The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   jeep steering column swap?!? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=652714)

bucannon 12-12-2014 12:09 PM

jeep steering column swap?!?

i have read about people using jeep XJ colums in our trucks since they use U-joints instead of the old rag joint.

so in theory, i can get an XJ column with tilt and bolt it into my truck(and yes I will put the chevy steering wheel back on :chevy: ).

I have been attempting to replace my ignition switch so the column is already almost out. figured I should upgrade to a tilt column but i want to keep it on a junkyard budget.

what other colums will work? like will an 80's S-10 column work?

bucannon 12-12-2014 12:24 PM

Re: jeep steering column swap?!?

I found a video on Youtube where some guy explains just the steering shaft swap. not exactly bolt in but, straightforward. Im looking to swap the entire column

I dont know how to embed the video, yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9C4RdvjPNQ

bucannon 12-12-2014 12:27 PM

figured it out :metal:

slotard 12-12-2014 12:40 PM

Hmm, I'll have to consider doing that.

Speaking of tilt columns and ignition cylinders, can they be removed without the key? I'd like to upgrade to a tilt column but if I can't get the cylinder out of a junkyard one (to install a new cylinder), it's a different story...

bucannon 12-12-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slotard (Post 6954702)
Hmm, I'll have to consider doing that.

Speaking of tilt columns and ignition cylinders, can they be removed without the key? I'd like to upgrade to a tilt column but if I can't get the cylinder out of a junkyard one (to install a new cylinder), it's a different story...

yeah, you remove the lock cylinder by pulling off the steering wheel. you remove several screws and plastic components and you are at the lock cylinder, which comes out with one screw. no key is needed, just patience.

but does anyone out there know what vehicles other than the full size trucks/blazers etc i can pull the tilt column from that will bolt in?

riz 12-12-2014 02:03 PM

What year Jeep XJ has that steering shaft?

RIZ

slotard 12-12-2014 02:05 PM

On non-tilt columns it needs to be unlocked so that's why I was checking. You also need to punch a hole in the casting with a screwdriver to get it out.

I haven't heard of other swap options, hopefully someone knows some.

bucannon 12-12-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riz (Post 6954774)
What year Jeep XJ has that steering shaft?

RIZ

accordind to the video its mid 80's to early 90's cherokee, which is to me is the run of the XJ. now i have heard on pirate 4x4 that it may only be limited and grand cherokees but i dont know for certain.

GMC Guy 12-12-2014 07:44 PM

just pulled one from a Pick N Pull, what a PITA to get to... makes me appreciate all the wrenching room we have even more.
And of coarse, it wasn't til after i got it out that i noticed the rubber insulation was chewed up :thud:
doesn't feel like there's any play, maybe it'll be alright. Cost was $13.99... we'll see if it was worth it.

slotard 12-12-2014 07:48 PM

I read that Grand Cherokee columns don't work.

Does it just help reduce slop or is there some other advantage? Mine seems pretty tight...

sgr60 12-12-2014 10:29 PM

I bought one on ebay this week - still some more for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141470182928...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ski-me 12-13-2014 11:06 AM

I just pulled one from a standard Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee)....kind of a pain to get it out. Once out though, not too bad getting it into the Blazer. I only did the steering shaft, not the whole column. I just wanted to get rid the rag joint and tighten up the steering. It worked out quite well and I'm pleased with the result.

There are two different versions of XJ shafts too.

bdiamond 12-13-2014 03:00 PM

Yeah, Grand Cherokee will NOT work. 84-01 Cherokee XJ Jeep is the one you want. Be careful pulling your existing shaft. The clip that holds the brake lines together under the master cylinder is sharp as a razor. Ask me how I know....I'd remove it before I tried the swap.

sgr60 12-13-2014 06:01 PM

I just installed mine along with a new steering box. The shaft went in great, just having some problems with the new box. Have a leak at one of the lines and there's a bunch of air in the fluid.

Ski-me 12-13-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgr60 (Post 6956125)
I just installed mine along with a new steering box. The shaft went in great, just having some problems with the new box. Have a leak at one of the lines and there's a bunch of air in the fluid.

I'm in the middle of mine (04 Yukon XL)....new pump and box. Although mine is newer, one of the suggestions I got was to jack the front end up in the air (both tires) and with the engine off, cycle the steering about 20-40 times. Mine is a hydroboost system but I would think the same method could be applied. Just check periodically to be sure the reservoir doesn't run out.

sgr60 12-13-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ski-me (Post 6956231)
I'm in the middle of mine (04 Yukon XL)....new pump and box. Although mine is newer, one of the suggestions I got was to jack the front end up in the air (both tires) and with the engine off, cycle the steering about 20-40 times. Mine is a hydroboost system but I would think the same method could be applied. Just check periodically to be sure the reservoir doesn't run out.

I read that too - just completed it and it seems to be all good. Going to take it out for a drive now.

franken 12-13-2014 08:49 PM

This thread inspired me to run off the the local picnpull and snag a shaft for $12 and tax. 2 bolts on the shaft, 3 on the steering box and off it came. Since the front bumper was gone I figured dropping the box was easier than unbolting the column or trying to collapse the shaft.

Snagged an NP205 shifter for $5 as well.

bucannon 01-08-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 6956387)
This thread inspired me to run off the the local picnpull and snag a shaft for $12 and tax. 2 bolts on the shaft, 3 on the steering box and off it came. Since the front bumper was gone I figured dropping the box was easier than unbolting the column or trying to collapse the shaft.

Snagged an NP205 shifter for $5 as well.

awesome, got any pictures?