The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   why do so many like 6 cly over v8 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=424084)

tratman2000 10-02-2010 08:32 AM

why do so many like 6 cly over v8

:chevy:just wanna hear some of your thoughts on the i6 im more of the hot rod type and wanna put all the power under the hood i can but i see a lot of people that dont like 6 cyl coming out and v8 droped in other than being original why would you wanna keep the 6 mpgs cant be much better and the power just isnt there plus no v8 sound.:devil:

sjarrett71 10-02-2010 08:53 AM

Re: why do so many like 6 cly over v8

Quote:

Originally Posted by tratman2000 (Post 4220664)
:chevy:just wanna hear some of your thoughts on the i6 im more of the hot rod type and wanna put all the power under the hood i can but i see a lot of people that dont like 6 cyl coming out and v8 droped in other than being original why would you wanna keep the 6 mpgs cant be much better and the power just isnt there plus no v8 sound.:devil:

Those could be two of the main reasons. I just think the I6 and 3 on the tree are cool.

pat 70/71 10-02-2010 09:06 AM

I have them both 2/ v8s 1/six silly Imo, people like the six because its not a v8. its even more simple to play with and great fun to drive. mine has three on the tree and I love the fact that it can be driven anywhere we need to go. and the sound as bad as some say it is is music to my ears. cheers, Pat

crites_72 10-02-2010 09:11 AM

i have both a v8 and an 6cyl. i dont mind my 6cyl at all. the only thing i dont like about it is having to wait for parts. like i needed a water pump not to long ago, took 3 days to get it when the v8 stuff is always in stock. thats why its not great for a daily driver in my opinion. mines soon to be a fuel injected 350 hopefully

big_al_71 10-02-2010 11:01 AM

It is a matter of taste and opinions....

Dan in Pasadena 10-02-2010 11:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Does THIS answer your question?

R.L. 10-02-2010 11:25 AM

I love my 6, it'l probally out last me.

ETsC10 10-02-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 4220773)
Does THIS answer your question?

:metal:Holy Cow Dan!!! That is Stunning! :metal:

cam.man67 10-02-2010 11:46 AM

The 292 is a great little motor, in my opinion. Tons of torque at practically no rpms, there's a reason UPS used them in their fleet vehicle for years. V8s are nice and all, but everyone has one, it's nice to have a unique motor. I agree they're not drastically more economical, but that's what the 250's for. ;)

The next truck I get, if not a 4x4, will hopefully be a 6-banger.

Shaky 10-02-2010 12:14 PM

I like both. I like stock sixes for their simplicity, cost, and reliability. They make adequate power and good low-end torque. They've taken me all over hell's half-acre and never let me down. As easy as a small-block is to work on, I find a straight six even easier.

I hot-rodded one 250. It made good power, but for the price I could have made more with a V8.

My formula now is keep the sixes fairly stock for cheap, good cruising and use V8s for power...

yote1234 10-02-2010 01:25 PM

one word maby? simplicity !

71swb4x4 10-02-2010 01:31 PM

I love my 292. Tons of power down low. I could drop a 350 in my 67, but it is not necessary.

People can do whatever they want. My opinion is why mess with something that works??? When I was younger I would do things just because I could, man I wasted a lot of money and time on things that didn't give me much of a different end result. If it's a daily driver, leave the 6 in. If it's a weekend driver, or custom show vehicle, then put whatever in there that gets you to your end goal.

When I am at a show I love looking at those dressed up 6's. I have seen thousands of dressed up V8's, but only a handful of 6's.

bbowser 10-02-2010 02:18 PM

I agree with the 6 folks. There's nothing like an I6 and 3 on the tree to keep you engaged in the driving experience. To me, a V8/auto is like driving your living room, where's the fun in that?

Ronnny 10-02-2010 03:48 PM

It is all what you like or just want. if it were a motorcycle you would be asking about a parrell or a v in the twins. I like the fact that i get torque right off at no rpms. I love a manual tranny and in my 2wd trucks unless i would want to pull a trailer regular i do not need a 4 speed with a granny gear. the trouble and dollars to swap out a 3 speed for a 4 speed is not worth it to me. I had a v8 3 on the tree 4x4 that did anything i asked it to do. And you could have a 3rd passenger or 4th without the shifter in the way. The six and three combo is lighter and if you do not kill it does get a god 5 or more mpg. In a 4x4 I have also found that i like a step side truck. Can step right out of the cab and into the back without getting your feet muddy. It is all in what you like or want.

Shyguy 10-02-2010 04:50 PM

I have two trucks, a '71 with a 454 and a '67 with a L6 250. They are both unique compared to a 350.

Both have the granny 4 speeds.

I like both of them, but for different reasons. The L6 250 is just a cruiser and the 454 is a tire smoker. It depends how I feel which one I drive.

If I could only have one it would be '67 swb stepper with the 250.

I am getting up in years and I no longer feel a need for speed. I will leave that to the younger people.

raycow 10-02-2010 08:39 PM

Add another vote for the 6. There are certain times and places where a 6 just feels right. It's kind of hard to explain, but you will know it when you see it.

