The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   The Gentleman (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828176)

mikentosh 11-27-2021 12:25 PM

The Gentleman

5 Attachment(s)
I recently sold off Greenie, my '77 shorty, so it seemed like a good time to start a new project :) Its been a while since I've put together a pro-touring build for myself, and I've been helping out launching a new chassis company (Square One Vintage), so it seemed a no-brainer to go this direction again.

I've got a few trucks in storage waiting to get built out, but a buddy happened to send me a listing on c10sales for a '75 "Gentleman Jim" edition GMC. This particular truck had been floating around SoCal for the past few years waiting for somebody to start on it, or use it as a parts truck for other builds. Its pretty rough...lots of rust in the bed and hood, mismatched fenders, missing most of the interior...it had been hit on the passenger side years ago with poor repairs done...basically the perfect place to start for what I have in mind.

After some back and forth negotiation, we did a one day blast down to San Bernardino to haul it home.

mikentosh 11-27-2021 12:30 PM

Re: The Gentleman

2 Attachment(s)
We actually started this build before I got the truck, with the "demo" chassis that we've been exhibiting at shows. All the chassis start from C7 Corvette geometry and suspension components, with an option for either 5th gen camaro IRS, or the "full fat" C7 Corvette trans-axle IRS. The demo chassis was setup for a transaxle, so I'm going to use an 8L90 for this one.

I've been doing some motor trading over the past year and ended up with a dry-sump LT4 sitting in the garage...perfect for this :)

mikentosh 11-27-2021 12:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
With the November deadline of Dino's Git Down looming, we did some quick disassembly, got the chassis powdercoated in Prismatic "Gold Medallion" to match the GJ theme, and dropped the cab on top with only a few hours before leaving for Phoenix. I also did a last minute dash to find wheels off of another project to use for rollers.

mikentosh 11-27-2021 12:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Made it to Dino's, where I finally got to see it out in the sunlight for the first time. Yeah, after seeing it like this, I had to finish building it out...

So that's where things are at now. There are a ton of items on the list to check off...we've got a bunch of cab repair to do...paint and bodywork...get the drivetrain plumbed and wired...

rodstored-72 11-27-2021 01:17 PM

mike, nice.. I was hoping you might add this to the site!. It was very cool to see you again at the git doowwnn!..LOL. thanks for the chat too ( I MIGHT have the obd2 port figured out). Sorry to see greenie go, but it ended up in a VERY cool place.. AND the new owner is not too bad as well :lol:. give a few details on the chassis for us folks!;)

mikentosh 11-27-2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 9000362)
mike, nice.. I was hoping you might add this to the site!. It was very cool to see you again at the git doowwnn!..LOL. thanks for the chat too ( I MIGHT have the obd2 port figured out). Sorry to see greenie go, but it ended up in a VERY cool place.. AND the new owner is not too bad as well :lol:. give a few details on the chassis for us folks!;)

Good talking with you at the show! For this build I'm going to try and post more updates as they happen, but we've got a stretch goal to have this on the road in time for LS Fest West next year (April) so things might be moving quick.

I'm looking into getting us a vendor account for the chassis company so we can post a lot more detail about them.

LT7A 11-28-2021 06:17 PM

Wow, that's an intense build. I'm glad it's not getting scrapped or parted out. I thought it was the GJ that was a 3/4 ton frame with 1/2 ton suspension to give a "touring" ride. Do I have that wrong? Maybe it's the Beau James. Obviously the custom frame and Corvette/Camaro suspension will be an upgrade to all that.

Low Elco 12-02-2021 03:24 AM

Cool lookin' pile of parts! Gonna be a nice truck!

Warrens69GMC 12-02-2021 09:06 AM

In for the ride! Nice save!!

LEEVON 12-02-2021 07:44 PM

This is bonkers and I love it

Crcrft78 12-12-2021 03:55 PM

Love the Gentleman Jim project. Is the Zenith TV van in the background a future project after the truck?

mikentosh 12-15-2021 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crcrft78 (Post 9006381)
Love the Gentleman Jim project. Is the Zenith TV van in the background a future project after the truck?

Yeah the TV repair van was too cool for us to pass up...had plans to LS swap it and drive it for a season but my automotive ADD kicked in and ended up selling it instead.

Willie Makeit 12-21-2023 11:03 AM

Found this thread after doing a search for "Gentleman Jim" trucks. While not to the level of your build, I'm currently in the middle of tossing a cutdown-to-SWB GJ together using a Roadster Shop chassis and a LS powertrain.

Subscribing to your thread for updates.

willem445 12-29-2023 06:22 PM

I've never seen that color combination on a squarebody before. I actually dig it quite a bit. Looks REALLY good with those rims you put on it!