The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Big Block Build is what I'm calling mine. New pics inside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=259536)

Chevy Fleetside 09-22-2007 10:32 PM

Big Block Build is what I'm calling mine. New pics inside

I got the Headers Thursday and tried fitting them tonight. Seems for me to get the left one in I will have to take the plugs out and I have to cut the frame a little for more clearance on the right side as you can see in this picture. They will bolt up but 1/16 of an inch clearance from the frame is not enough. I still have to patch the firewall on the left side also...

Chevy Fleetside 09-22-2007 10:33 PM

Re: Big Block Build is what I'm calling mine. New pics inside

3 Attachment(s)
forgot the pics...

Chevy Fleetside 09-22-2007 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just so all of you know. The big block will be painted like this..

Chevy Fleetside 09-27-2007 09:24 PM

Damn,,, Tough crowd.... :hm:

Alan's Classic 09-27-2007 11:27 PM

Looking good. I did notice the clearance between distributor and fire wall. Have you put the cap on it yet?

I wish I was that far along.

Good Luck

65chevypickupguy 09-28-2007 01:10 AM

Instead of beating on the firewall, unbolt the frame mounts, slide everything forward just enough to clear distributor, valve covers, etc, Then scribe the holes on the frame mounts and drill new holes. I assume you're using a newer transmission and you're going to have to make a custom drive shaft? I had to do it on my small block with HEI.

63 & 64 Bowties 09-28-2007 04:15 AM

I really like the engine color. did you have it that color already, then tear it down, 'cause that don't look like a photoshop paint job.

Chevy Fleetside 09-28-2007 09:34 AM

I am putting the engine in the stock location. I am putting a built 700R4 and I already have the shaft for it. If I move the engine forward I will have to have another shaft made up. There is plenty of clearance for the dist cap to fit in there seeing it is the smaller HEI.

That was the first paint job. I really didn't like the way it turned out. It looks much better in pictures then in person. That was also my first paint job and I have learned alot more now. I did rebuild the truck once and drove it for 4 years and started to develope rot under the left door and there is a big scratch down the right door, so I decieded to upgrade. I still have the engine that is all painted blue plus another one so I am not short of small blocks, and they are both TBI engines.
I also switched from a stepside bed back to a fleetside. I really wanted a fleetside in that year and maybe I will pick up another stepside again after I am done with this one.

Iron-Butt 09-29-2007 12:35 AM

I had to cut the frame on both side when I put the 454 in my 65. I used the stock exhaust manifolds.

Captainfab 09-29-2007 01:01 AM

I had to notch the frame for the #2 tube on my '66 Suburban also, in spite of the fact that I moved the engine forward ~2"

Chevy Fleetside 10-10-2007 10:14 AM

With the engine in the stock position I will just have to take a nib from the frame for the front tube on the right side. I haven't fitted the left side yet..

Silver 10-22-2007 06:05 AM

Please tell what headers were used to fit. I to have replased my small block with a 454 and need help with the headeds.

Chevy Fleetside 10-22-2007 09:38 AM

They are Hedman Elete Headers for a chevy truck.. My engine is sitting back with the stock mounts so the headers clear the frame better but still need some grinding on the frame so they don't touch.. With the engine mounted up a few inches I think you have to cut the frame more but not 100% sure of this. Other had to cut the frame for the headers. On the newer trucks the frames up were the headers are, are much narrower then in the 60's trucks..

jchav62 10-22-2007 10:02 AM

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the engine painted up....Keep us posted...

Silver 10-22-2007 03:14 PM

What year truck, I hate to keep after this but I have already tried two differant styles. I know that 66's did not come with big blocks, so what yaer should I be looking into.

Thanks

Ronin8451 10-22-2007 07:57 PM

I used cheap headman headers for a 67-72 on my old '66 with the 427 in it using stock motor mounts and dimpled one tube ( can't remember which one) and the frame already was notched by the PO for the first tubes on each bank. I never found any that would just drop right in .

Chevy Fleetside 10-22-2007 09:35 PM

They are for 73-87 year trucks. Also they are 1 3/4 primary tubes and not the 2" tube.

I can't want to see it all painted up too.. also running with me gassing it... :cool:

Chevy Fleetside 11-06-2007 10:07 AM

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku These are the headers I used..

NF65Fleetside 12-04-2007 10:59 PM

I made the plunge and got a 454 today also! Have to clean her up a bit and going to get a few small hop up parts. Wanted to know if you guys think that a set of shorty headers would help with clearance issue? Also I have a 65' C10 so will using the stock small block mounts and location be ok? I see that most of you are doing a lot of mods but all for different reasons...just want to know a straight forward way of getting the motor in.

Chevy Fleetside 12-05-2007 10:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I might as well keep my pictures here... I'm hoping the next pictures I post will be on the engine all nice and pretty,....

Chevy Fleetside 06-06-2008 10:48 PM

Got the crossmember drilled and mounted today. The engine is set and now I can move on to the next thing.. Now I just have to figure out what that is going to be.. I think I will mount the TBI unit and run the throttle set up..

joe231 06-06-2008 11:00 PM

sweet

scotts62 06-06-2008 11:44 PM

Cool looks good man :metal:

ChiefRocka 06-07-2008 10:58 AM

Well it's about time we see some progress !!! http://i31.tinypic.com/2rw7y9w.gif http://i31.tinypic.com/2rw7y9w.gif http://i31.tinypic.com/2rw7y9w.gif

JK man...I know your busy....

Looking good....

You running a stock TBI, or an aftermarket one ?

Chevy Fleetside 06-07-2008 03:20 PM

stock for now. I am not building a hot rod just a cruiser..