The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

kjones72 08-07-2015 11:36 PM

A buddy told me about your build. I've just finished my p pump 24v swap. But I'm having trouble with the engine had a couple questions if ya don't mind
Posted via Mobile Device

rgreathouse 08-11-2015 05:44 PM

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

How are you liking the Dakota digital gauges? Do you have a boost and pyro? I've been looking into the cHx gauges with the bim modules but not sure where the additional readings are displayed?

ryanroo 08-11-2015 07:16 PM

The factory tach position has a digital readout that you can toggle through the extra outputs. Ryan also got an auxiliary display so he can see more than one.

Dieselwrencher 08-11-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjones72 (Post 7267117)
A buddy told me about your build. I've just finished my p pump 24v swap. But I'm having trouble with the engine had a couple questions if ya don't mind
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure, no problem. Ask away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgreathouse (Post 7270580)
How are you liking the Dakota digital gauges? Do you have a boost and pyro? I've been looking into the cHx gauges with the bim modules but not sure where the additional readings are displayed?

Like Ryan said, they are dis[layed where the original tach used to be. I did get another display too. I'm not sure where I will mount it. I haven't driven the truck a lot, but I do like these gauges. I have to finish mounting my BIM modules and hooking them all up.

Dieselwrencher 08-11-2015 07:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Longhorn got a room mate too. Ryan, here are a couple other pics of the back bumper that you asked for a while back.

Dieselwrencher 08-20-2015 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been working on diagnosing the trans before I pull it out for repairs. The only weird thing is the front servo seems to have no pressure in reverse. All other pressures are fine. Out it comes.

I've been working on getting the corvette ready to go to the track next Friday night. My youngest brother is getting married on the 29th so the 28th for his bachelor's party he gets to take the car and make some passes. I just put taller front tires on it to gain some clearance. If you like Diesel World magazine, the car wil be in October or November's issue.

6BT 56 08-21-2015 11:47 PM

Hey that's cool. Not too many people that can say they got there diesel powered vette featured in a magazine . Lol. Congratulations !

Dieselwrencher 08-25-2015 08:41 PM

Thanks!

mcbassin 08-26-2015 08:22 AM

Nice corvette! we need more pictures of that puppy. Do you have thread in the alternate tinkering area?

Dieselwrencher 08-26-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7288212)
Nice corvette! we need more pictures of that puppy. Do you have thread in the alternate tinkering area?

I can't remember if I do or not. I'll have to check.

kjones72 08-27-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7270691)
Sure, no problem. Ask away.

Like Ryan said, they are dis[layed where the original tach used to be. I did get another display too. I'm not sure where I will mount it. I haven't driven the truck a lot, but I do like these gauges. I have to finish mounting my BIM modules and hooking them all up.

I put a p pump on my 24 valve. And I'm not getting fuel that I should be getting out( no black smoke.) I have a airdog165 with 1/2" line from the tank straight into the inj. Pump have done all of the AFC mods. Still nothing. I was told it needs more timing and 4k gov.springs. it's at 18.5°advanced now. Since it has been advanced it seems a little better. But not what it should be. Tinkering with the AFC. I started it up with it off just for the hell of it. It's got coal for days.. Put it back on and back to crap. I don't want to roll coal alot. But I know if there's no smoke I'm not getting enough fuel and can't make power without it. Any ideas? Oh also stock injectors and turbo hx not the hy
Posted via Mobile Device

burnin oil 08-28-2015 09:56 AM

Kjones, what what the pump off of? There are mods that can be made to the AFC to alow more travel out of it along with modding the diaphragm. My guess is that your fuel plate is pulled back and limiting full fuel or the AFC is to far back and not letting it fuel enough. The AFC housing is the only emissions equipment I ever liked. Set it up for a ton of fuel then dial it back till boost rises. Another thought is to ensure that you don't have a leak in the AFCs boost reference line or a faulty overflow valve (pressure valve in the return line). My 175hp pump and stock injectors would black out a lane of traffic when it had a stock turbo. 500HP has been hit with pump mods and a HX35 even though it was hot and smokey. You may want to reduce the timing a little. I ran 18-19* but always had head gasket issues even with studs and orings. 17* seemed pretty safe and spooled up a little better but power also dropped off earlier.

kjones72 08-28-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnin oil (Post 7290382)
Kjones, what what the pump off of? There are mods that can be made to the AFC to alow more travel out of it along with modding the diaphragm. My guess is that your fuel plate is pulled back and limiting full fuel or the AFC is to far back and not letting it fuel enough. The AFC housing is the only emissions equipment I ever liked. Set it up for a ton of fuel then dial it back till boost rises. Another thought is to ensure that you don't have a leak in the AFCs boost reference line or a faulty overflow valve (pressure valve in the return line). My 175hp pump and stock injectors would black out a lane of traffic when it had a stock turbo. 500HP has been hit with pump mods and a HX35 even though it was hot and smokey. You may want to reduce the timing a little. I ran 18-19* but always had head gasket issues even with studs and orings. 17* seemed pretty safe and spooled up a little better but power also dropped off earlier.