Ray

Erik V 10-02-2010 09:20 PM

I had a 72 2wd half ton on the tail end of college. 250/3 on the tree. Manual steering, manual brakes, factory no stereo truck "dark yellow" (school buses are about the same color). It had been rebuilt just before I bought the truck, but the first 3 cyls had no compression. We pulled the head and when I caught the pistons as my dad tapped them up outta the block the rings all fell apart in my hand. We mic'ed them, and they were waaay thin. The back 3 checked out fine, so somewhere somebody else must have gotten the other half of this rebuild. New rings back in, put it all back together, and it ran great-well as great as a 250/3 can. It averaged 13mpg no matter how it was driven or loaded. I hated the lack of PS/PB, and the linkage was shot making shifting an art form. I built the 305 out of my mom's old 78 Impala using stock pistons/rods/crank/block just all cleaned up, tossed on an Edelbrock intake and Carter 625 carb, mated the engine to a th350, and using all the crossmember type stuff from a parts truck, everything went right in. Installed some headers, soon figured out the factory 4.11 rearend was too low geared for the slushomatic, swapped out for a 3.07 rearend from the parts truck, and then it ran great again. Still only got 13mpg but it sounded great, had the power options I wanted, and was way more powerful. Made me wish I had gone with a bigger small block, but the 305 is what I had. ...why oh why did I listen to the girlfriend at the time. :(

Despite the coil rear, I really miss this old truck:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../ErixTruck.jpg

Erik

PanelDeland 10-02-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbowser (Post 4220924)
I agree with the 6 folks. There's nothing like an I6 and 3 on the tree to keep you engaged in the driving experience. To me, a V8/auto is like driving your living room, where's the fun in that?

Also I've seen a belly button.350's in these trucks are nearly as common.I'm a fan of the 350 for a V8 due to the availability,interchangeability,price for parts and ease of servicing.But there's just something about a 6 that screams truck.Maybe that's why I like the steppers better than a fleet.

Dan in Pasadena 10-02-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETsC10 (Post 4220809)
:metal:[B]Holy Cow Dan!!! That is Stunning!

I should have said in posting those pictures that engine is NOT mine! It was in a '68 short fleetside owned by member "n2billet". Someone already dropped me a PM because of those pictures. I did not mean to mislead anyone into thinking it was mine...I wish it were. It's awesome. All I remember from his description was he degreased, rinsed, degreased, rinsed, etc to get it super clean then ground the intake smooth and painted it body color along with the distributor cap. I have never been able to fin that master cylinder cover..and I have searched. Anyway, enjoy everyone. One day I WILL have a straight six and I'll keep it and make it a clone of that one.

Hubscrub 10-02-2010 10:37 PM

(as the picture above shows) the inline 6 i think is the most beautiful engine i have ever seen you can't make a V-8 that sharp. and everybody has one, its good to be different i have a v8 in my truck now but i do regret pulling out that 250 ALOT of the time i will always STOP and look at an inline no matter how dirty or how pretty but i will walk past most v-8s because i have seen it a thousand times

Erik V 10-03-2010 02:08 AM

I will always give an i6 a glance because of my yellow truck experience. But if its stock looking without some curb appeal, I move along-the 250 was a horrible engine for the 3 on the tree open diff 4.11 one wheeler peeler my truck once was.

Now the aftermarket intakes/valve covers/headers, sure can make me wish I still had the 250 and the truck (come to think of it, I think the 250 is still tarped up in Dad's barn).

Erik

19673ontree 10-03-2010 09:50 AM

for me it's the NOSTALGIA FEEL ! of the six cylinder 3 on the tree combo , I learned to drive on Dads 1969 short stepside with that same combo , it's just COOL !

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1200339058

n2billet 10-03-2010 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 4221422)
I should have said in posting those pictures that engine is NOT mine! It was in a '68 short fleetside owned by member "n2billet". Someone already dropped me a PM because of those pictures. I did not mean to mislead anyone into thinking it was mine...I wish it were. It's awesome. All I remember from his description was he degreased, rinsed, degreased, rinsed, etc to get it super clean then ground the intake smooth and painted it body color along with the distributor cap. I have never been able to fin that master cylinder cover..and I have searched. Anyway, enjoy everyone. One day I WILL have a straight six and I'll keep it and make it a clone of that one.

They stop making the master cylinder a few years back but I think Scotts Hot Rod bought all of the remaining stock so you might check with him. I have all the info on that motor if you ever need it.....anyway, here's my "new" 6 banger in my son's 71 step side. I have a V8 in my other truck but the 6 cylinders always seem to get the "dare to be different" crowd.

292farmer 10-03-2010 11:59 AM

their awesome thats why!!
ive got some vids of a 292 with open headers and dual cherry bombs make a unique sound, that usually gets it more attention then a v8 exh. because no one could figure out what the motor was.
yeah they can be more expensive to hop up, but if your patient u can find used perf. parts cheap, ive got shorty headers on mine and i found 2 1bbl carbs that were used on a dual carb set up that im installing this winter. does it make as much hp as a v8? nope,.. but ive won every tow/tug a war contest so far(even beat a 4x4 92 cummins!), these motors make torque loooow!!
but it all depends what are u looking for?

brad_man_72 10-03-2010 12:42 PM

kyull had a 67 w a 300hp+ 250 cool little truck even won the burnout contest last year at the all truck nationals in kc!

i dont think i could live without the sound of a v-8. as far as looks its hard to beat any engine covred in finned aluminum and vintage speed equipment.

the ls is a good mix of v8 sound, power, mielage, and different.