The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   79 Chevy Truck Vinyl Bench Seat Help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=669009)

79 Silverado/454 04-30-2015 09:20 AM

79 Chevy Truck Vinyl Bench Seat Help

Can someone please post a picture of your original vinyl bench seat. I need a good picture of the seat along with the measurements of the pleats and where they are located. Also the buttons across the back , the size of the buttons as well. Pictures of the measurements would also be very helpful.

I have contacted SMS fabrics and they can help with the material but, my upholstery shop needs something to go by to do the seat correctly. IIRC 78-80 used the same pattern on the vinyl seats in the Bonanza , Cheyenne, Scottsdale & Silverado trucks so pictures from these years & trucks would also be helpful.

My truck is a Silverado & the RPO code in my glove box is "XDD1". Any help would be much appreciated !

79 Silverado/454 05-01-2015 06:27 AM

Re: 79 Chevy Truck Vinyl Bench Seat Help

Anybody ?

wolverinemotorworks 05-01-2015 09:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine is original vinyl, but not the pleated. It is the original base interior. Ain't she perty!

Bomber78 05-02-2015 12:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 79 Silverado/454 (Post 7154212)
Can someone please post a picture of your original vinyl bench seat. I need a good picture of the seat along with the measurements of the pleats and where they are located. Also the buttons across the back , the size of the buttons as well. Pictures of the measurements would also be very helpful.

I have contacted SMS fabrics and they can help with the material but, my upholstery shop needs something to go by to do the seat correctly. IIRC 78-80 used the same pattern on the vinyl seats in the Bonanza , Cheyenne, Scottsdale & Silverado trucks so pictures from these years & trucks would also be helpful.

My truck is a Silverado & the RPO code in my glove box is "XDD1". Any help would be much appreciated !

Well, here is some photo's of my bench seats on my 78 Scottsdale. Sorry no measurements. I have a seat cover over the seat now to protect the vinyl. Hope this helps.

Bomber78 05-02-2015 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just noticed that my SPID sheet also has the XDD1 code:metal:

79 Silverado/454 05-03-2015 04:24 PM

Thanks Bomber78 for posting up your pictures. You have the exact pattern that I'm looking for and need the measurements from. My interior color is also the exact same as yours. I sure would like to find a seat in as good a shape as yours. ;)

If someone has a seat like this in your truck could you post pics with the measurements of the pleats and size of the buttons along the back ? That would be very helpful .

79 Silverado/454 05-05-2015 06:11 AM

Still hoping for someone to help with the measurements of the pleats and buttons for the blue seat pattern posted above. If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it. :chevy:

Bomber78 05-05-2015 05:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 79 Silverado/454 (Post 7158022)
Thanks Bomber78 for posting up your pictures. You have the exact pattern that I'm looking for and need the measurements from. My interior color is also the exact same as yours. I sure would like to find a seat in as good a shape as yours. ;)

If someone has a seat like this in your truck could you post pics with the measurements of the pleats and size of the buttons along the back ? That would be very helpful .

Here are some photo's with measurements. Sorry for the delay, had to wait for a day off.

79 Silverado/454 05-06-2015 06:18 AM

Thanks Bomber78 ! You have been a lot of help and I really appreciate it. :) Can you give one more measurement ?

How far down are the buttons located on the back from the top ?

I see the material where the pleats are has some texture to it... Does the sides & front of the lower part of the seat and the sides & back part of the seat have texture to it as well or is the material smooth ?

IIRC the material is smooth on the lowers sides, front and top sides and back. :chevy:

Bomber78 05-06-2015 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 79 Silverado/454 (Post 7161339)
Thanks Bomber78 ! You have been a lot of help and I really appreciate it. :) Can you give one more measurement ?

How far down are the buttons located on the back from the top ?

I see the material where the pleats are has some texture to it... Does the sides & front of the lower part of the seat and the sides & back part of the seat have texture to it as well or is the material smooth ?

IIRC the material is smooth on the lowers sides, front and top sides and back. :chevy:

Ok, the vinyl is smooth on the sides, & front & lower sections (see the attached photo). My pleasure on the help. :metal:

slimneverdies 05-07-2015 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolverinemotorworks (Post 7155456)
Mine is original vinyl, but not the pleated. It is the original base interior. Ain't she perty!

