The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering Wheel Installation (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=481671)

srvivor71 08-27-2011 04:13 PM

Steering Wheel Installation

Does any one know what the proper torque for the steering wheel nut is supposed to be? I had my wheel off and since I put it back on, it has been binding up when I drive - instead of returning itself to center, it gets hung up and I have to force it to return to center. I'm thinking I may have overtorqued it and got to wondering what the spec is for this. I haven't been able to find it with a google search.

Also, is the steering column shaft supposed to be able to travel up and down along its length by about 1". That's what mine did. Is that normal?

Any advice appreciated...

sethv 08-27-2011 04:19 PM

Re: Steering Wheel Installation

I'm not too sure of the torque spec, but I always tightened it up snug and then tightened it a quarter more. Its been working flawlessly for me since I put my Grant wheel on 2 months ago.

Stocker 08-27-2011 04:30 PM

I tightened mine the same way sethv did. I didn't think tightening the steering wheel nut had any effect on the wheel returning to center. The only time I experienced centering problems was when monkeying with the adjustment screw on a worn-out steering box.

Your 1" of lengthwise play sounds excessive but I don't know what might cause it. Mine has very little free play.

Sorry I wasn't more help.....

hugger6933 08-27-2011 09:16 PM

sounds like the upper bearing popped up and that is causing the slack. How far into the coloum did you go? I have noticed the upper bearing coming loose with the wheel off before on other models but there should have been a lock ring IIRC to keep that from happining but it may have come loose

ChevLoRay 08-27-2011 09:25 PM

I never torqued 'em. I just put the wheel adapter back on and tightened up everything that either held the adapter to the column, or the wheel to the adapter. If I was able to drive it and the steering wheel stayed where I put it and the vehicle when where it was pointed....I was happy.

srvivor71 08-28-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugger6933 (Post 4868142)
sounds like the upper bearing popped up and that is causing the slack. How far into the coloum did you go? I have noticed the upper bearing coming loose with the wheel off before on other models but there should have been a lock ring IIRC to keep that from happining but it may have come loose

It went down about an inch. I took the top bearing and its carrier out to clean, inspect and grease because something was grinding when I turned the wheel. When I put it back together the shaft had slid down the column so I pulled it back up. Now that it's all back together the wheel is binding.
Posted via Mobile Device

wilbilt 08-28-2011 12:56 PM

The steering shaft end play can be adjusted with the rotating collar at the lower end of the column that houses the lower bearing.

The torque spec for the steering wheel nut is 40 ft. lbs.

srvivor71 08-28-2011 04:41 PM

Perfect! Thanks Wilbilt. And thanks to everyone else too.
:gmc2: