The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Spare Change (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=495541)

chvyboy 11-24-2011 09:37 PM

Spare Change

5 Attachment(s)
When I was 18 I decided I wanted to buy an old truck. Every penny I made I saved so I could buy a truck like this. I wanted something I that I could work on and learn from. I started researching these used truck so that way when I went to buy one I knew more then the average person. I looked at 3 trucks before I looked at the one I bought. I wasn't really interested in any of the trucks I saw, until I found this truck. My goal was to buy an old truck and build it on a small budget. This last truck had everything I was looking for, with lots of little projects. I instantly feel in love with this truck and sure enough I drove it home.
Since I purchased the truck Ive done a lot of work to clean it up. It actually had more work then I thought, and those little projects I thought I was going to encounter turned out to be bigger then i thought. I've gotten a lot of support from my family, girlfriend, and friends who all seemed to have put in a couple or so hours into the truck. I had originally named the truck the black dahlia, but never thought the name fit. So I renamed the truck spare change due to the fact that I'm building on a budget. I still have many more projects I'd like to do and with each one I complete I fall deeper into the truck. It almost seems like the projects are chained to many many more projects, and fabricating the truck to my liking has been a joy in the last year.

67c10rustbuket 11-25-2011 12:41 AM

Re: Spare Change

Sweet truck! must have had a lot of change to buy that. engine looks nice and clean!

gearys 5600 11-25-2011 01:46 AM

Looks like a nice stepper..Keep up the work and post more pics.

heeroyue2002 11-25-2011 04:04 AM

nice looken truck!

tasian 11-25-2011 07:43 PM

looks like a damn good start what are your long term plans for it?

chvyboy 11-26-2011 05:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I convinced myself to change the heater core because winter is coming (and partly because my girlfriend wants to be warm). I ended up taking the fender well off in order to make the job easier. With no surprise I soon found out that this job was going to be a little bit bigger then I thought. I found rust, it was bad too. I questioned myself how the it was still holding part of the fender up. Its day 3 on the the job and so far I fixed the heater core box with fiber glass, painted the heater core box, reinstall it with the new heater core, repainted the fender well, and cut out the rust and tomorrow will finish up the job:metal:

future plans include:
2.5 h-pipe
383 stroker
custom bed ( still deciding what type of design)
front disk brake conversion
new satin black paint job.

I dont want to set much more plans right now. these should keep me going for a long time:)

67c10rustbuket 11-27-2011 12:03 AM

I love heater cores, NOT! nice work on the repair of the heater box, I need to do a little glass work on mine someday too.

chvyboy 11-27-2011 03:36 AM

thank you. It was my first time working with fiber glass so i was very pleased with the way it turned out. tomorrow I'm fixing the rust.

chvyboy 12-07-2011 07:41 PM

Some work will be done in the next few days. I replacing the track arm bushing and painting the the track arm silver. Also a buddy of mine is redoing my exhaust to 2.5 inch pipes.

mcbassin 12-08-2011 01:41 PM

Looks like a great truck to start with. I'll follow along too. More pics......

chvyboy 12-08-2011 01:50 PM

once i get the truck back from the exhaust shop i will post before and after pictures:metal:

1970ChevyChamp 12-08-2011 02:18 PM

Very nice truck, keep posting updates and progress

chvyboy 12-10-2011 05:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The exhaust shop called me and told me that they wrong pipe was sent in so i took my truck back and decided to paint the track arm and change the bushing from rubber to the polyurethane bushings. heres some pictures of it...... Monday the exhaust will be changed from 2 inch to 2.5 inch

chvyboy 12-13-2011 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
heres a couple shots of the exhaust. i want to tank everyone that commented on one of threads about my exhaust, it helped me make up my mind.

tasian 12-28-2011 11:17 PM

exhaust looks good hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like you got mandrel bends? hows it sound?

mcbassin 12-28-2011 11:24 PM

Your exhaust looks great. How do you like the new sound?

chvyboy 12-29-2011 02:00 AM

the truck sounds great, im looking at a 383 strocker with a turbo 400 tranny right now, the guy says it has like 15000 miles on it and hes replacing it with a big block

jayman68 04-02-2012 12:04 AM

Good looking truck. Good job. Any updates lately?

chvyboy 04-03-2012 12:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay guys. I've done a lot of work on the back of the truck so far. I did my first wielding job on a truck!!! I also wanted to get rid of those ugly stock tail lights and converted them to smaller ones off an early model chevy truck. Also mounted them lower. I was tired of the side markers being yellow and red so i blacked them out and they only show what color they are at night when the lights are on.

Hammerforhire 04-04-2012 11:33 PM

Great job. I have a stepside project as well. My project name is " finally got my stepside". I'll keep watching for your build. Good luck,
Posted via Mobile Device