Where would I be able to find this cover from??

slimneverdies 05-19-2015 05:47 PM

I pulled the Mexican blankets off mine today to see what I had and I have the same seats. The rear one is actually pretty good but the front have some tears on the bottom. I wonder can these just be fixed vs trying to get them made????

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...pschcpfoeu.jpg

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...pslvr1jhvv.jpg

79 Silverado/454 06-01-2015 12:07 PM

I am now looking for the (6) square buttons that go on the back part of the seat. Color doesn't matter but, medium blue would be a plus.

Any help would be much appreciated. :chevy:

slimneverdies 06-15-2015 11:00 PM

Did you find any buttons? My upholestry guy says he can't save the ones on my bench seats now...

79 Silverado/454 06-16-2015 06:22 AM

Yes, I went to a local yard and found some buttons. I don't understand why he can't save them... The buttons have 2 pins that push through the material and attach to a larger square plate that holds them to the seat cover. Once the seat cover is off, they shouldn't be a big deal to remove IMO.

slimneverdies 06-17-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79 Silverado/454 (Post 7211389)
Yes, I went to a local yard and found some buttons. I don't understand why he can't save them... The buttons have 2 pins that push through the material and attach to a larger square plate that holds them to the seat cover. Once the seat cover is off, they shouldn't be a big deal to remove IMO.

They originally said they couldn't save them but I just got a call and they said they were able to rewrap them since I'm changing the color of the seats...

Thanks

slimneverdies 07-02-2015 06:58 PM

I tried to find some good craftsmanship here in Vegas with no luck. Great workers must be hiding in this town because I've done some shopping and spent a few grand on crappy work. They just want to get paid:waah:

First it was the vinyl and the stitching wasn't right
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...psnkhhmi7a.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...psxmftawox.jpg

Now he says he can't get the buttons right but the stitching is better
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...pswqjrw9gc.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps7jisifna.jpg

I give up. I'll just have to fix the buttons myself darn it...

79 Silverado/454 07-03-2015 09:26 AM

The second set looks better than the first but, I do see what your saying about the buttons. The clips on the back of the buttons can be a PIA.

I haven't had my seat done yet. The guy is about 2 months out. He quoted me $650 to do it. I think that you can buy 67-72 seat covers for half of that. I still don't understand why the companies that sell the repop parts are not gearing up to manufacture correct parts for this generation truck.

slimneverdies 07-03-2015 03:35 PM

He figured it out on the first set of seats. He tried to match the colors of the vinyl for the buttons by wrapping them with vinyl. Not the best job but I'll have to find another guy to fix the buttons for me.

Farmer_John 09-08-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79 Silverado/454 (Post 7229460)
The second set looks better than the first but, I do see what your saying about the buttons. The clips on the back of the buttons can be a PIA.

I haven't had my seat done yet. The guy is about 2 months out. He quoted me $650 to do it. I think that you can buy 67-72 seat covers for half of that. I still don't understand why the companies that sell the repop parts are not gearing up to manufacture correct parts for this generation truck.

79 Silverado, did you ever get the seat covers you needed? I recently joined this forum and have a 78 Scottsdale C10 SWB with the same vinyl seat in red. The driver side is seat bottom is torn and I plan to only replace the bottom seat as the back seat is in good shape. Any recommendations?

79 Silverado/454 09-08-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer_John (Post 8590069)
79 Silverado, did you ever get the seat covers you needed? I recently joined this forum and have a 78 Scottsdale C10 SWB with the same vinyl seat in red. The driver side is seat bottom is torn and I plan to only replace the bottom seat as the back seat is in good shape. Any recommendations?

Yes, I did and it turned out great. I bought my material from SMS and I used the measurements that Bomber78 provided for me. Check out www.smsautofabrics.com They will send you free samples to choose from.:chevy:

Roaddogg 09-13-2019 09:02 PM

Does anyone know if anyone is reproducing seat covers just like these. I need one in green for a 78.

TKCR 09-13-2019 09:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roaddogg (Post 8593030)
Does anyone know if anyone is reproducing seat covers just like these. I need one in green for a 78.

Something like this? They are made to accept the Medallions.

Roaddogg 09-13-2019 09:46 PM

No those are a little different than the ones above. I have a 78 Cheyenne but is in green.

TKCR 09-13-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roaddogg (Post 8593047)
No those are a little different than the ones above. I have a 78 Cheyenne but is in green.

I’m checking to see if I can get one made.