I forgot to add that. New reference line. And I took the fuel plate out to see if it would help. It's a new rebuilt unit that is suppose to replace the 175hp that I had which had sticking issues. I've done all the mods that I know of to the AFC. Including the diaphragm. Starting to wonder if the rebuilt pump could be the issue, as the shop has a 50/50 satisfactory with the community
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 10-20-2015 08:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Kjones72, your timing sounds low to me for a P-pump 24v. Mine is set at 25*. I wouldn't go much lower than 23* personally. Sorry for the late response. I didn't see the new posts.

It may be too late to buy the mag off the stands now. The Vette was in Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide October/November issue, instead of Diesel World. I had a hard time finding a copy a few weeks ago. It seems they were still on the racks last weekend though.

As far as the Longhorn, the trans should be done at the trans shop this week. Hopefully in the next two weeks I can get it put back together. The engine has developed an oil leak. I need to fix that before I put the trans back in. I haven't had time to mess with it with work and helping a friend with harvest.

COS399 10-20-2015 09:08 PM

Good job on getting in a magazine.

Dieselwrencher 10-27-2015 06:20 PM

Today I picked the trans up from the trans shop. It should be fixed now. The engine has developed an oil leak. I need to remove the engine adapter and see where it is coming from. once that is fixed, then I can get back to installing the trans. Ten I need to finish a lot of things I haven't gotten too, to make it a daily driver. Like, mount the air compressor, tank, and leveling valve. Install and wire the compu shift mini, wire the heater circuit, wire in the cab lights, cargo and third brake lights, and check the operation of the wipers. I need to re-visit the LMC heated washer reservoir as I think that may be a nice addition too.

Chevy_mud_truck 10-28-2015 08:13 PM

I've read over both of your builds man you got all of work into your builds Ive been gathering parts and a lot of information and ideas from reading your two builds to help when I finally start actually building mine thanks for sharing all your hard work definitely show stopping attention getters

mx289 10-31-2015 08:23 PM

Congrats on the magazine feature of the Vette.Very nice.

And good to hear your back on this again.

Dieselwrencher 11-02-2015 07:56 PM

Thanks guys!

Dieselwrencher 04-05-2016 03:43 PM

Same old stuff here. The truck has sat on the jack stands all winter out of the snow, ice, hail, rain, and even a tornado. Haha I've been acquiring more parts for it, and working on it when time allows. I managed to get my right and left seat belts in. A friend came over and worked on fitting the stereo to the billet radio mounting plate. He also hooked up the front speaker wires and mounted the speaker brackets I got from Bigblock73. I removed the brackets and painted them, then ran the speaker wires and reinstalled them. I also ran new wires to my cargo light and 3rd brake lights. Now I have to get a new cargo light switch to finish that. I also got my sill plates installed. Whoops, I almost forgot. I also installed my new precision push on door seals. I had to work them around pretty good with the rubber mallet to get them to fit end to end. Now the doors really shut hard but maybe they'll seal awesome. I also got the rear main replaced, and am picking up the expansion plug tonight that was my oil leak. I sent my torque converter in to get turned back into a diesel converter too. So when its back, I can get the trans put back in it. I'll try to add pictures later.

Dieselwrencher 04-06-2016 11:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I forgot that I also ordered a 19gal Boyd aluminum tank. I had to have them change the mounting brackets, and it has a 1/2" feed instead of a 3/8". Now I have to decide on a side marker filler, tail light bed filler, or a bed floor filler.

Dieselwrencher 04-06-2016 11:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of the new door weather stripping, sill plates installed with SS hardware, speakers, and seat belts. I also finally got my oil pan, rear main, and cam expansion plug all done. I also got a catch can for it. I think I'm going to mount it in the LH inner fender well. Now, once the torque converter comes back, I can put the trans and transfer case back in.

COS399 04-07-2016 02:22 AM

Looking Good! :metal: :metal:

1972K20 04-07-2016 09:13 AM

Looks good! I guess I overlooked it, but what did the seat and seat belts come out of? Also, are the belts mounted in the factory hole in the b pillar?

brimc 04-07-2016 09:45 AM

All looks very good!
I like the idea of side marker fill if you are wanting it hidden.