The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Dealer Fog Lamp Program? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=187929)

67ChevyRedneck 02-01-2006 10:35 AM

Dealer Fog Lamp Program?

Ok fellers, my fog, or driving lights as some folks like to call 'em, arrived. They are the official GM install kit from a dealer. I already put the switch in the cab, it was super easy and I'll probably hook up the lights and wires tonight....

To the question.

I was reading through the directions (quit laughing) and on the last page it says I need to take it into a dealer to have the fog light program installed??? I'm sure they'll charge me at least 30 bucks to do it. Is there anyway I can do this myself (like the key fobb reprogram?) or am I doomed to bend over and pay for the "fog light program.":dum:

67 C-10 LWB 02-03-2006 07:03 PM

Re: Dealer Fog Lamp Program?

I don't know one way or the other but I am hoping to add factory fog lights to my 99 Z71 one day and I've heard the same thing that you have to go to the dealer and have the BCM flashed for them to work.

Have you hooked them up completely? If so do they work?
When I do I was going to try to get them working w/out the dealer flash, but it might be unavoidable.

67ChevyRedneck 02-03-2006 08:16 PM

Everything is completely installed. Didn't take more than an hour. Factory switch, wires, everything (it goes where the cargo lamp switch, the entire thing swaps out, so you'll have the fog and a new cargo lamp switch.) The instructions were very clear, except for the final wiring diagram for the bcm hook-up. I hooked them up backwards at first and they turned on and off with the headlights. That's kind of illegal around here so I moved them to the other spot. Now they don't "work." I went to GM-trucks.com and sevaral members all verified you have to pay a dealer between 30-40 bucks to do it. BS! There was one guy who said you could bypass the bcm and use the factory switch, but that's all he said, I've asked for details on how to do this, but he hasn't responded back yet. SO, I have a $70 fog light set on my truck that doesn't "work."

Josh 02-04-2006 12:39 PM

You'll have to get the BCM reprogrammed, most dealers charge $40-75 to do it. Try talkin to one of the techs see if they'll do it for $20 cash or something :)

Chrome8 02-11-2006 07:57 PM

No way around the program unless you do wire em bypassing the BCM. The handheld programmer is $3000, not including the sattelite dish link to GM or the PC they pull the data from, or the server or the 1.5 mil shop, or the training.......you get the idea.

67ChevyRedneck 02-13-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrome8
No way around the program unless you do wire em bypassing the BCM. The handheld programmer is $3000, not including the sattelite dish link to GM or the PC they pull the data from, or the server or the 1.5 mil shop, or the training.......you get the idea.

I still think it's stupid I have to have fog lights PROGRAMMED to work:crazy:

:)

That's actually a way for a dealer to make money... you can't do it yourself, thats a quick 50 bucks for them, or probably 300 if they do everything (install, program, whatever else.) So much for plug and play anymore, huh?

Ever fell like the car companies, not just GM, do this to their customers?:nut: