The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First post here,A/C question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=33233)

hecticblasts 12-16-2002 01:23 PM

First post here,A/C question

I'm new here,I've been watching and reading threads for a while and I think this is the ultimate site on '67-'72 chevy/gmc trucks.With that said here it goes.
I have a '72 C-20 with a/c,p/s,p/b.It's a nice truck and all the a/c is there altough not working at this time.I figured once I decide to refurbish it I may run into some $$$ replacing hoses,compressor,odds and ends,etc.I'm considering replacing the stock unit with an aftermarket one to upgrade to 134a and to unclutter the engine bay area.Has anyone here used an aftermarket unit in this manner,was it worth the change over to you,any pictures? I'm particulary interested in one kit that eliminates the a/c box under the hood and comes with a flat cover for the firewall with the four holes for the hoses and uses the sanden compressor.Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.HF

PS.If I could I would suggest to Mr.W to use all of my federally witheld income tax for the last 20 yrs. into a nice piece of new hardware to be delivered by air mail, of course,to one Sadam Hussein in time for Christmas.:flag:

Randy70C-10 12-16-2002 02:43 PM

Sorry, I don't have any info but I would like to see some pics as well. I'll be doing the same thing to my truck, and any info would be great.
Welcome to the board from Virginia, there are quite a few members from NC. :cool:

wnc mountain 12-16-2002 02:58 PM

Welcome from western nc.
Sorry I don't have any info either. My truck has no a/c. But I have seen a post about a similar subject, I think.

Hutch 12-16-2002 05:59 PM

Welcome From Texas
The two most common are the Vintage Air and Old Air.
Both have the smooth firewall.
Use the search option at the top of the page to find previous posts on these vendors and subjects.
After having completely refurbished my original A/C and switching over to R134
I found I had about the same $ into it as I would have spent on one of new units and the new ones work a lot better.
Sounds like you are on the right track
Also the vendors listed on the Home page sell these units also and are more familiar with the chevy truck application of them.

Have fun

Rod 12-16-2002 11:37 PM

Welcome from :canada:

DanoDMano 12-16-2002 11:41 PM

Welcome from Washington. And I also would contribute my tax returns for such a cause!!!!!:bowtie:

Zurbo 12-17-2002 02:51 AM

I redone mine and kept it all POA and R-12 for now. If I had it to do all over again I would have went CCOT and bit the bullet with R-134a. I wanted to keep it stock looking since the truck is an unmolested original minus the front grill and running boards.

Hooter 12-17-2002 03:20 AM

Welcome from British Columbia. I think vintage air's kit looks really clean personally

Andy4639 12-17-2002 08:00 AM

A/C

I changed mine out to 134-A, but kept the factory stuff under the hood and inside the cab. It has been working fine now for 3years. I did change out the factory poa valve to a late model acumalator system. I'm very pleased with the system and bought everything form the junk yard. You can see some pictures in my signatures. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. Welcome to the board.
:bowtie: :bowtie: :bowtie:

hecticblasts 12-17-2002 12:45 PM

Thanks for the welcome.Randy,I lived 14 yrs, between Newport News and Suffolk and married a girl from Franklin.I'm very familiar with your neck of the woods.Thanks for the feedback,I'm leaning towards the Vintage Air unit on account of their rods units,several of my friends have them in their rods and wouldn't use anything else.Old Air units seem very comparable and are 2 or 3 hundred dolls. cheaper but I don't know anyone using them.HF

busterwivell 12-17-2002 03:01 PM

I'm hopin' Santa brings me the Vintage Air unit next week. I talked with the Vintage Air people at Goodguys DelMar. The kit is roughly $1000.00 I've seen them installed in our trucks and they sure unclutter the firewall and underdash areas. My truck is an AC truck, and everything seems to be there, but by the time I replace all the possible problems, I'd still have as much invested in 30 year old parts instead of new.