The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Painting inside cab and firewall (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751219)

Scott2 11-25-2017 02:18 PM

Painting inside cab and firewall

5 Attachment(s)
I am getting ready to paint the firewall and inside the cab on my 1951 3100. The truck was originally maroon but some dickhead apparently chemically stripped the truck so there are only little shreds of color here and there remaining. I picked a metallic burgundy PPG mixed as a single stage for the inside and firewall -- the rest of the truck will be cleaned of the worst rust and grunge and treated to a coat of Penetrol.

Questions: where do you break the paint, specifically around the hood mating line and door jambs (see pics)? I'm thinking about the paint being exposed through the gaps and would like to minimize that.

I'll back tape the edges to keep it a soft edge but I'm thinking I may want to set the paint edge back about 1/4" from the actual edge. Make sense? Any better way to do this?

I searched for pics but it seems like everyone takes pics of the engine bay or interior only. Also, I know I already primed to the edge but I can easily sand some of that off to pull the paint back further.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated! Pics would be great too.

Thanks!

Foot Stomper 11-26-2017 12:18 AM

Re: Painting inside cab and firewall

You break the paint where you can't see it with the doors or hood closed.

In over 20 years of supplying paint and bodyshop supplies, I have never heard of anyone using Penetrol... never even heard of it before your post... I looked it up and can honestly say I wouldn't use it. You are not going to use oil based paint are you which is what Penetro is designed for... or are you? What you should use is an epoxy primer, regardless of brand.

Epoxy primers lock in surface rust and will not allow rust to creep under it if there's ever any damage to it. Epoxy primer is along time, solid, proven primer for bare steel for which there are no substitutes.

Scott2 11-26-2017 12:47 AM

Foot - I may not have explained this right. For the firewall and inside the cab I sanded the surfaces and I am using standard epoxy primer followed by the PPG paint.

For all the rest of the exterior sheetmetal -- it's rusty and a full paint job isn't in the budget now. I am clearing much of the rust and dirt and grunge off using CLR or a similar product, cleaning and drying the surfaces, and then wiping on Penetrol to slow down further rust. No primer or paint at this time on these surfaces.

Make sense?

Foot Stomper 11-26-2017 12:56 AM

Scott, thanks for the clarification but I wouldn't get anywhere near it with that stuff. Period. You're better off to let it rust than use Penetrol, seriously! Your truck, your project. Epoxy primer is cheap, easy to use and does as advertised. Besides, there isn't an automotive paint manufacturer that would approve of your methodology.

I hope you reconsider.

Scott2 11-26-2017 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 8090254)
Scott, thanks for the clarification but I wouldn't get anywhere near it with that stuff. Period. You're better off to let it rust than use Penetrol, seriously! Your truck, your project. Epoxy primer is cheap, easy to use and does as advertised. Besides, there isn't an automotive paint manufacturer that would approve of your methodology.

I hope you reconsider.

Thanks for the comments! However, I think I'm missing something. If I'm using Penetrol on rusty metal with bare metal spots to slow down rust, and I am not planning to apply primer or paint to these same areas for at least several years, where am I going wrong? I've seen a number of builds on this site that have done the same and have not (maybe not yet) seen any negative reports.

If Penetrol is still a poor choice, whats the alternative to slow rust but otherwise leave the patina alone?

Thanks again!

Scott2 11-26-2017 12:48 PM

Here's a good example of a patina truck with Penetrol (thanks 74project):

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...s+vegas&page=2

Check out post #48 or click on 74projects profile.

Foot Stomper 11-27-2017 12:11 AM

I didn't realize your were leaving it patina...put whatever you want on it.

Scott2 12-02-2017 02:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As always, I really appreciate all the inputs and wisdom from the members here as there is a wealth of info and experience that helps me tremendously - thanks all!

I wanted to share the results of my painting efforts and you can see where I chose to set the tape lines. I think this will work great for now. It will be more work if I decide to paint the exterior later but I’ll deal with that when I get there.

mongocanfly 12-02-2017 06:14 PM

looks good..I like that color...

gearheadperkins 12-07-2017 03:29 PM

man that looks good..

Scott2 12-08-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheadperkins (Post 8098981)
man that looks good..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8095269)
looks good..I like that color...

Thanks guys - I do appreciate it!

Larry S 08-27-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8095144)
As always, I really appreciate all the inputs and wisdom from the members here as there is a wealth of info and experience that helps me tremendously - thanks all!

I wanted to share the results of my painting efforts and you can see where I chose to set the tape lines. I think this will work great for now. It will be more work if I decide to paint the exterior later but I’ll deal with that when I get there.

Looks good. Is it painted under the dynamat?
Posted via Mobile Device

Scott2 08-27-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry S (Post 8798739)
Looks good. Is it painted under the dynamat?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. I replaced the floors, seam sealed, primed and painted them black, then applied both kinds of LizardSkin, then Dynamat. Now I have a roll of automotive carpet to put down in a spare moment.