The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

texasld 10-02-2014 04:04 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2tom (Post 6864444)
changed the cam,lifters, installed new studs, roller rockers, new valve covers (had to pull the booster to get the drivers cover on) new water pump, march serpentine pulleys & brackets, new power steering pump & break in the new cam. (more like a week, lol)http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...929_170639.jpg)

noyce!!!!

vidman 10-02-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole dollor (Post 6855304)
looks very nice...good work.

Thank you..Today I pulled the side airbags out of my new seats and off to the auto upholsterer tomorrow..

zellway 10-03-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6864383)
Got My Steering Wheel Yesterday... man this thing is NICE!!!!

I have been thinking of getting a Con2r wheel for my 56. keep me posted on how you like it! Looks great:metal::metal::metal:

Elliot949 10-03-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zellway (Post 6865651)
I have been thinking of getting a Con2r wheel for my 56. keep me posted on how you like it! Looks great:metal::metal::metal:

So far I love it... Chris Cartons hot rods which is doing some work on my truck has used them alot... I absolutely love the wheel

54belair 10-03-2014 06:20 PM

Today, for the first time in 4 months I cleared my "to-do" list and spent some time on my build. This was the build that I was certain I could finish in a year (that was three years ago next week)!!

Anyway, I decided to install the exhaust manifolds. the last time I test fit them I didnt have all the clutch linkage in place although it didnt appear to be an issue--well it was!
On my build, Im running the engine in the rear motor mount holes And using a 4-speed trans---both limit my choices in exhaust manifolds. I had bought some big tube aftermarket cast iron ram horns---The big tube thing bit me. Had to go back to original equip. corvette manifolds. So, now my inventory of parts to sell has increased to two sets of long tube headers and one set or cast ram horns. If I get this thing on the road----Ill get to spend the next few months selling on ebay!!!!
At least I made a step forward today!:lol:

9teen69 10-03-2014 08:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed the Antique Automobile Radio today. I like it, sounds pretty good with my 120watt kick panel speakers...better than stock.

CST10 10-03-2014 09:52 PM

Today I changed the rear end fluid, tranny fluid, engine oil, brake fluids, checked the brakes and gave ol Owen a tune-up. Runs great.

Gobuffalo 10-04-2014 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's off to the "paint jail" today. This guy came highly recommended by at least 4 different people. Said it would take a month to finish.

Elliot949 10-04-2014 05:50 AM

I hope your month is faster than my month... we are on month 5 now and at this rate it will be 12 more months... my guy came highly recommended also...

Bob B. 10-04-2014 11:36 PM

Replaced a leaky thermostat gasket, freed up a stuck open A/C recirculate door. All good now!

Mike_The_Grad 10-05-2014 10:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More like "what did your truck do to you this weekend?" Blew both head gaskets Saturday morning right after I dropped off my lady for work. Was stuck about 25 miles from home for about 2 hours. Finally got a tow home. I had coolant pouring out of both header collectors. Went from full radiator to empty radiator in about two minutes. After I got it home I pulled all plugs. #6 was wet with coolant and rust around threads...#7 cylinder gushed out coolant as soon as plug was pulled...now I'm without vehicle and no idea what direction to go in next. I'm not financially ready to take on this project. I can either replace head gaskets and put it back together hoping for the best or since I have it apart, rebuild it. I had planned on rebuilding it after the first of the year. My concern is that I can tell heat was building up inside the head. And if I go with just a gasket replacement will it last me the next few months.(this is my daily driver.) Either way it sucks.but it happend. (Its got 70,000 on a rebuild performed 20 years ago, and it sat for ten of those years in my driveway neglected until about 6 months ago.) I did get 4,000 miles out of it after all the work I did to get it back on the road...:waah:

trac209 10-05-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad (Post 6868645)
More like "what did your truck do to you this weekend?" Blew both head gaskets Saturday morning right after I dropped off my lady for work. Was stuck about 25 miles from home for about 2 hours. Finally got a tow home. I had coolant pouring out of both header collectors. Went from full radiator to empty radiator in about two minutes. After I got it home I pulled all plugs. #6 was wet with coolant and rust around threads...#7 cylinder gushed out coolant as soon as plug was pulled...now I'm without vehicle and no idea what direction to go in next. I'm not financially ready to take on this project. I can either replace head gaskets and put it back together hoping for the best or since I have it apart, rebuild it. I had planned on rebuilding it after the first of the year. My concern is that I can tell heat was building up inside the head. And if I go with just a gasket replacement will it last me the next few months.(this is my daily driver.) Either way it sucks.but it happend. (Its got 70,000 on a rebuild performed 20 years ago, and it sat for ten of those years in my driveway neglected until about 6 months ago.) I did get 4,000 miles out of it after all the work I did to get it back on the road...:waah:

