The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

67C10Step 08-10-2020 12:38 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8789471)
Switched out the fan clutch and shroud. I expected the “foreign made” shroud to be off some and sure enough it was. The two sides had about a 3/4” bow in them. I laid a straight edge up to it and snapped these pics. I trimmed it to fit and it’s hardly noticeable now. But REALLY?

Boog - You make me even more happy my original shroud is in good shape.

On these two benches is basically the entire front end minus the brake hardware. 2-1/2" drop spindles, new stock height springs, etc. Got the tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves mocked up loosely on the drag link, new rubber bumpers in the upper A arms, new ball joints in the lower A arms. Trying to wrestle the new rubber bumpers in the lower A arms now. New cross shafts, bushings, idler arms, and lower A arm u bolts.

All I really need is some time right now. Well, and some cool weather.

Boog 08-10-2020 12:53 PM

Didn't I see a window air conditioner in your shop when I was there? I have one yet to install however. Maybe next year..;)

67C10Step 08-10-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8789779)
Didn't I see a window air conditioner in your shop when I was there? I have one yet to install however. Maybe next year..;)

Man, I wish. Just some fans out in my shop for now. Hot hot when it's 90+ temp and the humidity is up.

Boog 08-10-2020 10:07 PM

I put in a full day here. Yard work this am and truck work all afternoon. It got up to 98 or so outside and pretty much the same in the shop. ;) I use a fan on a pedestal. Since I saw you I've been moving the engine/tranny to the rear set of frame holes which freed up room between the water pump and radiator since I have the 70's to 80's long water pump setup. I installed a new fan clutch and shroud. Today I redid the exhaust system. I never cared for how the pipes hung down so low and also did not care for the magna blow muffs. I yanked all that off and grabbed the sawzall, grinder, mig welder and went to town on it today. Yeah, it was super hot but I was enjoying what I was getting done so it was a good day. Now tomorrow I don't expect to even open the shop door. :lol:

WorkinLonghorn 08-10-2020 11:08 PM

Eight solid non-stop hours removing hood, all fenders and core support. Installed good core-support and two fenders and re-installed the crappy hood that I have. Still need to install the inners and the grill, than I'm back on the road! Got a chance to use my new Makita cordless impact wrench. Pure joy it was. -BA

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 08-11-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8789455)
Sold it.

Blasphemy;)

72c20customcamper 08-12-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8790584)
Blasphemy;)

Looking for 67 to 72 burban to replace it. I'm a gluton for punishment

BC10 08-13-2020 12:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Put the bed together, and onto the frame! Finally!!!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 08-13-2020 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Measuring for a driveshaft, I thought I better put some weight on the frame just in case, so I loaded a dozen 50 lb. bags in the sweltering heat of Noon & no breeze, half-way through thinking "I'm too old for this *&%".

Good thing I added the weight...........Just kidding, I measured before and after, the weight didn't change a thing:lol: At least I had an excuse to torque the leaf springs.

ThreeQuarter 08-15-2020 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drove it for the first time in 7 years...75 feet to the end of the driveway! Pic below is at the end of my journey. The transmission goes and the brakes stop, but I gotta get the engine tuned up before I go any farther.

Oh, and I washed it for the first time in 5 years.

Sheepdip 08-16-2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeQuarter (Post 8792844)
Drove it for the first time in 7 years...75 feet to the end of the driveway! Pic below is at the end of my journey. The transmission goes and the brakes stop, but I gotta get the engine tuned up before I go any farther.

Can't believe you don't drive that nice looking rig!

BC10 08-16-2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 8792879)
Can't believe you don't drive that nice looking rig!

Time flies, that's for sure. I am loving that truck!

Sheepdip 08-16-2020 12:18 AM

Got my new "Gates" V-Belt installed on my A/C Compressor, I've had it for about a month sitting on the bench in the barn.

My O'Rielly's Duralast rubber band just kept on a stretch'n and finally in slow traffic with higher pressures would slip and squeal, not to mention it was too narrow and bottomed out on the pulleys.

So as hot and humid as it's been I finally broke down and swapped it in this morning.....problem solved!

Love my A/C, even with the fan speed on low it will cool the cab down really nice in
100+ deg. heat.

68bowtie 08-16-2020 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeQuarter (Post 8792844)

Boy, I’m feeling 503 green with envy. That is a thing of beauty! Is there a thread with more history and pictures somewhere?

leddzepp 08-16-2020 02:10 AM

I Drove the 68 today to 3 different parts stores on the hottest day of the year to buy AC parts to restore/fix the AC in my 2001 Yukon XL, while enjoying ice cold air in the 68 that I restored 3 years ago :lol: :crazy:

ThreeQuarter 08-16-2020 07:06 AM

Hey, thanks, it’s nice to hear compliments after years of work to get her to this point. I never made a build thread but here’s a thread from the day I picked it up, it includes a little history. The firewall was Swiss cheese and as everyone here knows, one thing led to another which led to a full resto. Driving it on a weekly basis is the goal, but I have to get the engine right first.

Ol Blue K20 08-16-2020 07:57 AM

Looks great!

67C10Step 08-17-2020 11:26 AM

Spent a few hours yesterday wire wheeling and sand blasting every part of the frame I could get to with the cab still on and engine still in. I'll do the rest at a later date when there is access. No need to get all crazy on a drive quality, rusty old truck. It's already going to look better underneath than on top for a while.

katwalk 08-17-2020 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished up the new suspension.

Ol Blue K20 08-17-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katwalk (Post 8793744)
Finished up the new suspension.

Nice!!!!

Boog 08-17-2020 04:04 PM

I've been hearing about using a few different items to soak metal parts in to remove rust. Over the weekend I soaked a couple pieces of metal in a thin vinegar/water mix and let it sit over night. Since I did not have a pan large enough to completely submerge one part I had to do it one end at a time which didn't work out too well since the exposed end rusted right up and I had to do it all over again to clean that up. The 2nd part I had already wire wheeled heavily and didn't make much headway cleaning it and after over night in the mix it wasn't much better so since it was a thicker piece of metal I used the grinder on it and removed most of the deep rust then returned that part to the mix for a while then it came out acceptable. I washed them both in a baking soda/water mix to neutralize the vinegar's acid. I blow dried them right away and epoxy primed them. For small parts this is easy and cheap enough to do.

ohboy321 08-17-2020 04:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Media blasted and painted a power steering pulley. I have 2 different PS pulleys painted and ready to install...hopefully one of them is correct.

I also put some casters on my fancy painting rack....that way I can spray away from the garage/vehicles and roll it inside to finish drying at night.

SoCoC10 08-17-2020 09:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Installed the gas filler neck gasket. Assembled and installed the fender dust shields and cleaned polished and painted some emblems.

70cst 08-18-2020 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased this ...

OregonNed 08-18-2020 10:20 AM

Oil change, and ready to drive it to work tomorrow