The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

mcbassin 05-26-2016 07:45 AM

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

Looking good with the 35s on there Ryan! I bet you can't wait to get this puppy back on the road...

Dieselwrencher 05-26-2016 09:59 PM

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I'm trying. :lol: I got the trans back in but I tore the front end apart to do the king pins and u joints. The king pins really didn't need anything other than new seals. But, I will know they are good for a good while longer now. I just need to find a good amount of time to stay working on it. Haha

kehstr 06-01-2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7604877)
Thanks. I really like Ford trucks. Especially 84 up. A 97 CC LWB and a 05 cc lwb are my favorites.

you realize that you are making ford comments on a chevy site...

ryanroo 06-02-2016 02:09 PM

I like em too. Particularly dent sides and obs(80-97). I've owned a few obs Fords. I'll buy another before it's said and done.

Dieselwrencher 06-02-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kehstr (Post 7612466)
you realize that you are making ford comments on a chevy site...

Yes sir. General Motors quit building trucks after 1991 IMO. :smoke: :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 7612967)
I like em too. Particularly dent sides and obs(80-97). I've owned a few obs Fords. I'll buy another before it's said and done.

Same here. :metal:

ryanroo 06-02-2016 11:24 PM

I can't agree with that.... If I had to pick one favorite 67-72 excluded, it is gmt400. Despite all the rotten press ifs got in the beginning, I've never had durability issues and loved all of my ifs trucks. And they look sweet.

kehstr 06-03-2016 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7613067)
Yes sir. General Motors quit building trucks after 1991 IMO.

what did they do to make you think that?

burnin oil 06-03-2016 07:31 AM

They feel cheap and went further away from being a truck and closer to being a grocery getter. I don't mind a few options on a truck but its a truck. My 08 Dodge has a rubber floor mat in it. I am also not a big fan of LS motors in a truck for working but they do make good hot rods. The front ends also don't take well to the abuse of a juiced diesel. Look at all the broken fronts in the sled pulling world. Last gripe would be way to many electronics and computers to do something simple.

Dieselwrencher 06-03-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kehstr (Post 7613464)
what did they do to make you think that?

The 88-99 old body, I've worked on way too many that had too many early failures. IMO the bodies were built really crappy. I was not a fan of the IFS front suspension. The new body style 99 up are better aesthetically looking, but I just never really cared much for them. The frames are stronger than the previous but again the IFS ruins it for me. Don't get me wrong, they are good trucks, I just would rather have a super duty, or an OBS ford before a 99 up Chevy. I got bitten by the ford bug in the late 90's and haven't really went back until I had a dodge for a while. Now I just build what I want but that takes years. Hence why this truck is still apart.

Dieselwrencher 06-03-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 7613413)
I can't agree with that.... If I had to pick one favorite 67-72 excluded, it is gmt400. Despite all the rotten press ifs got in the beginning, I've never had durability issues and loved all of my ifs trucks. And they look sweet.

Around here they were rotting out before they were 4yrs old. My hatred for them more than likely came from working on them a lot. That's all we did for 2 summers were front end bushings, ball joints, CV shafts, leaf springs, cab corners, rockers, bed sides, front fenders, floors, and doors and door hinges. The Kodiaks were the worst for that. I've never owned one so I could be biased. :uhmk:

1972K20 06-03-2016 11:41 PM

IFS isn't my first pick, but it ins't horrible. 1500-2500 series trucks are fine with IFS IMO. I do wish that the 3500s or at least the 3500 duallys that GM builds had solid front axles.

Dieselwrencher 06-08-2016 07:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'll try to get this back on track. It sort of turned into a brand debate. :mm:

I have been working on getting stuff scratched off the list but the truck just doesn't want to cooperate. I got the trans and converter back in the truck. I need to modify my shift linkage lever, and get the tcase back on it. I decided to finally check my king pins in this front axle since I never did yet. Turns out they were fine but I'm installing new bearings, seals, springs and wear cups anyway. The axle u-joints were shot so I replaced them. I also replaced the wheel mounting studs because dodge ones are 1/2" and GM ones are 9/16". The knurl size is the same between both so I was able to use GM ones. I took the lock outs apart, cleaned and regreased them. I painted the knobs a blue because stock 4wd's had blue knobs. I may get a lighter blue and try that. These are a bit dark. I did get the radio wired and tested. I installed the new center speaker and that was a crap deal. My big head aches are from the turn signals. They are being a pita. Hopefully I can get that sorted out. I'm adding body grounds and I think I'll replace the turn signal switch and see if they want to work then. The wipers work though, that's a plus! Haha

COS399 06-08-2016 09:17 PM

Looking good Ryan. We all have those days where things don't go as easy as planned or as easy as they should. :metal: :metal:

lower50's 06-08-2016 09:34 PM

Wow Diesel sorry it took me so long to read your build. Well it did take me a long time to read all 90 pages. I can't believe how many times your truck was together and came apart and then changed and then together again. You have done some amazing work on the old girl.

