11:04 AM

Re: tongue and grove for truck bed floor?

The thickness is important, the bed sits on the wood. If the wood is good, and free, I would:
- plane to thickness
- rip to factory widths
- add factory edge details
- add bed strips

jocko 07-06-2019 11:06 AM

While I can't say one way or the other whether it will work, my gut feeling is not very well (without bed strips, and relying on the t&g for longitudinal clamping) - unless you have some other means of holding the floor level/preventing buckling. The bed strips serve the purpose of locking it all in. That would be my only concern, buckling, warping with no longitudinal hold-down mechanism. Possible to get bed strips of someone parting a truck and then rip the 9" planks to size with the appropriate rabbets to make the stock strips work? (EDIT: and jay makes a great point I didn't think about, thickness needs to be correct -I thought semi trailer floors were quite a bit thicker than bed wood, dunno tho)

shp4man 07-06-2019 12:45 PM

I was going to go with exterior plywood but am now thinking about 3/4 x 8in x 8 ft pine siding. About $50 for the lumber.

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...8_10892843.jpg

nsb29 07-06-2019 01:28 PM

Originally it was yellow pine don’t think white pine will last long

jayoldschool 07-06-2019 02:16 PM

shp4man: 8' lengths aren't long enough for a long bed. In case you have LWB.

cj847 07-06-2019 03:32 PM

Wood expands and contracts across the grain. Using tongue and groove essentially produces a piece of wood 5' wide, which will expand and contract substantially. You can use it but:

-If you put it in during the humid summer months it might be OK.
-If you put it in during winter, leave about a 1/8 - 1/4" gap between boards.

Even at that I think that the gaps are going to fill with dirt, etc during the year and the next time it expands it will likely break the groove.

Not a problem for a garage kept show truck.

What might be cool and within your budget is to use 2 - 3 bed strips with the rest T&G. Will give a custom look.

mongocanfly 07-06-2019 03:47 PM

''Using tongue and groove essentially produces a piece of wood 5' wide, "
thats some wide wood ya got there cj...!!!!!..haha

slepysal 07-06-2019 05:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the input . This is what I wound up getting

They are 1" thick so I will plane them down cut the tongue off seal them with some Thompson seal round up some strips and call it done.

Attachment 1917037

Attachment 1917041

Attachment 1917042

shp4man 07-06-2019 05:45 PM

slepysal, that stuff looks really durable.

oem4me 07-06-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slepysal (Post 8554133)
Thanks for all the input . This is what I wound up getting

They are 1" thick so I will plane them down cut the tongue off seal them with some Thompson seal round up some strips and call it done.

Of all the attempts I've seen at re-doing a bed with something other than stock, this is by far my favorite. I think it's going to look quite good!

slepysal 07-06-2019 09:14 PM

Rough cut the planks and laid them out over the old plywood floor. I also got a line on some used bed strips ( or I might try to fab some up, looks like I will need 5 plus the 4 short wheel well ones . Thanks to all of you you for the tips
OEM4ME, hope it turns out ........ stay tuned

slepysal 07-06-2019 09:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry forgot to add the pics
for some reason they came out side ways :waa
Attachment 1917105

Attachment 1917106

Attachment 1917107

Getter-Done 07-06-2019 09:44 PM

Looking Good.
I am in to see the result.
You got a good thing going.

cj847 07-08-2019 09:56 AM

That is awesome. Since the wood is laminated it will not swell as bad as a solid board. I bet you could get by with two bed strips.

Is that 18 wheeler bed floor material? It is going to look great.

WorkinLonghorn 07-08-2019 01:23 PM

That's called "Butcher Block" right? Where did you find it?

LostMy65 07-08-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn (Post 8555048)
That's called "Butcher Block" right? Where did you find it?

I'm liking it.
Yes, it reminds me of Butcher Block also:
https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/...54/1579669.jpg
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...74-64_1000.jpg

slepysal 07-08-2019 08:39 PM

Thanks I have an idea on making some strips. Was going to use Thompson seal, Marine Spar or linseed oi

Hoping it turns out ! The wood was from a box van that had the floor replaced

Yea looks like butcher block !!

Im thinking of installing an under bed tank while the wood is off too...

slepysal 07-09-2019 03:54 PM

So I am not finding anyone who is willing to plane the boards down to 3/4". I was wondering if the following ideas would work. 1st. I could leave the new boards on top of my old plywood and secure them with strips an lag bolts through the plywood floor. Or 2nd. Cut a 1/4 " deep by 1" wide rabbet that would allow the wood to go under the bed frame bevel the edge and secure the boards with strips and blots. Again I appreciate any feedback positive or negative

oem4me 07-09-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slepysal (Post 8555698)
So I am not finding anyone who is willing to plane the boards down to 3/4".

Why? Understandable if there are random bits of nails or broken screws embedded. It's a hell of a lot of work, but you can do it yourself with a router and homemade surfacing jig.

slepysal 07-09-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 8555758)
Why? Understandable if there are random bits of nails or broken screws embedded. It's a hell of a lot of work, but you can do it yourself with a router and homemade surfacing jig.

Good idea! Now I have an excuse to get a router👍

LostMy65 07-09-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slepysal (Post 8555698)
So I am not finding anyone who is willing to plane the boards down to 3/4". I was wondering if the following ideas would work. 1st. I could leave the new boards on top of my old plywood and secure them with strips an lag bolts through the plywood floor. Or 2nd. Cut a 1/4 " deep by 1" wide rabbet that would allow the wood to go under the bed frame bevel the edge and secure the boards with strips and blots. Again I appreciate any feedback positive or negative

I wouldn't think you'd have to plane the whole board down to 3/4", but just a grove at the bottom of the boards where the cross supports are.

slepysal 07-09-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8555888)
I wouldn't think you'd have to plane the whole board down to 3/4", but just a grove at the bottom of the boards where the cross supports are.

My idea was to trim the boards to allow them to slide under all the bed sides.

slepysal 07-14-2019 01:00 AM

I started the tear down today but was only able to get 1/2 off,will post pics tomorrow

slepysal 07-16-2019 12:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am doing 1/2 at a time.You can see one board in the rear corner.
The boards are acutely 1 1/8" thick so I used my table saw to make a 3/4 inch cut and one inch rabbet in an extra board and will use it as a guide to set the saw height and with. I am only going to cut down the boards that go under the bed frame and wheel wells the other boards will be left as they are.
I will knock off the edge (round the boards ) and use some diamond plate that I have to protect the board ends at the back of the bed. Still debating on the finish.
Attachment 1920053

Attachment 1920054