The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Transmission placement (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810104)

Root2812 08-03-2020 07:34 PM

Transmission placement

Hi guys. I’ve done the research and know about equal and opposing angles. I got the up and down angles set. It’s side to side I’m worrying about. I have my crank bolt dead center in the frame but my centerline of the tail housing on my transmission is just under 1/4 to the passenger side. I’ve already used up what wiggle room I had in the mounting holes. Before I go and oblong a hole on my crossmember to shift the mount over I figured I’d ask if it were really necessary. It shouldn’t matter but I am running a ford 8.8 with an offset diff.

I figure it’s safer to ask then remove metal than remove metal then ask.

AussieinNC 08-03-2020 07:40 PM

Re: Transmission placement

Quote:

Originally Posted by Root2812 (Post 8786640)
Hi guys. I’ve done the research and know about equal and opposing angles. I got the up and down angles set. It’s side to side I’m worrying about. I have my crank bolt dead center in the frame but my centerline of the tail housing on my transmission is just under 1/4 to the passenger side. I’ve already used up what wiggle room I had in the mounting holes. Before I go and oblong a hole on my crossmember to shift the mount over I figured I’d ask if it were really necessary. It shouldn’t matter but I am running a ford 8.8 with an offset diff.

I figure it’s safer to ask then remove metal than remove metal then ask.

What engine?
Trans?
2WD or 4WD?

1/4" at the trans mount is not much....but it should be centered....

Loosen the engine mount bolts a little and slide the trans across that 1/4".

Then tighten everything down again...

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

Root2812 08-03-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieinNC (Post 8786642)
What engine?
Trans?
2WD or 4WD?

1/4" at the trans mount is not much....but it should be centered....

Loosen the engine mount bolts a little and slide the trans across that 1/4".

Then tighten everything down again...

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

5.3L w/ 2wd 4L60e. Transmission mount is the one center bolt style from the donor Silverado. I already loosened up the motor mounts and pushed it over. The last 1/4 is going to have to be gotten from modifying something.

This is my first build and everything is custom so I think I did alright getting it there so far. Fine tuning now before the body goes back on. If it has to go over I’ll oblong the hole in the cross member I made.

mongocanfly 08-03-2020 07:57 PM

The engine trans can be offset without issue...it just needs to be perpendicular to the axle..
1/4" out isnt much, like aussie stated, but I try to get mine as perfect as possible...
Like he said, see if you've got wiggle room in the motor mounts...

Root2812 08-03-2020 08:02 PM

Thanks guys. I got tired and called it an evening on it for today. I’ll hit it again tomorrow and see if I can wiggle it a little more.

LS short box 08-03-2020 09:14 PM

1/4" offset is well within the 1950's specs. But if you can just slot the mount a bit to get it perfect I would go for it.

tinydb84 08-11-2020 05:27 PM

For 1/4'' I wouldn't worry. You can oblong the hole now or later if you get vibrations. Double check to make sure everything in the chassis is straight though.

truckdude239 08-15-2020 07:54 PM

where we suppose to check thT stuff? Lol I literally just threw my adapter plates in drop motor and trans in slid my trans meter back 5 or 6 inches mount fell right in whole and re drilled frame forcross menber so id amagicne the 1/4 wont hurt

Tork? 08-16-2020 12:52 PM

An adj panhard bar would get you 1/4" on the axle end