The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anybody wish they’d left theirs rough and not taken it apart? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=808526)

ncsurveyor 06-30-2020 10:34 PM

Anybody wish they’d left theirs rough and not taken it apart?

3 Attachment(s)
I’m redoing my entire drivetrain including ls swap but trying to decide whether to go ahead and take it apart and paint it. I’m just worried I’ll get in too deep and not be able to get it back together. Anybody wish they’d left theirs rough and just enjoyed it? What y’all think? Leave it rough or paint it? I’ve got about 15k in new parts and wheels and tires. The drivetrain will be completely new, new suspension, disk brakes, 6.2 L94, 4L80 trans, all new wiring.

cdub2010 06-30-2020 11:03 PM

Re: Anybody wish they’d left theirs rough and not taken it apart?

I have been watching the Hagerty shows on youtube with the early 50's? pickup. The main guy explains he's just making it run and work (NOT RESTORING) just fixing what doesn't work. Sure looks like a lot more fun. Just work on the things that matter in the moment. Been down the show car road before, not worth the time and effort to me anymore.

If the bottom pic is the body on your current truck, it looks great. Id drive the wheels off of it.

mr48chev 06-30-2020 11:19 PM

I'll say this, if you start driving them before you get them finished most never get finished. My 71 won't get the show paint job that the 48 gets but it may be what pulls the 48 to the shows where I want it clean when I get there. I think I counted one day and my uncle had drilled 46 holes in the 71 to mount different things when he had it. I wish my dad had never given him that electric drill for Christmas.

I'd say it is personal choice, some guys are all about the chasing trophies to the point they check to see who is going to be at an event so they can go to a different one if they figure that a rig that shows up can beat them. More of us could give a rip about awards and seeing other rigs and visiting with car and truck folk is what it is all about. Probably the only thing the 71 will ever win at a show is a can of wax as a door prize.

ThreeQuarter 06-30-2020 11:26 PM

I wish mine had been in a condition that would lend itself to just fixing a driving. I’d actually like it to look 50 years old, but unfortunately it’s firewall and windshield frame were Swiss cheese from being parked under a tree most of its life. I figured if I was going to fix that, I may as well make it all look new again. If I had one that looked like your bottom pic I would not restore it.

Stocker 06-30-2020 11:40 PM

At this point, yeah, I kinda wish I had left it alone. It was a bit rough -- clearcoat all but gone, rockers bad and other visible rust, but no serious perforation. The job was far too much for me to handle (no space to work, no experience) so I took it to a reputable shop and we struck a deal. Twenty months ago. I'm sure it's gonna be much nicer than I need it to be, after all it's always been a working truck. I sometimes regret ever starting down this road, but after it's all done, I'll probably figure it was all worthwhile. At least I hope so.

Daaaanz67 07-01-2020 12:23 AM

Leave it, finish What you started and enjoy.

57taskforce 07-01-2020 12:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I tore my K20 down to the frame. Rebuilt the drive train minus the engine, fixed all the rust in the floors, rockers and corners. Then I painted the bottom of the cab and the frame and put it all back together with out painting anything else. I don’t regret it. I’m putting the interior back together to be pretty decent, new carpet, good seat, new rubber etc. one day I’ll get it painted but for now, I’m just readying my self for the next step in it all which is the LS swap. The first is pre tear down and the last is post tear down. It’s been back on the road for about a month now and I’ve driven it almost every day since I registered and insured it.

SRU1436 07-01-2020 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a 1969 Camaro in my twenties. I drove it for a short time before I tore it completely apart to restore it. Work, wife, kids, and not enough money prevented me from restoring it. It sat apart in the garage for about 10 years before I realized I wasn’t able to accomplish what I wanted and I sold it. Still kick myself for taking it apart.

I told myself when I could afford to get another car I would just enjoy driving it and fix little things here and there. Fast forward to last year. I bought a 1972 Cheyenne c10 from a coworker, all original, that’s in great condition. I enjoy driving it and fixing things on it here and there when it needs fixing.

That’s my 2 cents.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-01-2020 12:54 AM

My project truck was fix what's broke 25 years. Now it's a money dump, lots of time. I enjoyed it as a diamond in the rough, but WTH - was going to get around to it sometime.

My C20 isn't even fix what's broke. Pending a battery it starts and stops & the suspension is decent. Near all luxery components don't work, such as heat and wipers;), the ceiling leaks and that, but I still prefer drive it than my newer vehicles.

KQQL IT 07-01-2020 01:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Every time I drive my squarebody.
Wish I'd left it primered with a yellow hood, was entirely more fun.
My 68 will stay rough.

Richard 07-01-2020 02:02 AM

Not sorry for tearing my truck down as far as I did. Want a new 1972 truck. I waited years until I was ready to get going on my project. Glad I made the decision not to do a total frame off. Would have totally killed my rebuild. I am doing a somewhat "frame on" with mods. Because I want the paint to last more than 3 to 5 years the cost for that part has tripled from what I had originally budgeted. With the clear failing on all our newer cars. Opted for a premium single stage paint on my truck. Living in California has has not helped. They claim they are promoting "green" yet every thing I buy is throwaway. When I am done guessing 50k+ with me doing 90% of the work. Still cheaper than a new truck with the options I want. Not planning to ever get rid of this truck so WTH.