Dieselwrencher 06-09-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7619263)
Wow Diesel sorry it took me so long to read your build. Well it did take me a long time to read all 90 pages. I can't believe how many times your truck was together and came apart and then changed and then together again. You have done some amazing work on the old girl.

Thanks. Yeah, 90 pages and it still is a big project. I'm trying to leave it alone and not add more than what I have planned right now. :uhmk:

Dieselwrencher 06-22-2016 02:53 PM

I got the LH side of the D60 put back together and installed a 1.5" spacer to get the front tire to match the rear. It is very close now. I also got the trans and tcase back in. I took it around the block the other day and the trans works! Eureka! :lol: I still have to install the compushift mini to operate LO and OD. So now to do the RH king pin, some brake line work, more gauge adding, install my air tank and compressor, and I think I can start driving it. I'll still have a lot left to do but at least it will be usable. Brake lights and turn signals work. I need to wire up the third brake lamp and cargo lamp. The list seems to go on and on. Haha

1985-GMC 06-23-2016 12:36 PM

Sounds like it's all down hill from here!

lower50's 06-24-2016 12:26 AM

About your locking hubs, last weekend I heard how to explain what kind of 4x4 you have compared to the new push button trucks. It's called........"Dirty knee 4 wheel drive" Think about it.

Dieselwrencher 06-25-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7633892)
About your locking hubs, last weekend I heard how to explain what kind of 4x4 you have compared to the new push button trucks. It's called........"Dirty knee 4 wheel drive" Think about it.

I can relate to that. Haha But, I'd rather be able to lock them in than rely on the old auto locking junkers.

6BT 56 06-25-2016 06:20 PM

I do have to admit tho my 85 k20 beater has the original auto lockers. I know its inevitable that some day they will fail to lock up and it will deffinately be when I need them the most but man they kick butt when you don't want to get out into the cold Wet snowy outdoors . If I ever have to swich em out for some real hubs I will hire a hobo to travel with me during the winter to lock and unlock my hubs . Lol...hoppy the hub hobo I think I will call him . He will get paid with Tim hortons .

How many people to the south just went Tim who ???? Canadians eh. Lol....

lower50's 06-27-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7635230)
I can relate to that. Haha But, I'd rather be able to lock them in than rely on the old auto locking junkers.

Oh yes manual hubs rule. I have International hubs on my Jeep they have auto or manual lock, kinda cool option.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6BT 56 (Post 7635271)
I do have to admit tho my 85 k20 beater has the original auto lockers. I know its inevitable that some day they will fail to lock up and it will deffinately be when I need them the most but man they kick butt when you don't want to get out into the cold Wet snowy outdoors . If I ever have to swich em out for some real hubs I will hire a hobo to travel with me during the winter to lock and unlock my hubs . Lol...hoppy the hub hobo I think I will call him . He will get paid with Tim hortons .

How many people to the south just went Tim who ???? Canadians eh. Lol....

Well you could use a hobo, but what about the trunk monkey? Have you seen those videos? Very funny.

Dieselwrencher 06-27-2016 08:50 PM

The trunk monkey is a hit man! :lol: People would lose their minds if that happened around here. It would be awesome! Haha

6BT 56 06-27-2016 10:48 PM

Trunk monkey eh ? Guess where I headed rite now ......

ERASER5 06-28-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7637240)
The trunk monkey is a hit man! :lol: People would GO APE if that happened around here. It would be awesome! Haha

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Dieselwrencher 07-05-2016 11:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After my test drive and moving the truck around, I noticed the front suspension articulated odd. It also leaned to the left a little. These springs came out from under my brother's old truck and were used when I installed them in it. So I decided to order a new pair of Skyjacker 4" springs. It's a good thing I decided to do this. I forgot that when I originally installed the springs in this truck, the RH spring rear bolt was seized in the bushing. Oops. Haha I replaced the front springs, u bolts, u joints, and king pins. Do you think this front axle came from a farm truck? Round bale twine eh? The RH caliper was wet so I replaced it and the pads. (This caliper was new about 6 years ago) Once I got it all back together, I went to bleed the brakes and of course the LH steel line to the caliper hose was leaking. I had to make a new line and that took care of my brake issues. I also cut off the old dodge shock mounts and welded some new mounts on to accept a shock at the proper positioning for a chevy. I ordered my shocks last Monday, paid extra to have them shipped 2 day, and I still don't have them.