The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Welcome Area (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New 58 GMC Owner Finally (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=783720)

Green Onions 03-22-2019 10:54 AM

New 58 GMC Owner Finally

4 Attachment(s)
Well im new to the truck scene but I always wanted a 58-59 Apache like my uncles 59 back in the day Bought a 58 LB GMC now im waiting for it to be transported to Ct from Wy.

vetnat 03-22-2019 10:15 PM

Re: New 58 GMC Owner Finally

Love it! Looks like it is coming from quite the truck farm. My '61 is also school bus yellow.

68Gold/white 03-23-2019 07:01 PM

LOL, looks a little closer to prison jumpsuit orange to me...:D

68panelman 03-24-2019 09:14 AM

What a beauty! Omaha orange
I believe is the color. Love the rear bumper. If it were mine, I'd just clean her up, maybe paint the white trim.
Good luck with your new truck!

Green Onions 03-24-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68panelman (Post 8493426)
What a beauty! Omaha orange
I believe is the color. Love the rear bumper. If it were mine, I'd just clean her up, maybe paint the white trim.
Good luck with your new truck!

That is my intention for sure. I can't wait to get into this one but I have to kep on plugging away on my 55 Chevy gasser 2dr conversion project that will be up for sale soon.

Green Onions 03-24-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Gold/white (Post 8493128)
LOL, looks a little closer to prison jumpsuit orange to me...:D

Good one. I like it

Green Onions 06-18-2019 03:28 PM

Well I buffed the truck out..the patina is great. The interior paint is actually pretty good except the floors that i have to repaint. The engine will not budge/turn over with mystery oil that was put thru the spark plug holes. I pulled the valve cover and it looks clean like it was rebuilt last week? I have to take some more pictures of it.

68panelman 06-18-2019 05:02 PM

Post buffed pics when can. Try pulling the truck engaged in third gear.
Got a 1936 chevy one ton to break loose at a truck show car corral that way.

shifty 06-21-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Onions (Post 8544560)
Well I buffed the truck out..the patina is great. The interior paint is actually pretty good except the floors that i have to repaint. The engine will not budge/turn over with mystery oil that was put thru the spark plug holes. I pulled the valve cover and it looks clean like it was rebuilt last week? I have to take some more pictures of it.

You try manually turning it over w/breaker bar?

Green Onions 06-22-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty (Post 8546209)
You try manually turning it over w/breaker bar?

Yes I did that first. Yesterday I tried the tip of dragging it in 3rd gear and giving it some quick jerks also. No luck she is really frozen. I do have a chance of buying a Caddy 331 for it with a manual trans adapter which would be pretty cool to have in the truck but prefer a 390 Caddy.

shifty 06-22-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Onions (Post 8546508)
Yes I did that first. Yesterday I tried the tip of dragging it in 3rd gear and giving it some quick jerks also. No luck she is really frozen.

My only advice would be this:

When my great grandpa outside San Anton passed, there were two 1-ton late 40s 3800 pickups sitting on his acreage. Neither had been started in more than 20-30 years and were frozen solid from the heat and sun sitting in a wide open field, unused. It took us just under a week for one, just under 2wks for the other.

We got them both unfrozen. We started by adding a 3oz measure of Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder with the plugs out, waited one additional full day for it to soak in, tried to turn over, repeated with another 3oz measure in each cylinder, waited for another full day, then tried again. day after the 3rd treatment (6th day from 1st treatment?), first engine broke free.

I've always used Marvel's oils, they're thin and penetrate well. On suggestion from one of my uncles, we switched to diesel fuel on the 2nd engine, repeated same process, 3oz in each cylinder every other day, trying a breaker bar on the crank before each application. Some spillage by the 4th application, but 2nd one finally broke free.

Replaced the valve cover gaskets in both, flushed the cooling systems manually as best we could and refilled, cleaned up the carbs, cleaned points, replaced the starter in one and both fuel pumps, used a separate fuel container and hose to the carb, both started right up and drove on the trailer.

After all that work, I was pissed my cousins wouldn't let me keep one. 47-53 are my favorite model.

I've seen a few like yours with the entire front bumper chromed. Looks incredible.

If you haven't tried anything I listed above, give it a go! What the hell, right?

Ironworking 06-22-2019 07:44 PM

Marvel Mystery Oil is just that good!

Green Onions 06-23-2019 04:14 PM

Thank you for your responses. I did use a whole bottle of Mystery oil down each cylinder divided evenly each time. I did it twice with the full bottle. Pulled the truck on asphalt in 3rd gear with my loader in low range. Tried pulling truck in reverse also..no good. Time to pull it out and inspect.

shifty 06-23-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Onions (Post 8547270)
Thank you for your responses. I did use a whole bottle of Mystery oil down each cylinder divided evenly each time. I did it twice with the full bottle. Pulled the truck on asphalt in 3rd gear with my loader in low range. Tried pulling truck in reverse also..no good. Time to pull it out and inspect.

Totally agree. Sorry for the unsolicited advice, not knowing the full story! Hope you get it going again.

bedwoodandparts 07-02-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Onions (Post 8492247)
Well im new to the truck scene but I always wanted a 58-59 Apache like my uncles 59 back in the day Bought a 58 LB GMC now im waiting for it to be transported to Ct from Wy.

Oh WOW! This is very beautiful and I absolutely love the Patina look to it. What modifications are you planning on adding to it?

Green Onions 07-03-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedwoodandparts (Post 8551964)
Oh WOW! This is very beautiful and I absolutely love the Patina look to it. What modifications are you planning on adding to it?

Im going to paint the trim,grille and front bumper. Fix the cab corners and lower fenders. I'm also going to re-do the mechanicals in the truck to make a driver out of it.

68Gold/white 07-03-2019 11:53 AM

So, the engine is a straight 6???

Green Onions 07-06-2019 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Gold/white (Post 8552422)
So, the engine is a straight 6???

Yes sir. Its the 270 Gmc engine.