The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I made a bench (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752615)

WestButteTruck 12-14-2017 08:00 PM

I made a bench

1 Attachment(s)
So I made this cool bench, at least I think it's pretty cool. It's been something I have wanted to do for a few years now and finally got it done last August.

A little history behind this particular tailgate. My uncle bought the truck new back in 72, a Cheyenne Super 4x4 and then it was driven by his son until the early 2000's. Needless to say, it was his pride and joy. My cousin was involved in an ATV accident that eventually took his life due to complications from that accident.

So, sometime around 2013, my uncle calls me and asks if I would be interested in the pickup. I knew it was in pretty rough shape, but I knew that he figured I would take the time and care of restoring it at some point. So of course, I said yes.

I knew I had to do something for my aunt and uncle as a "thank you" for the pickup, but I also knew that this bench might help with their grieving. I have no idea what it is like to lose a child and I hope I never do. So, I delivered the bench in August and it was awesome to see the look on both their faces when we unloaded it. Pretty emotional to say the least, I could tell they were grateful to have back a piece of that pickup that he cherished so much.

mongocanfly 12-14-2017 08:03 PM

Re: I made a bench

so cool.....and what a great backstory...

Indian113 12-14-2017 08:49 PM

I'm sure the Bench you made will provide them with some great time and comfort. You did GOOD!

67ChevyRedneck 12-15-2017 12:18 AM

That was incredibly nice of you to do that, and it came out fantastic.

WestButteTruck 12-15-2017 12:49 AM

Thank you for the kind words. I left the tailgate exactly as I received it, aside from a good cleaning. I picked up a better tailgate band from board member doo142 as the one that was on it was in very tough shape.

As far as the rest of the truck, I have it down to the frame and hope to work on the motor and drivetrain this winter some. I may start a build thread at some point, but I am pretty slow with progress.

68Gold/white 12-15-2017 09:29 AM

Job well done!!!

I hope to make a couple of those for my front porch someday soon. Makes me think of all the cherry Chevy tailgates I've seen in salvage yards that I didn't buy......oh I forgot, I have plenty of "stuff" already..

FleetsidePaul 12-15-2017 11:26 AM

Very nice thing to do. And it looks great.