The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Original Truck Vinyl Top???????? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=452458)

DANTIP 03-12-2011 09:17 AM

Original Truck Vinyl Top????????

Has anyone ever seen the vinyl top accessory on a truck? Here is an Ebay listing claiming one. Owner says it's on the SPID. If it was an accessory, it would not be on the SPID.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...#ht_500wt_1182

ChevLoRay 03-12-2011 09:35 AM

Re: Original Truck Vinyl Top????????

There was a trend/fad in the late Sixties/early-mid Seventies that said it was okay to put a vinyl top on any vehicle. Some vehicles looked okay, while others simply allowed their owners to waste money. GM did an SS-style '67 Chevy as a tow vehicle, for a show. The truck had a black top, but my pix don't show it to be vinyl, or paint. I suspect it was vinyl, but no guarantees.

There's nothing in my '69 Truck Data Book, used by dealerships to order new trucks, that lists a vinyl top.

The problem is that people buy stuff and believe that what they were told is true. It is possible that the original selling dealership or the original buyer specified that they wanted a vinyl top and the dealer had it done. It would not have a code, nor would it be on the SPID. It may be listed on the original window sticker, if the dealer had it done before putting it on the lot.

Petie724x4 03-12-2011 09:43 AM

There is one in the "Show us your Lits" thread, in one of the dealer option books.

DANTIP 03-12-2011 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the ad mentioned. Thanks to Longhornman!

Petie724x4 03-12-2011 09:57 AM

It's a shame about the condition, pretty sweet truck.

Vintage Windmills 03-12-2011 10:12 AM

I realize the point of this post is the vinyl top, which is interesting and rare but is this truck even worth the current bid? Would be nice to see the SPID. Just think of the rust under the vinyl.
I also like how he says untouched- yeah except for the box swap and the gutted dash!! Then he goes on to say big back window option, and the rockers are good! Look at the pics of the rocker. Seriously, buyer beware. Probably unusual to have a BBC without PS or PB so some swapping may have occurred there as well.

Dave 03-12-2011 10:13 AM

I've never seen a truck with a factory vinyl roof before. I checked my RPO codes for '69 and there isn't a listing for it.

However, I've also seen very odd combinations on these trucks over the years. I once saw a SPID that had a 534 white/med olive exterior with a 610blue custom cloth interior with YE9 super option.

special-K 03-12-2011 10:30 AM

The big rear window was listed as an option???? Must be listed between the vinyl top and spot lamp on the SPID. Red flag right there,on the seller's description,not the truck. I guess this happens when a Mopar guy finds a collectible Chevy. It is a nice truck from factory. I owned one of two '68 CSTs owned by brothers with 396,3spd,posi,manual steering and brakes. That's how they wanted them.

sjarrett71 03-12-2011 10:33 AM

He said it needs a "full resto" and I believe it! Looks like a $300.00 truck to me.

Boog 03-12-2011 10:42 AM

There is one of our members here that has a nice truck with vinyl top as purchased from an estate I believe a couple of years back. Nice GMC fleetside. Former owner was a horse guy and pulled a small trailer with it. I'm sorry, I've forgotten the members' name. If still around maybe he'll see this and post in.
As mentioned many vinyl tops were dealer installed. Some were vinyl and some were actually a rough textured spray coating to look somewhat like vinyl. They were cheaper and looked it.

FRENCHBLUE72 03-12-2011 11:37 AM

Looks like all you are gonna get is a frame and possible drive train the front clip and cab are shot..

GASoline71 03-12-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjarrett71 (Post 4547277)
He said it needs a "full resto" and I believe it! Looks like a $300.00 truck to me.

Yep... I can't believe it's already up to $2,000 bucks.

Gary

ls1nova71 03-12-2011 12:07 PM

My guess is the SPID says 'Saddle vinyl trim' or whatever color, and he's thinking that means vinyl top.

BLAZERMAN 03-12-2011 01:03 PM

The dealer installed option was a spray on system and only came in 2 colors, black or white. There may have been some aftermarket shops that did actual vinyl on tops...the same kind of shops that did sun roofs that were popular back then. And no spotlight should be on spid as well...aside from that it is a pretty cool old truck but its not what the seller is making it out to be.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/72cst/top1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/72cst/top2.jpg

Bishops Trucks 03-12-2011 01:51 PM

I had a neighbor a couple houses down in 1978 that had a '72 longbed with a vinyl top. It was orange paint with a black roof. Thats the only one I have ever seen.

Sicklajoie 03-12-2011 01:58 PM

The spray on top reminds me of Richard Petty's supposed vinyl top that he used for the 68 Daytona 500. That was a spray on job also.
http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/45...600x600Q85.jpg

Keith Seymore 03-12-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN (Post 4547525)
The dealer installed option was a spray on system and only came in 2 colors, black or white. There may have been some aftermarket shops that did actual vinyl on tops...the same kind of shops that did sun roofs that were popular back then. And no spotlight should be on spid as well...aside from that it is a pretty cool old truck but its not what the seller is making it out to be.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/72cst/top1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/72cst/top2.jpg

That looks like the texture that was used on the Blazer tops.

K

teeitup 03-12-2011 02:12 PM

Joesjunk, has a gmc with a vinyl top

Vintage Windmills 03-12-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 4547384)
Yep... I can't believe it's already up to $2,000 bucks.

Gary

He maybe had his friends bid it up

wild4wheels 03-12-2011 02:50 PM

I just saw one in Phoenix a couple weeks ago Burgandy w Black Vinyl top! I had no idea they offered a spray version - I have only seen one other black top and that was a vinyl job too. Owners dad had it installed shortly after purchasing it new.
Hey, a lot of people put wood paneling in their house too!

special-K 03-12-2011 02:59 PM

That truck's worth way more than $300. You Chevy truck guys don't know a diamond in the rough when you see it? It's a CST SWB Fleetside BBC. Not a dime a dozen truck.

too much stuff 03-12-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 4547688)
That truck's worth way more than $300. You Chevy truck guys don't know a diamond in the rough when you see it? It's a CST SWB Fleetside BBC. Not a dime a dozen truck.

I couldn't agree more! Throw in the 3 on the tree, bucket seats, A/C... Quite unusual.
Been so much talk lately about the high prices of trucks on here saying the big dollar (20K and up)trucks need to be short box, big block trucks... but this one is only worth $300???

GASoline71 03-12-2011 04:59 PM

Maybe not a dime a dozen... but no way is it worth whats gonna be paid for it.

For 2 grand I better have a running, functioning truck, with minor rust,and few dings. Plus it better have a title... which this one does not.

I love these trucks as much as the next guy... but a rats nest is a rats nest.

Gary

cpisani70@aol.com 03-12-2011 05:13 PM

Looking at that makes me feel way better about the deal I just made for mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 03-12-2011 06:23 PM

I'll have to agree that 300 is way undervaluing the truck. Just the buckets and console in their current condition can fetch 4-500. Add a BBC, A/C dash, and being a SWB it's worth a couple grand all day even in its' current condtion....That being said...I'd only pay 5-600 for it ;) :lol: