The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Static Drop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797972)

1981_c10 12-11-2019 04:06 PM

Static Drop

Friends, I am going to installing a 2.5/4 inch drop on my 81 C10 over the Holidays and would love some pro tips before starting. here are the plans and parts i currently have:

Front:
2.5 drop spindles
stock replacement coil springs
New ball joints
Stock replacement shocks (didnt think i needed lowering shocks due to spindle)
Sway bar
Should i replace the bushings in the control arms? (i have not purchased new ones yet)

Rear:
2 in hangers
2 inch shackles
Drop shocks or stock? (havent purchased yet)
Should i replace the bushings in the leaf springs? (havent purchased yet)

This will be my first time doing this so any info is helpful!

Thanks!

wixthedog 12-11-2019 07:49 PM

Re: Static Drop

I am a fan of refreshing and making things 'new' whenever I get into them. That being said, I would definitely replace what was needed while you are in there.

SCOTI 12-13-2019 10:37 AM

Bushings are likely toast if it's been used & not a yard queen (the last Square trucks built are 40yrs old now). inspect them & plan accordingly. Your plan for the front seems good & you're correct the shock travel won't change w/the spindle swap.

For the rear, same rules apply for the leaf bushings. I would opt for relocating the lower shock mounting point w/shock extension brackets to get a better angle on the shocks & to allow using stock spec replacement shocks vs. 'drop' shocks.

When you get it aligned, the 'book' will call for +.5 Camber. Request 0 (zero) to -.5 Camber & as much Caster as they can dial in w/that new Camber set-point. The lower center of gravity & updated camber spec will be an improvement.

Check the other steering parts while you're in there. The tie-rod ends, Idler, & Pitman arms need to be in good shape as well. Summit Racing offers the Moog product line & they're usually 50% less than your local parts place on the price.

1981_c10 12-13-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8642152)
Bushings are likely toast if it's been used & not a yard queen (the last Square trucks built are 40yrs old now). inspect them & plan accordingly. Your plan for the front seems good & you're correct the shock travel won't change w/the spindle swap.

For the rear, same rules apply for the leaf bushings. I would opt for relocating the lower shock mounting point w/shock extension brackets to get a better angle on the shocks & to allow using stock spec replacement shocks vs. 'drop' shocks.

When you get it aligned, the 'book' will call for +.5 Camber. Request 0 (zero) to -.5 Camber & as much Caster as they can dial in w/that new Camber set-point. The lower center of gravity & updated camber spec will be an improvement.

Check the other steering parts while you're in there. The tie-rod ends, Idler, & Pitman arms need to be in good shape as well. Summit Racing offers the Moog product line & they're usually 50% less than your local parts place on the price.

Thanks for the helpful info! Luckily my truck only has 120K miles on it so I will give it all a good look. Alignment tips are super helpful! Will keep everyone updated on my results.

1981_c10 01-02-2020 04:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
See the attached pictures for the update. Almost finished...ran into every problem you could imagine from having to break my wheel locks off to couldnt get the new shock in because the gasket was big...now i am fighting bearing race. Once i finish those, i will do the sway bar and rear.

1981_c10 01-02-2020 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Old shocks...

wixthedog 01-02-2020 06:31 PM

It's coming along well! I always run into issue, its kind of expected at this point.

I assume you have the 1" brakes? The spindles look different.

1981_c10 01-09-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wixthedog (Post 8653226)
It's coming along well! I always run into issue, its kind of expected at this point.

I assume you have the 1" brakes? The spindles look different.

Thank you! And yes you are correct in the 1 inch spindles. I honestly bought the spindles on CL for a really good deal like 5 years ago and didnt check if they were the correct ones...but my luck paid off this time!

marcoman 01-22-2020 10:07 PM

So how'd it end up coming out? I'm looking to do a static drop in the future and I'd like to see your results.:)

1981_c10 01-31-2020 06:27 PM

Front is done, minus the sway bar i need to install. Pretty happy with the front. Honestly, will probably end up cutting a coil off the springs i installed to try to lower the front one more inch.

Rear should be done in the next week or two. i will post updates.

The steering is way better with the truck lowered though. With that said, need and alignment lol

lolife99 02-01-2020 12:30 AM

1/2 coil = 1” of drop.
That’s a rule I go by.
1 full coil will get you about 2” of drop.

MikeB 02-11-2020 12:15 AM

How much net drop did you get on the front? I installed 2.5" spindles with new Moog coil springs (the softest they had), but ended up with a net drop of around 1.5". Turns out the new springs are the same extended height, but a little stiffer than the basic OE springs. Anyway, the truck has settled another 1/2" or so since then. I think my avatar picture is before the drop.

1981_c10 02-18-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8676445)
How much net drop did you get on the front? I installed 2.5" spindles with new Moog coil springs (the softest they had), but ended up with a net drop of around 1.5". Turns out the new springs are the same extended height, but a little stiffer than the basic OE springs. Anyway, the truck has settled another 1/2" or so since then. I think my avatar picture is before the drop.

I ended with the same 1.5 net drop as you. That is why i want to eventually cut part of a coil off. Did you do hangers and shackles in the rear? Any advice?

1981_c10 02-18-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8670503)
1/2 coil = 1” of drop.
That’s a rule I go by.
1 full coil will get you about 2” of drop.

That is good to know. Better to start small haha.

Scott91370 02-19-2020 08:12 PM

Wish I would have sen this sooner. I'm right up the road and have a small press for removing and replacing the bushings. I just did the rear springs and shackles this past weekend. Took about 20 minutes to r&r all 6.

Hoping to do the fronts this weekend.