The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Squealing noise when on gas in reverse, now ....... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=757189)

dirish 02-15-2018 05:20 PM

Squealing noise when on gas in reverse, now .......

Now no fwd gears. Works in 4x4.
New crate install, new torque converter. 10 miles on it since new converter. 4x4 moves truck , also hubs were not locked in? Any ideas.

SeventyOne 02-15-2018 09:53 PM

Re: Squealing noise when on gas in reverse, now .......

Wait so when in 4WD (high?) and with the hubs unlocked it drives - so it must be RWD right?

But take it out of 4WD and you have no forward gears...sounds like a Tcase problem to me if 2Hi isnt working but 4Hi gets you moving.

Please confirm the hubs are unlocked so we know you're moving in RWD mode.

dirish 02-15-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8189110)
Wait so when in 4WD (high?) and with the hubs unlocked it drives - so it must be RWD right?

But take it out of 4WD and you have no forward gears...sounds like a Tcase problem to me if 2Hi isnt working but 4Hi gets you moving.

Please confirm the hubs are unlocked so we know you're moving in RWD mode.

Hubs were unlocked. Worked in 4 lo, 2 hi, didn't try 4 hi.
Hour later back to driving, Not in 4 wd. Steal a awful squeely from somewhere when In reverse with gas applied, nothing at idol in reverse. (When I say driving I mean 5 feet fwd and back) Sounds like converter, but I can't check while it's in reverse. Never ever a issue till pulling motor for a warranty leak repair added torque converter. Rollback home do to weather. Drove about 10 miles. Drove fine.

YoungPup1977 02-17-2018 12:13 AM

take the bolts out of the Torque converter and see if torque converter turns freely...start engine while TC is disconnected and see if noise goes away...

Sounds like the pump gears are NOT into the TC correctly... I have seen this where the trans works fine but slowly wears down the pump gears...

You can remove the cooler lines, start engine with TC connected.... and see if any pressure lost....make sure you do not spray ATF all over the place....

What kind of trans do you have ? Did you leave trans in vehicle while you replaced the engine ? How did you install the NEW TC into the trans ?

dirish 02-17-2018 08:43 AM

Thanks Guys! Th350.
A mechanic friend is gonna check it out today.
I really want to know the problem before I take it back to shop. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!!

dirish 02-17-2018 06:51 PM

Re: UpDATE squealing noise when on gas in reverse, now .......

I'm embarrassed to say..... the transfer case was bumed into nuetral. I put in 2hi as it should be, all is well. PTL

YoungPup1977 02-17-2018 10:35 PM

What do ya think was making the noise ? The Noise is gone now right... what does it mean when TC is bumed into neutral

SeventyOne 02-18-2018 01:48 AM

I think he meant "bumPed" into Neutral?

Still shouldn't have made that sound..and i'm not sure why he said the truck moved?

In summary i'm confused with the story and what happened when.

dirish 02-18-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8190959)
I think he meant "bumPed" into Neutral?

Still shouldn't have made that sound..and i'm not sure why he said the truck moved?

In summary i'm confused with the story and what happened when.

Sorry for confusion. I believe trasfercase shifter was bumped enough to be inbetween? Partial in Partial out? A a small amount of throttle and it disengaged to nuetral. If I put transfer case back in 2 hi all seems fine. Im truly hoping this is the cause.after Engaging to 2hi, it doesn't have any issues. All this was in garage cleaning, no real drive time. I'll know in a few when I drive it. Hoping it is good
I believe noise was transfer case and tranny not fully meshed do to partially out of 2hi. Then it was fully in nuetral, casing tranny to just rev.

YoungPup1977 02-19-2018 07:48 PM

This forum is better than watching CNN but its getting close to it....:smoke:

robs71k5 02-21-2018 05:17 AM

Quit pushing so hard on the gas pedal :-)