The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tail light fuel filler (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=222461)

srea76 01-04-2010 09:18 PM

Re: Tail light fuel filler

classic parts have leds for 30 each. are those trash?

HuggerCST 01-04-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Long (Post 3710689)
Nice work - very clean! At the moment, I'm contemplating the same type of filler mod. Torn between bed and taillight fill. I noticed what I thought was a tank vent hose in one of your pics under the bed. Where did you vent it? I looked at the marine filler and didn't see a vent. Also, did you run into any problems with the mechanical fuel pump after relocating the tank?

I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the marine filler and installed a 1/8" pipe elbow, then ran a 3/8" rubber hose from there to the top of the tank. I don't know if it was needed, because the tank is vented elsewhere, but I didn't want any problems filling. The only filling problem that I have had is when it gets full it burps out fuel if you have the nozzle wide open.
The fuel pump is working fine, but it has lost prime after it sits a couple of weeks without running. I have considered adding a helper pump, but haven't done it yet, because it's only happened a couple of times.

HuggerCST 02-06-2010 11:56 PM

I didn't want to take over DAVE67's thread, so I thought that I would bring this one back to the top to answer some questions that people had. The info & pics on the previous pages should answer most of them, and to answer the question about selling the design, if I thought that anyone would be interested, I would!:lol: I am making a pattern though, and will come up with something soon for those that are interested in one. (even if it's just a pattern) I'll post on the parts board when I get to that point.
I'll add a few pics to this thread soon too.

68custom396 02-07-2010 03:45 AM

that looks great! I like how the filler tube goes up to the top of the light. i did this to my 72 in 2000 for my senior metal trades test, i used a hidden spring loaded cabinet hinge that part worked good, but the filler tube was down at the bottom of the light so when it got full of gas it would usually run back out.

Dave67 02-07-2010 10:14 AM

LOL!!!
You can take over my thread anytime, HuggerCST. your thread is where my idea came from :gi:

67_ShortFleet 02-11-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3785114)
I didn't want to take over DAVE67's thread, so I thought that I would bring this one back to the top to answer some questions that people had. The info & pics on the previous pages should answer most of them, and to answer the question about selling the design, if I thought that anyone would be interested, I would!:lol: I am making a pattern though, and will come up with something soon for those that are interested in one. (even if it's just a pattern) I'll post on the parts board when I get to that point.

I got the visa ready.

srea76 02-11-2010 11:41 AM

I would like one of those guts also to weld in there so I can get mine ready:)

ChiefThinElk 02-11-2010 08:23 PM

Nice job HuggerCST, I like it, there wasn't very much room to work, huh?

danw210 03-29-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3785114)

I am interested in the pattern, plate or whatever you are coming up with. This mod is a must for me, looking to get started on it soon. Thanks HuggerCST!

red70 03-30-2010 10:31 AM

I would buy a template or actual piece or whatever today if you were selling this now.

yfs200p 03-30-2010 05:49 PM

That looks awesome, and so much cleaner than having a filler inside the bed. Nice work! Just a thought.... any chance of the tail light shorting out (possibly making a spark) and making the whole truck go kaboom?? I guess thats prob why you used the LED with wires tucked away...

RaceAGMC 03-30-2010 09:26 PM

Another one interested in buying a piece or template as well. This is def the route i want to go. Hugger...please keep us posted.

HuggerCST 03-30-2010 11:41 PM

Thanks guys, I'm working on it as I have time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by yfs200p (Post 3891334)
Just a thought.... any chance of the tail light shorting out (possibly making a spark) and making the whole truck go kaboom?? I guess thats prob why you used the LED with wires tucked away...

There's always a chance of that, but I think that it's actually safer than most side marker fillers because the cap is not vented, so no fumes there unless the cap is off, and no spark unless the lights are on. The LED lights help too, so I think you'd have to really screw up to cause a fire.

RaceAGMC 05-03-2010 05:45 PM

Is there any to get dimensions on this piece or some kind of sketch so i can make one?

Mrrilla 05-03-2010 06:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres mine, LED tailights and a spring loaded hinge. Works good but it can be a little slow when fueling. I also ran into one pump that had the big plastic cup on the nozzle and I couldn't get the nozzle in.

RaceAGMC 05-04-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrrilla (Post 3955518)
Heres mine, LED tailights and a spring loaded hinge. Works good but it can be a little slow when fueling. I also ran into one pump that had the big plastic cup on the nozzle and I couldn't get the nozzle in.

Do you think it would be better if the neck wasn't almost flat in the bucket, maybe that would make is easier to get the nozzle in there?

Still looking for any kind of drawing with dimensions on it so i can mock mine up and take it to a shop and have it fabbed up.

tim21391 05-04-2010 10:34 PM

i love it

FIREBALL 05-12-2010 02:03 AM

Ow man I luv this filler mod. So is there any chance of a templete or a how too on this? ....I luv the gas filler in the taillight idea...I'm not diggin the fume smell in the pickup (not to mention im not keen on the tank behind the seat anyhow ..lol) and I really didnt want to cut a hole in the bed floor either (not that most i've seen looked awesome)..... I'ts just not something I want to do i'd rather try this style mod plus reminds me of my grandfather's 56 as well.

The_BullDog 05-12-2010 04:07 AM

very nice bro!

RaceAGMC 08-14-2010 12:01 PM

Any updates on this? Template or design for the rest of us wanting to do this mod?

FRENCHBLUE72 08-14-2010 03:58 PM

I just cut out all my taillight guts so if ya got something ready to go I m ready if not I m thinkin I could build my own...

lowbuck72 10-19-2010 11:20 AM

looks good.. templates???

ralphie628 10-22-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowbuck72 (Post 4248684)
looks good.. templates???

x2

HuggerCST 10-22-2010 11:46 PM

I'm slow, but believe it or not, I am working on it when I can.

WIDESIDE72 10-24-2010 12:21 AM

Nice!