The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   This Should Be A Good Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=407747)

68jewel 06-15-2010 10:32 PM

This Should Be A Good Discussion

Well, we all have these trucks, 67-72. Some of us have more than one or two. So, it's obvious that we must love the hell out of this body style. But, there has to be something that we hate about them. You know, something that Chevy just didn't get quite right back in the day. Whether it was cosmetic, design, mechanical, operational, etc. Let's here it. This is purely for fun and just to have something to talk about. So lets not get sensitive guys. I'll start off...

* the gas tank in the cab had to be the most stupid thing ever
* small windows are ugly to me

ubtripn 06-15-2010 10:46 PM

Re: This Should Be A Good Discussion

Actually, that is precisely why I love them so much. For my personal tastes, Chevy got everything right. From the door handles to the hood shape to the fender lines to the roof line. Everything. Normally there is always one small thing that bothers me with a car or truck but with my 68 there is nothing. Perfection. Now if we were to change the word hate to not prefer - I would agree about the tank in the cab and stock tire size. =) (Guess I'm a walking contradiction which makes sense because the one word I would not associate with my love of these trucks would be logical.)

stealthy '69 06-15-2010 10:55 PM

In order of what i don't like most,

1) drum brakes on 67-70
2) and 6 lug on 67-70

other than that i can't think of anything else.

Rack Man 06-15-2010 11:01 PM

Steering column is way too close to the seat......I like the mod some have done by shortening the column a couple inches.....

RM

Painter D 06-15-2010 11:03 PM

*Gas tank in cab
*LWB
*Tailgate is a hassle to remove

swierker 06-15-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68jewel (Post 4032824)
* the gas tank in the cab had to be the most stupid thing ever

ditto

Hubscrub 06-15-2010 11:06 PM

the big steering wheel,2piece shaft, everything else is fine, well maybe a medium wheel base truck would have be cool

Jacfourteen 06-15-2010 11:17 PM

I wish that they were all coil sprung, that way mine would be easier to bag. I have a leaf rear but hope to lose it soon. I also agree about the incab tank.

Rob H. 06-15-2010 11:18 PM

Rust tendancies is my only gripe with them. But as has been said before, GM got them right from looks to dependablity, with style that never gets old! I've always loved riding in and driving these trucks since I was a kid. First pickup I ever drove was a 70 C/20 at 12 years old. It's 30 years later and I still think they're the best driving trucks ever made!

I really like the in cab tank myself. Sure I've got one that was rusted out but it's 38 years old and had sat for 10 years. I've had to replace under bed tanks on later models after 4 or 5 years with all the salt used around here! Just my opinion, but everybody has those.

OARNGESI 06-15-2010 11:22 PM

More cab room would be nice and a better stereo

Shyguy 06-15-2010 11:28 PM

I would be hard put to find something I don't like about these old trucks, but there are a few things that get on my nerves from time to time.

The distributor is in the wrong place for vertically challenged people like me. The grill on the '71/72 are not my favorite and made of plastic.

The seats are not that comfortable, of course when they were new they may have been.

Danny

vectorit 06-15-2010 11:52 PM

Every time I sit in my 1968 Suburban, I am transported back to when that truck was state of the art. It also reminds me of how far things have come in the car/truck industry, but with all of it's 1968 era technology I am perfectly happy
with the drum brakes, manual steering, and the gear whine of a Rockwell T221 (Music to my ears).

Though if I were to wish that GM did something better in a 1968 Suburban?
The rear cargo area floor. I would have wanted something better than a sheet of ply wood, but then back in those days trucks were made for truck work and overall utility. Not unlike what is produced these days from all manufactures for the most part.

67ChevyRedneck 06-16-2010 12:09 AM

The only bad thing? I never had the chance to buy one brand new, (born in 1980.)

68jewel 06-16-2010 12:09 AM

All good answers guys. I was just curious as I think daily that I can't wait to get my truck up and running and how I'm going to love it. That's when I thought, "Is there anything to not love about our trucks?"

prostreetC-10 06-16-2010 12:10 AM

*I hate how mean the sloped nose on my '68 looks.

*It makes me mad at how easy it was to go from a 250 inline 6 to a 460 BBC.

*sucks to have a big drive line that was easy to cut down when I put the Muncie M-22 in.

*Wish I was limited to a 6" wide wheel instead of the stupid 14" wheels I'm running now due to the 2 link/coil setup making it super easy to tub.

*Most importantly I wish people didn't stare at me when I bump down main street and give me the thumbs up or yell "bad-a$$ truck dude!"

Yeah.....these things really irk me!!!!!!

beebster 06-16-2010 12:33 AM

i really couldn't think of ANY til i saw a couple other answers.
Yea, the steering wheel is too close to the seat and i've got a 3/4 ton, so getting a peek at the rear brakes means REMOVING the axle!

On the bright side,the other day i was driving down the road and it was a beautiful 77 degrees and my truck was running good, new brakes,headers,tires,carpet,etc. And i was just feeling better than i've ever felt in any vehicle (including new cars i've owned) Cruising down the road in a truck i know all the work ,blood,sweat and tears that went into. And knowing it's not a vehicle that you see everyday on the road.
I owe alot of thanks to members on this board for their advice in getting my longhorn up and running (running well!)
this is turning out to be one great summer.

70cst 06-16-2010 12:35 AM

The only thing I don't care for is the prices of the "Corvette Optioned" trucks. :lol:

fine69 06-16-2010 12:50 AM

Honestly, there is not anything i hate about them. They were designed to be work trucks. And Chevy's/GMC's outlasted every other truck on the road. Hands down.

Smooth flowing body lines. Love them.

QKENUF4U 06-16-2010 01:23 AM

try working on the excursion and you will never find a problem with these trucks the rest of your life... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

68jewel 06-16-2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QKENUF4U (Post 4033142)
try working on the excursion and you will never find a problem with these trucks the rest of your life... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

It was too much trouble for Ford to work on Excursions. I guess that's why they stopped making them, huh.:lol::lol:

Stocker 06-16-2010 01:58 AM

My truck already has front discs, HEI, and a smaller steering wheel. The only thing I don't like about my in-cab tank is the lack of storage behind the seat. Some very old parts are rusted, rattling, or not working smoothly -- but that's no fault of the design. If I had to complain, I guess the HVAC could work better (compared to modern), and the 350 with a Q-jet doesn't start as quickly & idle as smoothly in cold weather as our Tacoma does.

But that's nit-picking... I love the old beast, and to me, it's the last truck design that Chevy really nailed. ubtripn mentioned the hood, roof, & fenders being just right, and I agree. Especially the fenders... tires are round, and rounded wheel openings just look right to me.

vortech71chevy 06-16-2010 02:21 AM

i would say the only thing that i might have changed, is make the top of the cab a little shorter from the top of the hood... but hey ill just chop it i guess, lol... i love my chevy

prairewolf 06-16-2010 06:08 AM

In 67 GM should have made a short run of Drag Trucks.... 150 white CST's, .
50 with 427/425hp. ..50 with 396/425hp.. and 50 with 327/375hp.......... something like that...wishful thinking I know, but it would be cool to stumble on one in a barn somewhere.

I am biased to 67's ...... but any 67-72 could have had some Drag Pack option.;)

68jewel 06-16-2010 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairewolf (Post 4033223)
In 67 GM should have made a short run of Drag Trucks.... 150 white CST's, .
50 with 427/425hp. ..50 with 396/425hp.. and 50 with 327/375hp.......... something like that...wishful thinking I know, but it would be cool to stumble on one in a barn somewhere.

I am biased to 67's ...... but any 67-72 could have had some Drag Pack option.;)

I bet there aren't many or none at all of the 50 with 427's in them. Hell, one can only dream of finding a 427 engine alone. Regardless of what it came in. And when you do, it's going to cost a pretty penny. If Chevy only made 50, I bet half of those were gone in 25 years.

rsavage 06-16-2010 07:13 AM

Actually, I believe Chevy got it right with the 60-63, 64-65, and the 67-72 truck designs. The 60's trucks have great lines too but are even more basic. In any event, I have never tired of looking at, driving, or lusting after more of these trucks. Hell, I don't have any more garage space and I still look every day on Craig's list for another truck! It is a disease. Hmmm - wonder if my wife of 35 years is serious about divorce if I bring another one home?