The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   BEWARE of new fuel tank sending unit floats that leak. 67-72's (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=426881)

72freak 10-19-2010 07:22 PM

BEWARE of new fuel tank sending unit floats that leak. 67-72's

BEWARE...I doubt they all come from the same place so I guess its hit or miss.
The floats on these afternarket sending units need to be changed to plastic before you install it unless you want to do it twice.

A few years ago I ordered some stuff from a board vendor and one of the things I got was a fuel tank sending unit. Shortly after installing the sending unit I noticed the fuel gauge was not working. After checking everything else because I knew I had a new sending unit I finally pulled it back out and there it was......a float full of gas. I contacted the vendor to let them know but just went ahead and bought a plastic float to replace the brass one that was in there. Jump forward a few years and I put in a small order to the same vendor that included 2 sending units. Got around to installing one of the sending units a few months later and all was good for about a week. I looked down one day and there it was again. EMPTY. This time I went straight to the sending unit and guess what I found....yep.....the float was full of gas. Since the vendor only does business VIA fax or internet I emailed them requesting they send me some new floats (2 emails now over 45 days) and a third today. I have yet to hear back.

70BLAZERX2 10-19-2010 07:40 PM

Re: BEWARE of new fuel tank sending unit floats that leak. 67-72's

same thing in my 2wd blazer tank...and that is more involved to change the unit than a truck.. Float full of gas...I guess they are testing the floats in water in china rather than gas that is thinner.. Anytime you have to drop a tank that is full of gas..is not easy..

Tim Christian 10-19-2010 08:34 PM

I have had this problem selling the sending uniys when I was in bussiness some worked good some did not but what I do working on personal stuff I remove the float from the old sending unit(if good) and put it on the new one.

72freak 10-19-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Christian (Post 4249607)
I have had this problem selling the sending uniys when I was in bussiness some worked good some did not but what I do working on personal stuff I remove the float from the old sending unit(if good) and put it on the new one.

Any time I scrap a truck that is one of the things I save....the OE float.

72freak 10-20-2010 11:50 AM

I was contacted today by the board vendor of these offering to replace the floats with some of the "same" floats if I paid to send them back. Greatly appreciate the generous offer but ill probably just save that shipping fee and go get me some plastic floats from the parts store.

71meangreenc10 10-21-2010 04:45 PM

Been there, done that....I hate the new floats....

Smitty

72freak 10-21-2010 08:55 PM

They should all come with plastic floats!

Classic Heartbeat 10-23-2010 07:07 PM

It's a sad fact but true. The pickup sending unit floats are about 1/2 bad. In an effort to bring back to the USA some of the manufacturing of reproduction parts we have been working with a new manufacturer to have them produced here in the USA. So far we have the Blazer/ Suburban sending units, but not the pickup ones. They are looking at the cost of tooling up for them verses the return of sales. You need to remember they are competing with Taiwan prices, and it hard to compete with them. We have found out that with most venders, they would rather have a cheap part than a quality part. Sad but true. :waah: WES

joedirt 02-19-2011 06:18 PM

Do any of y'all know where I can can get one of those plastic floats?

Thanks,
joe

Ironhorse 02-25-2011 02:15 PM

I had the same problem several years ago when I moved my in-cab tank to behind rear axle under the bed. Purchased my kit from GMC Paul and installed with no problems. Several days after the install with a known "FULL" tank guage read "ZERO". Found the problem to be a float full of gas, called GMC Paul, spoke to them and they "OVERNIGHTED" a replacement at their expense, no cost to me. Installed new float and no problems since. Now that is what I call "CUSTOMER SERVICE" ! Top notch vender there. :chevy: Was a brass float, replacement is also brass.

fishingjred73 02-02-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat (Post 4256197)
It's a sad fact but true. The pickup sending unit floats are about 1/2 bad. In an effort to bring back to the USA some of the manufacturing of reproduction parts we have been working with a new manufacturer to have them produced here in the USA. So far we have the Blazer/ Suburban sending units, but not the pickup ones. They are looking at the cost of tooling up for them verses the return of sales. You need to remember they are competing with Taiwan prices, and it hard to compete with them. We have found out that with most venders, they would rather have a cheap part than a quality part. Sad but true. :waah: WES

Old thread but any change on the truck floats?

