The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1960 Apache short/fleet big window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=786404)

Daniel U 05-06-2019 09:37 PM

1960 Apache short/fleet big window

I recently bought my last old Chevrolet pick up. While I'm not new to older Chevrolet trucks (1954 5 window short bed, 1973 4x4 short/fleet side), this is my 1st 60-66 truck. While I love Chevrolet trivia, right now I'm most interested in finding out as much as I can about my 1960 Apache. Specifically the original color of the exterior. Eventually I want to get headers (currently has a s.b.c. 400ci.) and do a 2 inch drop spindle with disc conversion, as well as the out of cab gas tank (the fuel fumes are horrid.). Thanks in advance, Daniel U

Clyde65 05-06-2019 09:49 PM

Re: 1960 Apache short/fleet big window

Welcome!

demian5 05-08-2019 12:39 PM

It has torsion bars for the front end. they can be adjusted down but spindles are the best way to go so the adjusters don't hit driveways.

If you want to convert to power steering, the captain fab kit sounds great but requires a lot of work, cutting and welding. I installed a CPP kit, but they had repackaged the hardware and bracket somewhere along the line, didn't know about it, and got hell from me. They made it all right and it worked great.

And if it is a coil spring rear truck, the shocks hang off the rear of the arms, not in front of the axle. the CPP Deluxe track bar kit wont work without mods to your existing shock mounts.

I am wrapping up going through a 60 Apache from top to bottom (not a restore, just making it NOT a death trap)... so ask me any questions.

Daniel U 05-09-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demian5 (Post 8521925)
It has torsion bars for the front end. they can be adjusted down but spindles are the best way to go so the adjusters don't hit driveways.

If you want to convert to power steering, the captain fab kit sounds great but requires a lot of work, cutting and welding. I installed a CPP kit, but they had repackaged the hardware and bracket somewhere along the line, didn't know about it, and got hell from me. They made it all right and it worked great.

And if it is a coil spring rear truck, the shocks hang off the rear of the arms, not in front of the axle. the CPP Deluxe track bar kit wont work without mods to your existing shock mounts.

I am wrapping up going through a 60 Apache from top to bottom (not a restore, just making it NOT a death trap)... so ask me any questions.

I might have to pick your brain some. I know I need new plugs/wires for the v8 in it currently. After that, I'd like to get the gas tank out of the cab and do the disc brake spindle drop kit. It will need a seat or have new cushion and cover put on this one. The springs are getting my backside every bump I hit. Thanks for being open to letting me follow along. Do you have a build thread/link?