The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Quadrajet Sticky post-is this an option (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=709825)

johnwaynejeep 06-14-2016 03:52 PM

Quadrajet Sticky post-is this an option

All,

I recently rebuilt the quadrajet in my 85 K20. I had some questions and I was surprised I didn't see a tech section with articles or write ups concerning common questions or common tasks that people do with these trucks.

Is it possible to start a tech section? this section could be populated with sticky threads that address common tasks and problems. If this already exists and I'm just not seeing it I apologize.

As an example of a tech thread, I've found that the stock high speed idle on the quadrajet sticks very easily. I was planning on drilling some holes in the tabs and attaching a return spring to the high speed idle. The accelerator pump is also a little sticky, I was planning on replacing the spring in the base of the pump with a higher tension spring and sanding down the pump shaft to open up the clearance. Anyone who has tuning suggestions for the typical at home mechanic would be a fantastic addition.

I have no problem writing up a tech article on this. Keep in mind this is the first time I've done this and I'm likely to get some things wrong, it would help if someone is willing to look over the article once completed and make sure I'm not posting bad information

Thanks
Robert

special-K 06-14-2016 10:29 PM

Re: Quadrajet Sticky post-is this an option

Good idea. they are great carbs, OEM, and it's getting harder to find mechanics that know about carbs. Helps to know a little when you go for parts or even a replacement.

For sticky posts just spray som carb cleaner on and work it. Usually frees it up :rolleyes:

LockDoc 06-14-2016 10:54 PM

-
If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will see a "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little arrow on the right side of the box and you will see a drop down list. Scroll down the list until you see "FAQ Truck Tech" and click on it. That forum contains most of the tech articles for the board......

LockDoc

68C15 06-15-2016 06:55 AM

in the meat time, a can of carb cleaner will make your Q-jet much happier

ERASER5 06-15-2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 7625536)
in the meat time, a can of carb cleaner will make your Q-jet much happier

Auto correct. I'm tired of your shirt. :mm:

68C15 06-15-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERASER5 (Post 7625547)
Auto correct. I'm tired of your shirt. :mm:

If you're tired of my shirt then maybe you should give it back;)

What I was getting at earlier is a carb can have varnish build up on the linkage if it's not driven daily. A can of carb clean sprayed all around out side can do wonders

special-K 06-15-2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 7625775)
What I was getting at earlier is a carb can have varnish build up on the linkage if it's not driven daily. A can of carb clean sprayed all around out side can do wonders

Ok, I got your meaning the first time, but noot sure about this time. I went outside and sprayed carb cleaner all around and it had no effect on my carb. Am I missing something?? I did see some bees drop out of the sky

68C15 06-16-2016 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7626407)
Ok, I got your meaning the first time, but noot sure about this time. I went outside and sprayed carb cleaner all around and it had no effect on my carb. Am I missing something?? I did see some bees drop out of the sky

try pointing the nozzle down towards the carb and not the sky. :lol:

special-K 06-16-2016 07:45 AM

Ohhhhhh................ I feel so silly. That explains why everyone around was rubbing their eyes and went home. I thought it was something I said that upset them

ERASER5 06-16-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 7625775)
If you're tired of my shirt then maybe you should give it back;)

I can't. It has meat on it now.

johnwaynejeep 07-20-2017 12:43 AM

All, I wanted to post an update on this thread.

I did attach a return spring to the Qjet high speed idle between the idle paddle and the lower cross bar. It worked like a champ and the spring was strong enough that it would pull the high speed idle down as the choke spring expanded allowing the truck to idle down on it's own.

I initially adjusted the mixture screws using rpm drop and high vacuum reading. I got a little dieseling from time to time so I leaned out the mix and all was good.

Thanks for reading and for the tips.
Robert
:chevy::gmc2:

68C15 07-23-2017 06:41 AM

and I got a new shirt, without meat on it. LOL

Coley 07-23-2017 11:38 AM

The quadrajet is a great carb but it needs a few things as it gets along in life.
The most useful thing you can ever do to a quadrajet to get your truck running better is remove it from the engine, then thoroughly clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air.
I mean every orifice and chamber, surface, linkage, etc.....clean that thing!
I recommend carefully removing the air horn (the top piece) and thoroughly cleaning out the float chamber, remove the (2) idle/mixture screws, etc.
Then use compressed air through all the ports, etc.
If you are careful you don't actually have to replace anything..and you will probably get your carb/truck running 25% (or more) better right out of the gate.
I recommend to splurge for a new base/insulator gasket to make sure you limit your vacuum leaks.

All good
Coley

68Gold/white 07-24-2017 05:34 PM

maybe make a carb specific area. Make sub area's for Q-Jet, Holley 2G's, AFB and such.

Too many folks here that need carb help.

Boog 07-24-2017 07:59 PM

I'm an old qjet guy so I'm all in for a sticky about em but so many guys now days are putting in fuel injected engines and our dear old carbs are being tossed to the curbs like yesterday's news it's a little late for the sticky. There are plenty of reasons to go fi but I just like the old 4 barrel howl of the qjet in my old truck.
I choose to keep my 69 carb'd and no computer stuff. Who knows when some day I might convert it over to fi but at this time I have no plans to.

johnwaynejeep 07-24-2017 09:21 PM

Boog,

There's always room for a carb. I'm looking at EFI myself, but my carb is easy to adjust and a lot cheaper to buy build and install.

I think there will always be room for carbs, at least until a bolt on EFI kit can be bought for under $150.