72freak 04-23-2013 06:47 AM

I havent bought one in a while...dont know but I doubt any change has been made.

Chrisx66 04-24-2013 02:37 PM

It's been about 5 years since I've replaced a float, but I used to buy them for the 64-73 Mustangs from the Ford dealer. They fit almost all the GM cars with the brass float.
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 08-11-2013 07:10 PM

I had the same problem with a new sending unit for my 57 Chevy truck. The float had a hairline crack and filled up and sank. I removed it and used a heat gun to heat it and expel the gas. When I was sure I had it emptied, while it was still hot, I soldered up the crack. It's been a year now and it's working fine. It's irritating that we pay high prices for this chinese made stuff and still get poor quality but what other choices do we have?

sjburk 10-30-2013 04:12 PM

A new sending unit had a bad float on it that I bought recently. I literally could NOT find a plastic one, but I got a brass one from LMC. It does say Taiwan on the packaging. I was considering before using it to wrap it in sealant tape or coat the seam in red silicone. Would this be wise or will silicone make the float sink dissolve in the gas etc and are there any other measures I could take before install that would insure the float will stay good at least a few years?

full foot notch 02-12-2015 10:16 PM

Bringing this one back from the dead. Need a plastic float as the recent new sending unit I installed had a hairline crack in it. What vendors carry it.

chaptr2 02-15-2015 10:37 PM

Funny how this comes up. I put a Poly Blazer tank in my stepside over 10 years ago. The project stalled until now and I am revisiting past things that I thought were new. Well, new when I installed them, but with next to zero miles. Age is age never the less.

My fuel sending unit looks like it exploded it was so bad. I will need a replacement sending until as well. Is there any good sending units with plastic floats out there that I won't have to removed the bed wood to replace in a few years?

71meangreenc10 02-16-2015 02:26 PM

I have heard that 80-80something F150's have the plastic float that fits our sending units. Never tried it though.

Looky what I found.....Same measurements as the brass floats...

Amazon.com: Omix-Ada 17729.01 Fuel Tank Plastic... Amazon.com: Omix-Ada 17729.01 Fuel Tank Plastic...
Smitty

71meangreenc10 02-16-2015 02:58 PM

5357373-F is the part number for the float, comes up as a Jeep Part. Might get them cheaper from the jeep sites, depends on shipping. I am ordering one just to try it out.

The ford ones are brass at LMC with same part numbers as the chevy's, but other sites show them as plastic and or brass.

Smitty

chuckmc8 02-16-2015 03:43 PM

I about to change the float on one of mine for the 3rd time in 6 months.

When I put this truck together, I ordered a new sending unit to replace the factory one because I though it was good maintenance. A month later, the gas gauge is indicating empty, although I know it has half or more gas in the tank (Sure sign of leaking float) . On the new aftermarket sender, the crappy plating was already rusting through in the tank on the metal parts and the float was full of gas. I had another new sending unit and put that new float on and now its the same dang thing.

I'd like to know the details on the plastic replacement float when someone gets on and installs it please.
[
The sad thing is that this thread is nearly five years old and the floats are still not worth a flip.

71meangreenc10 02-16-2015 06:47 PM

Chuck,

I have a plastic one in my SWB and it has been there 10+years. Cant remember what I got it from but I would bet a good sammich that it is the same type as the one I posted. It went in just like a brass one did.

Smitty

chaptr2 03-06-2015 06:07 PM

I just put an order in to Summit Racing for a 3/8" pickup strainer an a plastic float with the part number above. I'll post how it all works. I noticed at the bottom of the Summit page that someone had written,

"Something worth buying
If you want a float that will not dissolve in ethanol gas. I put these in old Chevrolet trucks, a perfect replacement."

Here is the strainer http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-k405
Here is the Float http://www.summitracing.com/parts/omx-1772901

Chrispbrown36 03-07-2015 11:16 PM

I was just looking at rockauto and their sending units appear to have flat plastic floats, but that is based on the pictures. Might be worth a call.

71meangreenc10 03-09-2015 10:54 PM

The summit float is cheaper than on amazon/jeep sites. Depends on shipping, but I know it works. I am going to order a couple more just for the old tool box.

Smitty

chaptr2 03-14-2015 05:40 PM

The summit parts work great. The float snaps in and the screen is nice and snug fit.