The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help need to Drain saddle tanks on dually (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=576850)

NewType72 04-22-2013 02:51 PM

Help need to Drain saddle tanks on dually

I have a 78 lowered crew cab dually and I need to drain the saddle tanks in it as well as the fuel lines what's the easier way to go about this as I don't want to plug up my rebuilt carb and new fuel pump. All advice and techniques welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

meter swinger 04-22-2013 03:47 PM

Re: Help need to Drain saddle tanks on dually

I've done it on a different vehicle by using an electric fuel pump i picked up from the parts store. Hooked it up somewhere before the pump and filter on the vehicle, ran a tube from the pump to a drum. I ran the electric fuel pump off a car battery. Wrapped the electrical connections good and kept the battery a safe distance from the fuel/fumes.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 04-22-2013 03:54 PM

I've heard of that one too you have an idea of what the pump cost you? I'm sure mine has a lot of crud in the bottom if the tanks so I'm not sure if I should try and drop them at this point.. Which would be a pain but It could be done.
Posted via Mobile Device

rs74 04-22-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meter swinger (Post 6027692)
I've done it on a different vehicle by using an electric fuel pump i picked up from the parts store. Hooked it up somewhere before the pump and filter on the vehicle, ran a tube from the pump to a drum. I ran the electric fuel pump off a car battery. Wrapped the electrical connections good and kept the battery a safe distance from the fuel/fumes.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is probably a good idea with the elec. pump. I would just take off the fill hose at the tank and stick in the hose from the elec. pump there. That way you dont have to mess with any other fuel lines. Also if you do it there then you dont have to worry about getting any garbage in your lines.

meter swinger 04-22-2013 04:06 PM

I think the pump was 15$ or so. I have done it by snaking a tube inside the tank too, its kind of hard to determine if your at the bottom of the tank though. I suppose a coat hanger tied to the tube could be of some help.
If your worried about crud you better just bite the bullet and clean them while your at it. Espescially with the new carb.
Posted via Mobile Device

rs74 04-22-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meter swinger (Post 6027720)
I think the pump was 15$ or so. I have done it by snaking a tube inside the tank too, its kind of hard to determine if your at the bottom of the tank though. I suppose a coat hanger tied to the tube could be of some help.
If your worried about crud you better just bite the bullet and clean them while your at it. Espescially with the new carb.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. You might just want to drop the tanks and flush them out real good.

NewType72 04-22-2013 04:53 PM

Alright so get the gas out first with a pump then drop the tanks what can I do to flush them obviously water make the rusting worst and I'm familiar with coatings that you can swish in your tank but getting the crud out is priority
Posted via Mobile Device

meter swinger 04-22-2013 05:14 PM

Most common method is about gallon of acetone and a foot or so of medium sized chain. The chain helps knock the scale off. Tie something to the chain so its easier to remove from the tank. Seal off the openings and start sloshing.:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 04-22-2013 05:18 PM

Whew buddy that'll e a big tank to slosh
Posted via Mobile Device

mtnsackett 04-22-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs74 (Post 6027708)
That is probably a good idea with the elec. pump. I would just take off the fill hose at the tank and stick in the hose from the elec. pump there. That way you dont have to mess with any other fuel lines. Also if you do it there then you dont have to worry about getting any garbage in your lines.

I use this method all the time when I need to drain a tank, I use a fuel pump that I took out of a buick that I parted out and hooked 30 feet of fuel line to it as well as fused wires with an on and off switch and an old battery, then clip the the end of the hose in a plastic 55 gallon drum that I cleaned out, then when done I can reverse the process. It works slick every time and on the plus side there is no funny after taste.

NewType72 04-22-2013 06:38 PM

I wont have too much fuel in it hopefully any suggestions on a brand of electric fuel pump?
Posted via Mobile Device

mtnsackett 04-22-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewType72 (Post 6027990)
I wont have too much fuel in it hopefully any suggestions on a brand of electric fuel pump?
Posted via Mobile Device

Anything out of a junk yard would work as you will probably not use it very often or something like this Mr. Gasket Fuel Pump Part Number: 12S from O'reilly auto would work it is under $50

NewType72 04-22-2013 07:20 PM

Perfect ill look into a couple places tonight and hopefully have empty tanks by this evening thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

rs74 04-22-2013 07:29 PM

What are you trying to get out of the old tank. Old varnished fuel, crud in the tank?

rs74 04-22-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnsackett (Post 6027958)
I use this method all the time when I need to drain a tank, I use a fuel pump that I took out of a buick that I parted out and hooked 30 feet of fuel line to it as well as fused wires with an on and off switch and an old battery, then clip the the end of the hose in a plastic 55 gallon drum that I cleaned out, then when done I can reverse the process. It works slick every time and on the plus side there is no funny after taste.

:lol: That is a plus when you don't have to worry about that funny after taste.

NewType72 04-22-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs74 (Post 6028094)
What are you trying to get out of the old tank. Old varnished fuel, crud in the tank?

Both well the fuel is probably still good but I'm sure it has rust
Posted via Mobile Device