Coolant loss could also been due to a cracked head,882 castings are somewhat prone to cracks especially when overheated.

magwakeenercew2jh 10-05-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad (Post 6868645)
More like "what did your truck do to you this weekend?" Blew both head gaskets Saturday morning...

You know why this happened????

Both HG's at the same time?

OregonNed 10-05-2014 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I removed the non functional stereo the previous owner hack jobbed in. Installed my bezel awaiting a new stereo and made a little filler panel in the interim.

Mike_The_Grad 10-06-2014 01:41 PM

Trac209, magwakeenercew2jh- I can tell that the driver side head has been welded previously on the #3 cylinder. At the outside of the #7 cylinder the head gasket material was easy to separate from the steel impregnated in between it. And now that I think about all the symptoms I've seen, I think that coolant escaped through the heat crossover port through my intake and dumped into the #6 cylinder giving the appearance of a blown head gasket on that side also. I did have coolant under my carb and gaskets. But since I seen coolant out of both collector tubes I assumed they both went, so I have already pulled them both off. But the gasket on that side appears to be intact. But I also noticed that the gasket wasn't sealed in between the #4 cylinders.

zellway 10-06-2014 06:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
gave a rusty fender the patch.:metal: Well started. :waah:

Mike_The_Grad 10-07-2014 01:20 AM

Trac209- up until this event I had no coolant loss. Is there a thread I can post to to avoid hijacking this awesome thread that we all enjoy? I would love more than anything to pick someone's brain and entertain all possibilities as to what lead to my current situation...I now know every square inch of my vehicle and about 90% of its past.any input is greatly appreciated. I'm so thankful to have found this forum. I wish I had discovered it sooner. It feels good to know there are people all over this great country of ours, (and now the world) who share the same interests as I. And also the amount of support most of us have for our fellow members, irregardless of anything other than the fact that we love our vehicles.

magwakeenercew2jh 10-07-2014 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad (Post 6870080)
Trac209- up until this event I had no coolant loss. Is there a thread I can post to to avoid hijacking this awesome thread that we all enjoy?

I'll start one.

Here we go:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...97#post6870097

VWNate1 10-07-2014 08:47 AM

More often than not , head gasket failures are caused by old dirty radiators that don't cool enough.

Tango59 10-07-2014 09:23 PM

Went to the muffler shop and replaced the obnoxiously loud exhaust with Xlerator Turbo mufflers and new pipes out the back. Sounds really nice now. The relocated LMC gas tank stuck out like a sore thumb so I touched it up with a satin black. PerformanceOnline.com delivered my front springs after 2 months so I'm hoping to get the front springs and shocks finished this week.

jimbosprint 10-08-2014 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the new engine into my truck today!

Andy4639 10-10-2014 12:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a set of seats out of a 99 Tahoe. 6 way power with heat. I got the movement in both of them working + heat on the passenger side.
Need a seat module for the drivers side.
:chevy:

bennetta 10-10-2014 03:27 PM

Shopped around on the internet for some items. Radio delete plate, visor hooks,glove box parts,etc.... Found everything but radio delete plate.

bollybib 10-10-2014 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed a new transmission mount and cleaned up the crossmember and housing extension. All of this crawling underneath, what fun !

This is about the last place I hadn't cleaned underneath since all the leaks were fixed. It was thick with caked on oil and Utah red dirt. You can see how dirty it was, look at the top of the housing where it was hard to reach.

Attachment 1311107

Lees68GMC 10-10-2014 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a breather, didn't do any mechanical today, BUT I did photo-shop it!:lol: