The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Glasspacks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=39285)

68gmcjon 02-04-2003 08:49 PM

Glasspacks

If i have mufflers that just clamp on to my pipe couldn't i unclamp them and put in glass packs that are relatively the same size? or will i have to cut?:confused: :D

HotRod929 02-04-2003 08:52 PM

You sould just be able to clamp the glass packs in so long as they are the same length and diameter as your old one. However glasspacks tend to be longer that your usual muffler.

HotRod

68gmcjon 02-04-2003 09:15 PM

I know they do tend to be longer. Which are better the longer or shorter glasspacks, or is there a change in sound?:D

MU72 02-04-2003 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Longer glasspacks are quieter and more mellow. The shorter ones are louder and more aggressive. If you don't want it to be too loud you should go with 18 or 24 inchers. Or you could do like I did and go all out with 12 inchers. Sounds great

68gmcjon 02-04-2003 09:56 PM

Barn or anyone in the SC kansas area know where i can get some cheeeep glass packs?

71Seth 02-04-2003 10:04 PM

I have 12" pacs on my 71. Truck sounds very very good. Really gets attention comming out of a curve and down a stright away, or just good ole roasting of the tires. But then again i would run open headers if I could!!!!!! :-)

casey 02-04-2003 10:47 PM

Changing your mufflers really depends on weather they welded those b@tchs on or not , thats a little trick those muffler shops like to play, welding mufflers on, they never did that from the factory, and you used to be able to change mufflers no problem.And as far as glasspacs go you can use any straight through muffler and get great sound, theres some real cheapes out there that will work great for playin the pipes, don't pay for the name.

benwantland 02-07-2003 02:52 AM

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/tbolt1.htm I got 2 12" glasspacks from these guys for $25 shipped for my Ford. Of course, they use a louvered core, which makes them a little quieter and also slightly more restrictive, but I just needed cheap mufflers. You can get Dynomax glasspacks at Advance Auto or from www.summitracing.com for under $20 each. They are my favorite becuause they have smooth cores and also are availible in a lot of different configurations.

Oborny71 02-07-2003 05:05 PM

like mentioned earlier, some muffler shops weld you mufflers on. Any good muffler shop will only clamp them on so that they can be easily changed, and you don't weld every thing because your exhaust system needs to be able to take a little bit of "twist" in it. If you weld everything your chances of blowing exhaust gaskets is greater. Just some of my previous experiances

HotRod929 02-07-2003 05:29 PM

What would the sound difference be b/w a 26" glasspack and an 18" glass pack? Would it be very noticable? Thanks

HotRod

crazy longhorn 02-07-2003 06:10 PM

I think there are a lot of "myths" about welded exhaust! I worked in a muff shop for about a yr, & we didnt weld eveything.....or weld things to get a repeat customer over parts he couldnt change. A lot of guys would request a welded system (yes sir!), & some would say "I dont want anything welded" (again, yes sir!). Personally, I prefer a welded system & my longhorn is welded. As far as taking a welded system apart......no problem, I have a torch! the system on my longhorn was done on the floor in my garage, & has a welded H pipe,muffs, & tailpipes. ...it hasnt caused any problems. I have a straight run from the headers to the muffs(a 3 degree kink in the pass side to make line with the collector), & 2 notched crossmembers(1 custom from scratch). thje 3" tail pipes are mandrel bent, & exit ahead of the rear wheels.....yes it loud! As far as glass pcks, I dont like them.... but if you run them the longer ones are a lot more mellow......& stick them as far to the rear as you can , or the heat will burn the packing out......then you might as well have saved the cash & just ran pipe. Good luck.....crazyL:bowtie: