The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   windshield install (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=834651)

tjc 05-19-2022 02:48 PM

windshield install

Well I hired a local glass company to install my new windshield, and gasket and new stainless in 68 c10. It did not go well they used a hammer on the the stainless and left 4 dents in it. Who is responsible for replacing it. They just left and said have a nice day.

Grumpy old man 05-19-2022 03:36 PM

Re: windshield install

Whoever had the hammer in their hand , Call them up and start Bit@!n . :sumo:

indymachinist 05-19-2022 10:00 PM

They are responsible for that.

If you ask them nicely to remedy the situation and they decline…. bad reviews online seem to change attitudes quickly.

truckster 05-19-2022 10:03 PM

And if that doesn't work there's always small claims court.

ThreeQuarter 05-23-2022 10:54 PM

Tom, I would definitely lean into that business owner to make it right. If they can’t do it right they should know when to quit or be ready to pay for damage they caused. Hammering the trim doesn’t achieve anything, anyway.

Did they at least get the windshield seated correctly and sealed? Do you have the option of taking some $$ for the damages (if you choose) and driving it as-is, or will the whole thing need to be re-installed to be done right?

FleetsidePaul 05-24-2022 02:15 AM

They are totally responsible for repairing the damage that they caused. But here's the catch. They sound like they are going to blow you off and stonewall you. If you took them to court you would most likely win but it's a PITA. Ask me how I know. Trash them online and see if that wakes them up. I'm sorry for your troubles. Someone in business should stand behind their work.

Peanut74 05-24-2022 10:19 AM

Definitely the installers on the hook to fix it.
My questions are how big are the dents and are you shooting for a show truck or daily driver. As stated above if you can live with the dents go for partial refund.

Sounds like the trim popped up some and that is why they used a hammer. My installer had the same issue but said it would pop in once everything relaxed. If it didn't pop in just call him and he would come out and fix it. Me being OCD it drove me crazy after a couple days so I fixed myself. No big deal used a trim tool to keep the gasket from moving and used a rubber mallet to get the trim below the glass and grab.

Good luck and keep us posted

diggerbob 05-25-2022 08:59 PM

Must've been a gun control glass installer... beat the trim in with a hammer and then blame it on the hammer.

Smitty 05-25-2022 10:46 PM

In my opinion Remarks like this don’t belong on this site!

rockyrivermark 05-26-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggerbob (Post 9083549)
Must've been a gun control glass installer... beat the trim in with a hammer and then blame it on the hammer.

My lord that’s in bad taste after the last 2 weeks events.
Moderator please delete this garbage asap.

Ironangel 05-28-2022 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggerbob (Post 9083549)

What an awful thing to say! This forum is better than comments like that!

FleetsidePaul 05-28-2022 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironangel (Post 9084316)
What an awful thing to say! This forum is better than comments like that!

It wasn't that bad. Come on. Give the guy a break. Words cant hurt you unless you let them.

69cam 05-28-2022 11:44 AM

Sorry to change the subject, but can we get some pics of/story on your 68 l88 c10?

toolboxchev 05-28-2022 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 9081125)
Whoever had the hammer in their hand , Call them up and start Bit@!n . :sumo:

I would go talk to the guy with the hammer and ask to borrow it as the job is not yet done.:devil:

This stuff never ends sometimes.