The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Lookout on the roads, Lippyp is coming to America! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=48412)

Lippyp 04-11-2003 11:50 AM

OT: Lookout on the roads, Lippyp is coming to America!

Yup, my wife gets a sabbatical from work this year (she works for IBM) and we have decided to do a bit of a road trip in September around the west coast of the USA. We fly in to LA from the UK, pick up a rented convertible (supposed to be a Chevy Camaro) and spend two weeks driving around, want to see everything, Grand Canyon, Vegas, etc etc etc, We then end up in Palm Springs in a rented house with pool for another week (guess which bit is mine and which is hers!) Now, what parts can I fit in two bags if I "forget" to pack the clothes on the way back! Perhaps a new carpet set would fit as hand luggageon the plane. I'm so looking forward to it I could burst! Lookout arteries, huge American breakfasts coming your way!

Sorry, had to tell someone!

BUXMAN66 04-11-2003 12:03 PM

sounds cool! hell, your getting to see some of the country some of us haven't even seen.sounds fun,remember ....w/summer,comes the bikini's .......you'll flip when you see our yankee girls!

Gee_Emm 04-11-2003 12:04 PM

You should try driving over, bring the truck :p

Long Knight 04-11-2003 12:10 PM

You better practice driving on the correct side of the road before you come over!:D :D

Lippyp 04-11-2003 12:22 PM

Surely you mean the wrong side of the road? LOL If the girls are that great I may have a very sore and red right ear by the end of the holiday, on account of it being flicked hard by my wife every time she see's the old eyes wandering too much.

XXL 04-11-2003 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lippyp
Surely you mean the wrong side of the road? LOL If the girls are that great I may have a very sore and red right ear by the end of the holiday, on account of it being flicked hard by my wife every time she see's the old eyes wandering too much.
Just do what I do. When I need a peek, I just give my wife a big hug. That way she can't see where my eyes are looking... ;)

sakohntr 04-11-2003 12:49 PM

sunglasses

sunglasses will help you from being slapped!

Mike C 04-11-2003 03:28 PM

By either definition, we drive on the RIGHT side of the road :D

We look forward to having you! In addition to the pool, don't forget the sunscreen....

Longhorn Man 04-11-2003 03:49 PM

Sunglasses are great for checkin out babes...but I find that if i whip my head around and say something like "sweet Camaro" under my breath, she nevert looks. ;) And if she does look, I say it just went around the corner.

67cst 04-11-2003 03:54 PM

lol longhornmail

>X< 04-11-2003 04:00 PM

if there was one thing that everyone in the US has to see i would say it would be the grand canyon. it can be described and no picture does it justice

barn9 04-11-2003 04:18 PM

If you are going to the grand canyon, you should also visit Monument Valley, it's close and worth the extra time. I spent 2 weeks traveling around Arizona a few years ago, and it is some awesome country, even better in the spring. Don't forget your camera!

Edmond 04-11-2003 05:07 PM

Wow Lippyp, you are one lucky bloke!!
I'm still saving for a trip to the US....
Well have fun, and like [B/]Barn9[/B] said, don't forget the camara, and show us some of it to when your back!!
Cheers.

Cya,
Edmond

68 Suburban 04-11-2003 05:33 PM

Ahhh, the Grand Canyon!

http://www.dingospad.com/dingo/grand...p/01010012.JPG

http://www.dingospad.com/dingo/grand...p/01010014.JPG

http://www.dingospad.com/dingo/grand...p/01010018.JPG

http://www.dingospad.com/dingo/grand...p/01010007.JPG

68 Suburban 04-11-2003 05:37 PM

One more.

http://www.dingospad.com/dingo/grand...p/01010004.JPG

Chevy Wrench 04-11-2003 08:17 PM

Ah, the Grand Canyon...just a big hole in the ground. If you really want to see holes, Vegas is THE place. Hook...er...I mean gambling, free drinks and fun rides. Yeah, thats what I meant. Just kidding. Remember lots of sunscreen and air conditioning. It gets really hot in the summer. If you have time, cruise up here to Salt Lake City. You can help me on my 67 and my 40 pick up! And I'll even treat you to an American breakfast. LOL
John

lpaine 04-11-2003 11:02 PM

lippyp comes to America

Sounds like a title of a movie! Enjoy your trip man! You will definitely be doing some rubber -necking wear you're going.;)

krue 04-11-2003 11:06 PM

Have fun man! That part of the world is like nothing you've ever seen!

mrein3 04-11-2003 11:43 PM

In 1999 I worked in Phoenix for three months. Towards the end of my sentence my wife flew down and we put 3300 miles on the rental car driving around the southwest.

I would do Vegas, then the Hoover dam, then the grand canyon. I stood at Hoover dam and thought, dang thats big. Then I got to the grand canyon and just stood there for a while saying to my wife,
"Thats big".
Later I went by Hoover dam again and it wasn't as impressive after seeing the canyon.

Like barn9 said you should check out monument valley. That was very cool. Then every time you watch an American Western movie you can say, "Hey thats monument valley. I've been there."

You may as well do 4 corners too.

Both 4 corners and monument valley are on Indian reservations. I know 4 corners costs a few bucks and I believe monument valley will cost you a few bucks too but it is worth the money.

Canyon de Chelly in NE Arizona was cool to see.

It doesn't take much - other than time - to run 3000 miles up on your cars odometer down there.

casey 04-12-2003 01:06 AM

ah there is a grand canyon I always thought they were talking about anna nicole smith, have fun in the USA, wish I could go

barn9 04-12-2003 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of me in Monument Valley. Like mrein3 says, once you get to that part of the country, there are awesome sights all over. We put 4,000 miles on the car in a little over 2 weeks and stayed out of Phoenix completely, did visit friends in Tuscon for a couple days. Went down through Patagonia, Bisbee, Tombstone, Nogales, etc. also. Canyon de Chelly was cool, and I liked Apache Canyon, and the Mogollon (sp) Rim country also. What a beautiful part of the world it is!

dtlilly 04-12-2003 01:28 AM

Check out some of the Indian reservatons while in the west. The Hopi and Navaho people will treat you like family. The land that they call theirs, especially "the mesas", will spiritually change your whole perspective. The Rocky Mountains are also nothing like I've seen in the world, and will make you feel humble and insignificant as a human.

Enjoy your time here, as where ever you go, the people are genuinely friendly and hospitiable, and rich in history.

Seke69 04-12-2003 07:03 AM

bring some lip balm. the air might be a bit dry down there for you... last time I was in the southwest, the second I left the airport, I had instant chapped lips. and so did a few of the guys I was with... yes, we're from cold and snowy Minnesota, probably started out with chapped lips, but they got worse... are you going to bring a notebook so you can post when you get over here? Or maybe you could just sneak into a library and tell us how it's going.

Is it true that some English people eat sardines/kipper snacks for breakfast? someone told me that, I'm not sure if they were kidding. I hope they were though...

Brad 04-12-2003 01:26 PM

(getting ready to snap the picture), "barn9, could you stand a little more to your right?" "keep going...keep going...there!" NOW it's a beautiful picture! LOL, j/k:p

Monument Valley-Man, that's a killer photo! Makes me want to go there!!!

toms68cst 04-12-2003 01:52 PM

Come to North Dakota! We have......Um........Um......

Well, I'll think of something.