The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Got bit in the gas (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=806945)

72c20customcamper 05-27-2020 08:46 PM

Got bit in the gas

Today I took my burban out for a few errands. Ran great untill shevhit a hill she boggged down started sputtering and a couple of pops out the exhaust. Ok really warm today truck sat a couple of minutes in the tractor supply lot =vapor lock . Get over the hill it's fine till I come up to my place very steep hill for about 1 mile . Truck is doing 3 mph with me pumping the gas peddle the whole way. Get home first thing I do is pull the fuel line and the carb filter clean as can be . Have the misses crank the motor a few revolutions gas spitting out the line. I let it sit in the jar no water . Smell it, smells like turpentine.

Back story is I took the truck to Carlisle last year ran great. Met up with Tim aka special k and a his buddy believe his name is Chris. I filled the truck up in PA near the NY boarder and drove home and put it away . Not even thinking its ethonal gas. So I put the truck away with crappy gas now I have to get 20+ gallons out and refill with non ethonal high test. . God I'm so stupid

LockDoc 05-27-2020 10:41 PM

Re: Got bit in the gas

-
I leave 10% Ethanol gas in the tank all winter in the '67 Panel Truck and '71 Dually and haven't had any problems. I do put Sta-Bil in them though.

LockDoc

Richard 05-28-2020 02:07 AM

My brother sent me a link to this vid a while ago. Like a lot of his stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvS_D4_lF5U

special-K 05-28-2020 08:02 AM

Hey John, Fred, I mean Mark, my name is Tim and my buddy's is Jason and that was the Hard Times Brewery :lol:

Did you have to replace the fuel tank or remove and clean, I seem to remember before coming to Carlisle? The turpentine smell I think of as the good old gas. I never really noticed that with ethanol. I've had better luck with 10 year old gasoline than 10 month old ethanol. My thoughts go straight to the carb. Try running some Seafoam to fill the carb, let it sit. Put Seafoam in tank and start it up. I had this work for me.

Here's that story. My '71 wrecker had sat too long w/o running due to a no crank issue. By the time I got it to crank it wouldn't fire. Now this was a freshly rebuilt carb but I had run it, sitting, a couple times. I first did an ignition tune-up and coil because it was showing weak spark, but still wouldn't fire. I drain the tank and purge it with air pressure. I put a couple gallons of Cam2 in, perk it with air, drain, and purge again. Next I put 5 gallons of Cam2 in and it runs fine. I moved the truck around and drove it some. So theoretically the truck was ethanol-free.

A few months later I sell the truck, guy is on his way from Buffalo, and I want to do a farewell video. I do the whole walk around, under hood, get in and fire it up, I'm stating how well she runs, then comes "blub blub blubba sput sput sputter sput… CUT!! :lol: I look under the hood real quick and that carb was like a fountain. Fuel running out of every seam it seemed. I'm thinking how the buyer came so far, will probably still want it, but will certainly hit me with a new lower number. Well, bad for him because I'd turn him back toward home and keep the truck before doing that. I really liked it!

I ran to town for a cheap inline filter and Seafoam. I filled the filter (big plastic kind) with Seafoam, coil wire off, cranked it into carb. I only had an hour or so before he would arrive. I waited as long as I could, with bottle of Seafoam in tank, cranked it over and it purred like a kitten. Drove it onto his trailer no problem.

72c20customcamper 05-28-2020 09:06 AM

Corrected Tim. Lol I did replace everything from tank, fuel pump filters . Wasnt any rust just sludgy gas. This gas is a little cloudy . I'm going to drain it flush the line and put some fresh gas and a new filter , start with that .

72c20customcamper 05-28-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8747582)
Hey John, Fred, I mean Mark, my name is Tim and my buddy's is Jason and that was the Hard Times Brewery :lol:

Did you have to replace the fuel tank or remove and clean, I seem to remember before coming to Carlisle? The turpentine smell I think of as the good old gas. I never really noticed that with ethanol. I've had better luck with 10 year old gasoline than 10 month old ethanol. My thoughts go straight to the carb. Try running some Seafoam to fill the carb, let it sit. Put Seafoam in tank and start it up. I had this work for me.

Here's that story. My '71 wrecker had sat too long w/o running due to a no crank issue. By the time I got it to crank it wouldn't fire. Now this was a freshly rebuilt carb but I had run it, sitting, a couple times. I first did an ignition tune-up and coil because it was showing weak spark, but still wouldn't fire. I drain the tank and purge it with air pressure. I put a couple gallons of Cam2 in, perk it with air, drain, and purge again. Next I put 5 gallons of Cam2 in and it runs fine. I moved the truck around and drove it some. So theoretically the truck was ethanol-free.

A few months later I sell the truck, guy is on his way from Buffalo, and I want to do a farewell video. I do the whole walk around, under hood, get in and fire it up, I'm stating how well she runs, then comes "blub blub blubba sput sput sputter sput… CUT!! :lol: I look under the hood real quick and that carb was like a fountain. Fuel running out of every seam it seemed. I'm thinking how the buyer came so far, will probably still want it, but will certainly hit me with a new lower number. Well, bad for him because I'd turn him back toward home and keep the truck before doing that. I really liked it!

I ran to town for a cheap inline filter and Seafoam. I filled the filter (big plastic kind) with Seafoam, coil wire off, cranked it into carb. I only had an hour or so before he would arrive. I waited as long as I could, with bottle of Seafoam in tank, cranked it over and it purred like a kitten. Drove it onto his trailer no problem.

It only does it when the engine is under load runs fine until I go up a steep incline . Old days that would steer me to plugs but they are new . Thinking thr gas doesn't have the volatility it should . I let ya know how it goes.

The Scott thing came from me and the wife talking at the same time I was posting . Her cousin lives in Phoenix and wants use to come out again.

72c20customcamper 05-29-2020 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup crappy Pennsylvania gas . Guess which is the ethonal gas . No prize no teddy bear for your right answer. One is from the tank other is fresh non ethonal

72c20customcamper 05-30-2020 10:32 AM

Took it out today ran great with new gas . But the high side power steering hose blew out on me

Boog 05-30-2020 10:52 AM

And what did you put in that gas?:lol:

mrein3 05-30-2020 11:15 AM

FWIW, I have a simple rule. In my daily drivers I use the ethanol crap. They don't sit that much however with this COVID business and working from home my monthly gas use has gone from 75-80 gallons a month to 8 gallons a month so I may need to think about a dose of Stabil in my tank.

Other than my daily drivers, EVERY OTHER ENGINE I own gets ethanol free gas. It costs more but why risk it? If I had a nickle for every small engine carburetor I cleaned out for an ethanol buying neighbor I'd be a rich man.

Now let me state that I live in the state where nothing is allowed. The ethanol free pump can only be used for boats, small engines, and vehicles over 20 years old. I do try to comply even as I see others fill their daily drivers with that pump.

If you don't have access to ethanol free gas, make sure you use Seafoam or Stabil. It is worth it.

54blackhornet 05-30-2020 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 71 C/20 sits still from October to May, because it’s only job is to bring in firewood from my property. I only use ethanol free fuel in it. The truck is mostly original with 54000 miles. This year she started but ran terribly. I checked most of the usual suspects but determined it must be the Two Jet. I sent it off to The Carb Exchange in NJ. Mike did a fantastic job , carb looks new and truck runs like a sewing machine again.

72c20customcamper 06-02-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8748822)
And what did you put in that gas?:lol:

That's the problem I didnt think about it ,that PA has ethonal so when I stored it I should have put stable in it