The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Unexciting roadtrip with junkyard pics... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851634)

too much stuff 03-25-2024 05:02 PM

Unexciting roadtrip with junkyard pics...

5 Attachment(s)
Had high hopes on my Texas/OK trip. Had some new area to explore, rooms booked and the weather looks decent for the most part. Until day 2... Clip broke on the trans cooler line and left me along side the highway. 3 hours later get a tow truck that can haul my 01 2500 hd and my 20' trailer. GM dealer gets me up and going the next morning. Not too far behind schedule so i can still try to make it. 52 miles down the road and the other line went. Need another tow truck... I tell you what, there is alot of smoke when trans fluid hits the exhaust. It was dripping off the whole pass side of my truck AND trailer... both times.
Start cancelling rooms and rebooking to salvage some of the trip. Made it to the Duncan OK swap on friday, but didn't find much. Hit the road back home sat am trying not to get caught in the storms from OK to MN. Got to northern IA and had to get a room because of the weather... Got home sun about noon just as the snow was starting. I think it still beats working.
Enjoy.

too much stuff 03-25-2024 05:05 PM

Re: Unexciting roadtrip with junkyard pics...

4 Attachment(s)
Just under 2500 miles in 7 days. Found a few parts at my first stop.
Some of the old route 66 from 1927, and the big boy has right of way!

too much stuff 03-25-2024 05:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Rainy junkyardin' pics

too much stuff 03-25-2024 05:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More rainy... I will add some more square body pics on the 73 and up board

jerry moss 03-25-2024 05:16 PM

looks like you found a few goodies Eric, was the tilt still in the orange/white truck ?

too much stuff 03-25-2024 05:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Even with a rain coat on i was quite wet. Even had to dry out my wallet.
A few of these trucks may have been pictured on last years roadtrip.

too much stuff 03-25-2024 05:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry moss (Post 9298774)
looks like you found a few goodies Eric, was the tilt still in the orange/white truck ?

It was, but he was only selling complete. It was too rough for me to haul home.

Check out the tilt in this one... Note the shifter is on the dash.
The black C-50 looked like a 68 with custom door badges but had a 67 dash. Who knows the history...

too much stuff 03-25-2024 05:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The GMC engine was at the swap meet. That was pretty cool. The garmin says time to turn around and head home.

too much stuff 03-25-2024 05:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Last pics.
First pic is hard to see but that is ice on my windshield. 26 degrees and raining!
At least the truck and trailer were fairly full, just not much exciting stuff. And yes that is ice all over everything.
Hope you enjoyed another roadtrip with me.

jerry moss 03-25-2024 05:40 PM

as long as you had a good time and scored enough goodies to pay for the trip, we all know this stuff is getting hard to come by in decent condition.:chevy:

dave6672 03-25-2024 07:29 PM

Looks like a good time regardless of the weather. Thanks for the pics.

LockDoc 03-26-2024 01:04 AM

-
I guess that will be a trip for the books.

Man I hate junkyardn' in the rain. If you found a few goodies I guess it makes it worth it though..... :(

desert-rat 03-26-2024 03:40 AM

Sweet. That road trip seemed fun despite a few break downs. 26 degrees? I don't know what that feels like here in so-cal. 65 degrees and we're bundled up here. Not really good pickings here in so-cal. Lots of out of state people drive out here to so-cal for our rust free stuff. I remember when these trucks were plentiful in the junk yards. But I was picking for a G-series van at the time. Now these trucks are cleaned out.

MARKDTN 03-26-2024 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can feel your pain with the transmission. Was on RT66 in California between Barstow and Amboy heading East and hit a dip that took a chunk out of the transmission pan. Lots of smoke. 3 hours waiting for a wrecker on a Sunday afternoon that took us 100 miles west to Hesperia. Cost us a day but no damage to the transmission which was good. I think maybe 2 cars passed by while we were waiting.

Chevys4life 03-26-2024 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 9298772)
Rainy junkyardin' pics

I need that back bumper on that 1970 there!!!!

Fbks_Cruiser 03-26-2024 11:03 PM

As always, thanks for taking us along!

special-K 03-27-2024 08:22 AM

I feel like I went on a parts haul trip just sitting here. Thanks for sharing

72ironmike 03-27-2024 09:27 AM

Awesome Eric ! Not many these days know the fun of trudging thru salvage yards searching parts.
Other than setbacks looks like you had a decent hunt. Did you stop at LMC ? Thanks for pics.

too much stuff 03-27-2024 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry moss (Post 9298781)
as long as you had a good time and scored enough goodies to pay for the trip, we all know this stuff is getting hard to come by in decent condition.:chevy:

I made the most out of it. Between 2 tow calls with a trailer and 2 gm dealership repairs. plus an extra motel and lost a motel reservation... Cost a few extra bucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6672 (Post 9298816)
Looks like a good time regardless of the weather. Thanks for the pics.

Glad you enjoy them

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9298893)
-
I guess that will be a trip for the books.

Man I hate junkyardn' in the rain. If you found a few goodies I guess it makes it worth it though..... :(

The rain kind of sucked, but at least it was in the lower 50s that day. I still have your phone number beside me on these trips just in case...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 9298970)
I need that back bumper on that 1970 there!!!!

Those 3 were complete only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fbks_Cruiser (Post 9299185)
As always, thanks for taking us along!

I know you like these, you are welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9299232)
I feel like I went on a parts haul trip just sitting here. Thanks for sharing

No problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72ironmike (Post 9299243)
Awesome Eric ! Not many these days know the fun of trudging thru salvage yards searching parts.
Other than setbacks looks like you had a decent hunt. Did you stop at LMC ? Thanks for pics.

No lmc or any other stops like it. Trying to hit a new yard and the swap meet. If it wasn't so expensive i would make it longer than a week and hit more places like that.

Rust_never_sleeps 03-28-2024 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKDTN (Post 9298930)
I can feel your pain with the transmission. Was on RT66 in California between Barstow and Amboy heading East and hit a dip that took a chunk out of the transmission pan. Lots of smoke. 3 hours waiting for a wrecker on a Sunday afternoon that took us 100 miles west to Hesperia. Cost us a day but no damage to the transmission which was good. I think maybe 2 cars passed by while we were waiting.

Every time we drive that stretch I wonder what it would be like to break down out there. Sorry you found out.

special-K 03-29-2024 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps (Post 9299792)
Every time we drive that stretch I wonder what it would be like to break down out there. Sorry you found out.

Way back in time, I hitch hiked from Fresno to Flagstaff. Somewhere west of Barstow, late at night, I got a ride in a mail truck with a moonshine drinking crazy man to his place in Mojave. I pitched my tent in his backyard, slept a little, and got out of there since he had talked about a plan involving me helping him kill his ex-wife...seriously. I'm glad I got out of there right about dawn because I was picked up by a pickup with a hot air balloon basket in the bed. He had been taking sound level readings for, I believe F16s, at Andrews AFB. I got a long ride across the desert almost to Kingman.