Wanted to add this is my first and last project of this caliber. Will not buy any more projects. Does not make sense to me to own many trucks that are needing so much work. Would rather spend the money to finish one that is to my liking.

hamjet 07-01-2020 06:00 AM

If you have two or more so you still have one to drive and enjoy, and you love digging into them for a complete resto, great. but it does make it tough when you buy one because of the love for them, and then tear it apart for years feeling like you'll never get to drive it again, thats tough. I love driving mine the way it is, up on blocks for no more than a day at a time. (already missing drive time), Plus, I'm in my late 60s, If I were to get too deep into the tear down I may never get to enjoy it again. (too sore to get under it, old timers desease, stuff like that). THATS WHY I DON'T BUY GREEN BANANAS.

67C10Step 07-01-2020 07:25 AM

nc,
You and I are in the same process, only you are WAY ahead of me. Your truck appears to look super before you started. With the repairs and upgrades you are doing I'd run it and enjoy the heck out of it. I know that is my plan.

If I never get to do the full blown new paint job with complete body work but have enjoyed driving the truck I will not think I missed a thing. Sure, I'd like it slick and nice but then I'd be way more worried to drive than I am going to be initially.

Boog 07-01-2020 07:51 AM

In a word, yes. Some folks could look at us and ask "why would anyone in their right mind completely tear down a running driving truck and scatter it's parts all over"? Mine last drove in '96... ;)

special-K 07-01-2020 08:14 AM

I'd tear a truck apart to put it back together really nice before considering an LS swap. For the money some spend on that you could pay for body work and paint and have a truck that runs just as fine as always.

too much stuff 07-01-2020 08:27 AM

I think there was some good advice here...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805755

americanmusc1e 07-01-2020 09:32 AM

I see two different schools of thought here, but they boil down to the same thing. Your attention span and patience. :lol::lol:

Everyone has a limit for projects being apart. Some people it's two months and some people it's 20 years.

I know for a fact that if I have a vehicle apart and not running for more than 2 years i'll sell it due to impatience. If you are that kind of person, get it running and driving. You can always pull it apart again later to do more stuff.

Estimate the time it will take to do what you want, then double it. If you think you'll still have interest in that amount of time, then go for it.

These trucks can be enjoyed either way. Some people enjoy having it apart and working on it. Some don't. Follow your heart. :mm:

Greasey Harley 07-01-2020 11:34 AM

I just fix what needs fixin' and keep driving it.
Original paint, original dents and original rust.
Engine, drive train and wiring is all in excellent condition.It runs and drives great.
I would love for my truck to be all shiny and new, but I can't drive it if it's tore apart. ...and driving my old truck makes me smile.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=25599

54blackhornet 07-01-2020 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I completely disassembled a 71 K/10 and never finished it, sold it in pieces. My 71 GMC didn’t follow that path. Fixed the mechanics and reupholstered the seat. It sat outside behind the building the first owner had for twenty years so the patina is real not faked. I get a lot of positive comments when every I take it out for a spin.

Ol Blue K20 07-01-2020 12:00 PM

My truck definitely isn't pretty but I love it anyway. Paint is the future but not for a while.

tutone 07-01-2020 12:01 PM

I'm not a finisher either. I like my cars and trucks just a "little" rough around the edges. It's a HECK of a lot easier to sell at a price point that the average fellow can afford than one you spent 50-100K on. I know me, I'm going to get tired of looking down the same hood eventually anyway.

lolife99 07-01-2020 12:23 PM

The one thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the PRICE of paint and materials.
It’s crazy expensive to paint a truck even if you do all the labor yourself let alone pay someone to do it.
If my truck looked like the one the OP posted, I wouldn’t touch the outside paint.

Maybe color match the firewall and paint everything under the hood.
But that’s it.

72c20customcamper 07-01-2020 01:35 PM

Leaving thev72 as is . But the 68 snowballed from just doing the wood bed to pretty much a frame off . But I'm doing everything myself and it will be about a year in progress. Should be just about done by fall.

CG 07-01-2020 01:51 PM

Working on my 157" WB C30 that Im making in to a flatbed. Going to replace a couple rusted out parts (core support and inner pass fender), give it a general cleaning and detail. Make sure its running well and drive it. I feel like Im really going to love having this truck when its on the road. But no way Im going to tear in to the body work until Im sure I like it. Dont want to have dumped a lot of money into a truck that if I decide to sell Ill never get back

Trash 07-01-2020 02:42 PM

This question gets asked all the time. It all depends on your situation. I’d fix the very bad rusted areas and leave rest alone and enjoy it. Unless you have the time and money to do a full restoration project. I’ve worked on my rust bucket for 2 years now, full frame off restoration. I’m semi retired so I have the time to put in 8 hours a day for the past 16 months. Frame is back rolling again, engine/trans done and I’m just now wrapping up all the sheet metal work. Next is the body work, paint, then cab reassembly. I’m estimating 2 more summer seasons to go, so consider all your options.