The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cab Rust Areas (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=787606)

jlampka 05-27-2019 06:56 PM

Cab Rust Areas

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all - posted a few pictures of my cab where rust is located on my 1971 Chevy C20 that I purchased from San Diego 6 years ago. Who said SoCal trucks are rust free? LOL!

I have a cracked windshield so I hesitate to replace it because of the rust areas in the attached photos. I don't know if the rot is in the windshield seal area and if the windshield perimeter is weakened from the inside rust shown.

Looking for comments from individuals who repaired similar rust area on the cab.

Thank you!

jlampka 05-27-2019 07:39 PM

Cab Rust Areas

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all - posted a few pictures of my cab where rust is located on my 1971 Chevy C20 that I purchased from San Diego 6 years ago. Who said SoCal trucks are rust free? LOL!

I have a cracked windshield so I hesitate to replace it because of the rust areas in the attached photos. I don't know if the rot is in the windshield seal area and if the windshield perimeter is weakened from the inside rust shown.

Looking for comments from individuals who repaired similar rust area on the cab.

Thank you!

tristan 05-27-2019 08:07 PM

Re: Cab Rust Areas

Wish I could help you with the rust but I can't. However, as a native NTer I just have to say hello. Give them my best regards at Galassi's and Platters.

jlampka 05-27-2019 08:47 PM

Howdy to Tristan!

72 tigger 05-27-2019 09:39 PM

Sorry to see that- looks pretty bad. I would guess the windshield flange is really weak

too much stuff 05-27-2019 10:21 PM

I would think either a roof replacement, or cab replacement depending on the rest of the truck. I think you will be opening a can of worms if you remove the windshield.

Peanut74 05-27-2019 11:10 PM

If yours is like mine the seal area is fine. The only way to know for sure is to pull the windshield out and while it is out repair the rotted areas. You might wire brush the inside areas and see just how far the rot goes before pulling the windshield.

Average Joe 05-28-2019 01:27 AM

That dont look pretty. Pretty sure you are gonna open a can of worms when you pull out the old windshield. There are a lot of ways to "fix" this. Probably the right way would be to remove the outer truck roof and replace. Then patch in the inner with new metal. I have seen others treat the rust and apply fiberglass filler. Obviously not a long term or structural fix though. Either way, good luck!

Grumpy old man 05-28-2019 04:53 PM

There's a reason it was painted without pulling the windshield . if the inner and outer cab look that bad the pilars and rockers are gone also . Your looking at cab replacement it's just not worth repairing all that rust and it's going to be a lot worse when you pull that windshield considering only 1/2 of what's bad is reproduced sheet metal . Sell it and buy another . Never buy a truck with shiny paint on the rubber windshield gaskets . :smoke: