The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=559922)

198plus 01-10-2013 10:22 AM

Re: How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster

Thanks for sharing :gi:

aggie91 01-10-2013 12:09 PM

I always enjoy your work. For a young guy you have great skills and an eye for detail.

If you have a bezel that the lower center screw hole is cracked, what do you do to fix it?

I will be doing mine this year, but mine is only the idiot light version so I will have less work to do :lol:..

theastronaut 01-10-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5808340)
I always enjoy your work. For a young guy you have great skills and an eye for detail.

If you have a bezel that the lower center screw hole is cracked, what do you do to fix it?

I will be doing mine this year, but mine is only the idiot light version so I will have less work to do :lol:..

I've never repaired one that was cracked, but it would probably be best to grind out the crack completely to keep it from spreading. Thick two part epoxy might work to fill the gap since there isn't much strain on that area. I don't think it can be welded since it's pot metal.

theastronaut 01-10-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 5807602)
Added to Faq's
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...79#post5807579
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, I've never seen that FAQ list! I've seen others on here but completely missed the one for my "home" 60-66 section.

jsdoyle 01-11-2013 02:01 PM

Awesome tutorial! I had planned on replacing mine with a Dakota cluster but after seeing this I'm going to do a restore first. I just hope I can come close to the fine job you do on these.

Still waiting to hear a source for the tach. I know you aren't done with the tutorial but hope you include that info.

Thanks!

Scott

theastronaut 01-11-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsdoyle (Post 5810593)
Awesome tutorial! I had planned on replacing mine with a Dakota cluster but after seeing this I'm going to do a restore first. I just hope I can come close to the fine job you do on these.

Still waiting to hear a source for the tach. I know you aren't done with the tutorial but hope you include that info.

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks! Jason at Greenback Decal custom built the tach for me. It looks stock but has a 10k range instead of the original 5k. He used my original block off plate and he supplied the tach guts, made the 10k decal using original colors and fonts, and calibrated the tach to the new face. Original style 5k tachs are available from places like LMC, Brothers, and Classic Parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

jsdoyle 01-11-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 5810607)
Thanks! Jason at Greenback Decal custom built the tach for me. It looks stock but has a 10k range instead of the original 5k. He used my original block off plate and he supplied the tach guts, made the 10k decal using original colors and fonts, and calibrated the tach to the new face. Original style 5k tachs are available from places like LMC, Brothers, and Classic Parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! I found the tach at LMC. Didn't see that there before!

Adding up the parts and material costs it looks like it could exceed 400 easy with the tach cost being the biggest expense. Adding a clock/air/vacuum gauge to the other side will bring it up even more.

Less than a new cluster from Dakota and original. Both good things depending on your taste.

Scott

theastronaut 01-11-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsdoyle (Post 5810871)
Thanks! I found the tach at LMC. Didn't see that there before!

Adding up the parts and material costs it looks like it could exceed 400 easy with the tach cost being the biggest expense. Adding a clock/air/vacuum gauge to the other side will bring it up even more.

Less than a new cluster from Dakota and original. Both good things depending on your taste.

Scott

LMC will probably be the most expensive. Shop around and I think you'll find one cheaper. I imagine they're all made by the same manufacture. You're not kidding about cost adding up; I'll have around $600 in this one not counting the donor cluster or the Air gauge that I already had.
Posted via Mobile Device

McCoyAZ 01-11-2013 05:53 PM

Anyone ever source out a clock that would fit into a restored gauge cluster like these?

dallas71 01-12-2013 02:26 PM

Awesome write up!
Posted via Mobile Device

64shortbox 01-12-2013 10:18 PM

Thank You for the write up.

PoDuck 01-13-2013 03:48 AM

This is pretty cool. I've been looking for this kind of info.

By the way, you don't have to get a new lens if you're just dealing with surface scratches on plexiglass. There are all sorts of products that will polish that stuff out of plastic. You don't even need the expensive headlight repair kits. A polishing wheel on a grinder and a plastic buffing and polishing compound would work better.

The only issue is when the plastic is cracked on a gauge cluster. There are ways to "repair" that, but none will be flawless, and when they don't make a repop lens for your gauge, it's a bear.

My lens actually has a crack in it, as well as scratches. I can replace it with clear plexiglass, but the numbers and things that are engraved into the plastic will be lost, and I've been exploring options on how to reproduce that.

I could design a stencil on the computer and reproduce those things with a flat painted look, but it won't look original.

I could find someone with a cnc machine, but that doesn't allow someone to do it in their own house unless they have one, and it would possibly end up more expensive than just finding an old gauge cluster in decent shape.

I'm not sure what could be done in such a situation, but it would be nice to figure something out.

McCoyAZ 01-13-2013 08:29 AM

[/QUOTE] I could design a stencil on the computer and reproduce those things with a flat painted look, but it won't look original.

I could find someone with a cnc machine, but that doesn't allow someone to do it in their own house unless they have one, and it would possibly end up more expensive than just finding an old gauge cluster in decent shape.

I'm not sure what could be done in such a situation, but it would be nice to figure something out.[/QUOTE]

Take it to a JEWELER that has an engraving system or a Laser Engraver.

theastronaut 01-14-2013 01:39 PM

The lettering on the original lens isn't engraved, it's just printed straight onto the plastic. The main reason for replacing the lens is to get rid of the faded letters and have the correct pale green coloring. Even if hazing and scratches can be sanded and buffed out, the color will still be faded. Jason at Greenback Decal can reprint the lens, and also modify the lettering. He is currently working on a 160 mph lens for the cluster I'm rebuilding.

theastronaut 01-14-2013 01:45 PM

Pic of the color difference.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...C44BA2FDC5.jpg

PoDuck 01-14-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 5817187)
The lettering on the original lens isn't engraved, it's just printed straight onto the plastic...

I should have made it clear that I was talking about the 1962 lens. It is engraved. If not, I could have made a stencil and painted the new piece myself.

benwah 01-14-2013 02:25 PM

I have 2 62 dash clusters one with a tac, and one that can be modified to insert a tac. How rare is the factory tac in a 60-63 truck? I see the 64-66 on FEEBAY but never 60-63.

theastronaut 01-14-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoDuck (Post 5817264)
I should have made it clear that I was talking about the 1962 lens. It is engraved. If not, I could have made a stencil and painted the new piece myself.

I didn't know that about the early lenses, I've only had 64-66 clusters.

theastronaut 01-15-2013 09:07 PM

Wiring harness details added.

brokenspoke 01-16-2013 07:20 AM

FYI....Echlers Vete site has orginial non adheasive tape for wrapping harness

DoubleL 01-16-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benwah (Post 5817295)
I have 2 62 dash clusters one with a tac, and one that can be modified to insert a tac. How rare is the factory tac in a 60-63 truck? I see the 64-66 on FEEBAY but never 60-63.

I think those tachs are pretty rare although the 64-66 are pretty hard to find as well. I believe the '62 tach will need a sending unit.

theastronaut 01-22-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogeroo (Post 5834940)
theastronaut :

epic thread Sir. :metal:

Thank you very much for taking the time to do that, photograph it all and then upload an caption everything.

I for one know how time consuming all of that can be.

-W

Thanks Woog, I enjoyed doing it! I was already going through the cluster so it wasn't that much more work to put this together. I appreciate you adding it to the FAQ, and also all the work you've put into the FAQ.

skip64 01-22-2013 01:44 PM

Subscribed and agree with everything Woogeroo wrote!

ljackson 01-22-2013 02:57 PM

Nice Job. Thanks for your effort.

61_FL_Apache 01-22-2013 07:08 PM

Great write up!!