The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fabricated spare tire mount (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797928)

DennisP 12-10-2019 02:56 PM

Fabricated spare tire mount

2 Attachment(s)
So I recently did a makeover on my 68 C20. New bed wood came out nice but I didn't like the crappy old spare laying on my new bed. After extensive searching on this forum, I decided to fab my own version of a spare tire mount using some metal I had laying around.
I set it up to keep the tire just off the bed and side rails.

The nice thing about this is I can remove the round part if I need to haul anything large. I am going to paint the pipe. The Back brace is 316 SS. I may just leave it alone.

notsolo 12-10-2019 04:00 PM

Re: Fabricated spare tire mount

Leave it alone....looks great as is. I did something simular in the 4 corners for tie down straps..in addition to tire mount....Not nearly as nice as yours.....Bed wood looks great too.BTW.

DennisP 12-10-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 8640806)
Leave it alone....looks great as is. I did something simular in the 4 corners for tie down straps..in addition to tire mount....Not nearly as nice as yours.....Bed wood looks great too.BTW.

Thanks buddy. That eyebolt in the corner was where I looped my spare tire security cable. I'm now going to get a locking lug nut.( Not that anyone would want that pos. tire.)

DennisP 12-10-2019 04:32 PM

I just realized If you look in the background behind the tire, that's me standing there.

Astro-Balls 12-10-2019 04:59 PM

Did you use the factory holes for mounting this?
Looks great.

LockDoc 12-10-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisP (Post 8640825)
I just realized If you look in the background behind the tire, that's me standing there.

:lol:

LockDoc

yuccales 12-10-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisP (Post 8640825)

Nothing Mickey Mouse about your tire mount! Looks great!

Getter-Done 12-11-2019 12:20 AM

Great Job.
Nice Santa Hat you got on. LOL

DennisP 12-11-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Balls (Post 8640840)
Did you use the factory holes for mounting this?
Only other question is, How much, I want one.. Looks great.

Yes, the bottom bracket uses the factory mounting holes.
Sorry, My wife is already mad at me for spending way too much time in the shop. So I wont be making any for sale anytime soon.

cornerstone 12-11-2019 01:45 PM

Man that is a nice piece! I say leave it SS. I may have to "borrow" that idea.;)

How do you remove the center hub piece? Did you use nutzerts in the brace or thread the holes?

DennisP 12-11-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8641285)
Man that is a nice piece! I say leave it SS. I may have to "borrow" that idea.;)

How do you remove the center hub piece? Did you use nutzerts in the brace or thread the holes?

Center hub piece and upper mounting holes thru top rail are threaded into the ss brace with nuts welded to the inside.
Yea, I think i'll just polish the stainless and paint the hub part to keep it from rusting. Thanks for the compliment!
The brace is a piece of 1/8" thick X 5" ss formed channel that I've been saving for years for something.. I finally found out why!

DennisP 12-11-2019 03:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is another bonus to this mount! It also is a great storage place for a bottle jack or anything else you can imagine.
NowI need to come up with a trick way to secure it.

chc1955 12-11-2019 03:23 PM

Looks sweet!!!!!

Killer Bee 12-11-2019 03:40 PM

that is awesome!

you happen to be in nw oc by chance? might have to steal your idea if I could take a peep at it sometime..

I'd be happy to settle for the plans for a twelve pack :D

buddy of mine is a fab guru and a good neighbor friend is a fab-ulous also, used to work for jesse james ;)

DennisP 12-12-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8641333)
that is awesome!

you happen to be in nw oc by chance? might have to steal your idea if I could take a peep at it sometime..

I'd be happy to settle for the plans for a twelve pack :D

buddy of mine is a fab guru and a good neighbor friend is a fab-ulous also, used to work for jesse james ;)

PM sent Killer. Thanks for the compliment!

Rollo Grande 12-12-2019 10:37 PM

Dennis, that is an ingenious piece of work! Now you have to paint your spare wheel, lol.

But seriously, if you make a bolt-in clip to secure the jack, you can hide the whole shebang behind a hubcap.

Tape a $20 bill inside the cap, pad it with some clean rags, add a ziplock bag with a book of matches, pack of smokes, airline bottle of Jack Daniels and a Clif Bar and you've got a serious roadside emergency kit.....

notsolo 12-13-2019 10:53 AM

If you make a C clip, "attaches inside tube" that slides in between the plunger, could the jack twist and lock in place?

71gmcC15 12-13-2019 11:55 AM

I was thinkig for the jack you could just use a peace of ss strap across with two lugs bolting it down.

BigBird05 12-13-2019 01:14 PM

Best looking spare tire mount I have seen. I will be "stealing" your idea.

DennisP 12-13-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBird05 (Post 8642231)

Thank you very much! And thanks to all! This is how I like to fab things. Simple yet functional.

DennisP 12-13-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo Grande (Post 8642002)
Dennis, that is an ingenious piece of work! Now you have to paint your spare wheel, lol.

But seriously, if you make a bolt-in clip to secure the jack, you can hide the whole shebang behind a hubcap.

Tape a $20 bill inside the cap, pad it with some clean rags, add a ziplock bag with a book of matches, pack of smokes, airline bottle of Jack Daniels and a Clif Bar and you've got a serious roadside emergency kit.....

The possibility's are pretty much endless. I am thinking now though, since I already still have the original jack still strapped down behind the seat, I will probably machine a nice water-prof cap and make up a small tool bag and gloves and stuff it in there.

DennisP 12-13-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBird05 (Post 8642231)

Feel free! Looking forward to seeing it.

DennisP 12-17-2019 02:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally finished. Painted the ugly old rim, buffed out the stainless, and painted the mount.
Now I just have to get used to that big ol tire sticking out of my bed! I have mixed feelings about it.

Damm sideways pictures!

DennisP 12-17-2019 03:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple more. Painted the inside of rim hot rod flatz.

Ironhorse 12-17-2019 03:25 PM

Read thru your thread and I like what you did for a in-bed spare mount. Very ingenious out of the box thinking. Nice clean install and gives the truck a "period correct" look to the bed.

I have the in-bed factory tire mount I added to the same place in my 71 4x4. Was going to add an under bed spare to my truck until a friend with a newer square body truck told about his last flat on a muddy country road and dropping the spare from under the truck. Decided the factory mount behind the driver's side was something I could live with. Also freed up the needed room to move the gas tank under the bed behind the last cross member.