The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   clicking in front drivers side 4X4 hub (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=801290)

jaros44sr 02-15-2020 12:55 PM

clicking in front drivers side 4X4 hub

Started to work on front hub, assembled with original bearings, now I have a click at the 3 o'clock, tightened first locking nut with no change. PO was in here and ground the bearing seats some what. wondering what the fix might be, starting with bearings or replace spindle

A1971Blazer 02-16-2020 10:30 AM

Re: clicking in front drivers side 4X4 hub

I may be stating the obvious here...if so forgive me
the first spanner nut is the bearing adjustment nut....it should not be "tight" as it sets the correct pre-load on the bearings.
The retaining washer....with all the holes...goes next to maintain the position of the first spanner nut.
Then the outer "locking" spanner nut goes on.....it should be "tight" ...it keeps the hub fastened to the spindle..
As for the grinding....I don't know....have a picture?

litebulblsc 02-16-2020 10:42 AM

There is more information and pictures in his build thread

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...10641&page=129

jaros44sr 02-16-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8679329)
I may be stating the obvious here...if so forgive me
the first spanner nut is the bearing adjustment nut....it should not be "tight" as it sets the correct pre-load on the bearings.
The retaining washer....with all the holes...goes next to maintain the position of the first spanner nut.
Then the outer "locking" spanner nut goes on.....it should be "tight" ...it keeps the hub fastened to the spindle..
As for the grinding....I don't know....have a picture?

Obvious works for me, sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees...

I've adjusted the preloads in and out, repacked bearings(these are used), talked to a shop, that has 50 years experiance, followed the Chilton manual to a 'T', it says to back off first nut almost 90 degrees. still has a click.

So, you go back to the last thing you did, and I had rotors pressed on the hub, as I was laying the hub assembly on the ground, it didn't sound right, after further thought, I looked into the rotor, and it was loose on the hub, they used the old wheel studs, but it was only loose in one section.

Now I'm on the search for correct wheel studs, and have them pressed in to see if that is the problem. My first thought was brearings, since that would be the cheapest fix first, but the most obvious thing points to the wheel studs

The owner of the shop said the drivers side is the one he has seen the most problems with, since the rotation of the tire tends to loosen the spanner nut, he said to tighten the outside nut to 100 ft/lbs

jaros44sr 02-16-2020 01:20 PM

Thanks litebulblsc for posting up, wish I knew how to post a link

litebulblsc 02-16-2020 05:43 PM

Just a simple copy and paste.

Highlight the site address, "right click" on it and click copy, then paste that in the reply area

jaros44sr 02-17-2020 10:58 AM

spent some time to bolt up wheel and tire(100 ft/lbs) torque, spun the tire and no click, so the answer was rotor was not seated, onto lock out and finish up drivers side

removed wheel and tire and no clicking

A1971Blazer 02-17-2020 11:42 AM

Glad to hear it was something simple...