The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Back in the "saddle" again (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=793547)

RocketKing 09-16-2019 09:35 AM

Back in the "saddle" again

2 Attachment(s)
Howdy, I've been gone for quite awhile after I sold my 67, some of you may remember it but its been several years. Welp, found this ole girl the other day and brought it home. All original and very limited on rust (at least what I'm used to!)
I bought it to switch over to a shortbed frame and intending on a different paint color but the more I look at the "saddle" color the more it grows on me so I don't know.
Anyway, its good to be back and let me know what you think about the color, all opinions welcome.

RocketKing 09-16-2019 09:37 AM

Re: Back in the "saddle" again

2 Attachment(s)
nm

68panelman 09-16-2019 09:45 AM

Nice looking truck

LockDoc 09-16-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketKing (Post 8594377)
Howdy, I've been gone for quite awhile after I sold my 67, some of you may remember it but its been several years. Welp, found this ole girl the other day and brought it home. All original and very limited on rust (at least what I'm used to!)
I bought it to switch over to a shortbed frame and intending on a different paint color but the more I look at the "saddle" color the more it grows on me so I don't know.
Anyway, its good to be back and let me know what you think about the color, all opinions welcome.

Try this for the paint.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447159

Quote:

Just use some luke warm water in a bucket, pour some CLR in like its time to mop the floor (meaning not a whole lot is needed) then use a green scotch brite pad and start scrubbing.
LockDoc

Boog 09-16-2019 10:02 AM

That reminds me of my first close up to the 68 Chevy trucks in 71. My girl friend drove a short bed one just like that, engine, color and all, but shortbed. It was a farm truck passed down to her. I've loved these trucks since then.

And welcome back.

RocketKing 09-16-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8594386)

LockDoc

Thanks, I will try that!

RocketKing 09-16-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8594388)
That reminds me of my first close up to the 68 Chevy trucks in 71. My girl friend drove a short bed one just like that, engine, color and all, but shortbed. It was a farm truck passed down to her. I've loved these trucks since then.

And welcome back.

Thank you and great story! I see you're in Searcy, my daughter is going to Harding! Never know we may bump into one another someday.

KMC3420 09-16-2019 11:29 AM

Welcome back, I am a fan of the current paint. I am sure this one will be just as nice as the last one.

72c20customcamper 09-16-2019 04:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like the saddle paint. I was going to go with 503 green but decided on the saddle. Goes well with the white oak . Now I just need to finish the cab

Keep the saddle

RocketKing 09-16-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8594565)
I like the saddle paint. I was going to go with 503 green but decided on the saddle. Goes well with the white oak . Now I just need to finish the cab

Keep the saddle

Man that color with your wood looks great.

saxart 09-16-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8594386)

LockDoc

I have a question about this method. Why does everyone recommend this over just a regular clean up, then buff to shine? Doesn't the Scotch Bright really scuff up (basically ruin) the paint?

LockDoc 09-16-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxart (Post 8594688)
I have a question about this method. Why does everyone recommend this over just a regular clean up, then buff to shine? Doesn't the Scotch Bright really scuff up (basically ruin) the paint?

A regular clean up won't remove the rust. If anyone is worried about the Scotch Brite just use a regular sponge. On a truck like this the paint is pretty much ruined anyway so what is there to lose.....

LockDoc

special-K 09-17-2019 06:46 AM

Welcome back

All of these original paint colors look great, but many look like puppy poop when faded and dull. When ever I was getting one fixed up for paint and people would ask "What color are you painting it?" and I'd say "Same color" I'd always get an "Ohhh" that was less then enthusiastic. Then they'd come see it all fresh and shiny saying "That looks beautiful" and "I love that color!". I would paint it back to original.

old51sedan 09-17-2019 08:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I think the saddle looks great, I like the idea of making it into a SB.

67C10Step 09-17-2019 09:07 AM

I like the saddle color and saddle/white really looks good to me. I'd say go back stock and you'll be happy with the results.

My truck was originally vermillion so I am looking at a variation of that for the exterior when I get to the repaint point.

special-K 09-17-2019 11:30 PM

And another point I'd like to make about staying with original color. If going with base coat/clear coat it will take on a whole new look you may find even looks better than original. Especially the Polys.

68bowtie 09-17-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketKing (Post 8594377)

Great looking truck. They are only original once! And it's a two-tone...

72c20customcamper 09-18-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketKing (Post 8594685)
Man that color with your wood looks great.

Not sure how to respond to that. :lol: . But the wood :lol: had been air dried for 4 years before I used it

Warrens69GMC 09-18-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8595541)
Not sure how to respond to that. :lol: . But the wood :lol: had been air dried for 4 years before I used it

Could have said "Your wood and the Truck looks good" :smoke:

old51sedan 09-21-2019 08:49 AM

Special-k is correct on the paint. Mine is painted with base coat/clear coat. After the paint was put on, I thought this don't look all that great, but after the clear coat, the whole thing just popped, what a difference. My wood also came out of the top of a barn, had been air dried for 5-6 years. It was 5/4 and we plained it down to 3/4's. I install the gas fill on the inside of the box and also eliminated the hold down bolts, I believe it gives it a cleaner look and it's a little different.