The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Polar Bear Suburban (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=492583)

DirtyLarry 12-04-2020 09:17 PM

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Looks good to me! :c2:

Dieselwrencher 12-04-2020 09:18 PM

Larry, the new pieces sure look great! I really like that fixed yoke set up on there.

Hart_Rod 06-23-2021 11:36 AM

Great thread! Bump for an update...:D.

83GMCK2500 06-23-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8935749)
Great thread! Bump for an update...:D.

I believe I saw some pictures on IG where he is out galivanting around in the reborn K10, I'm waiting for an update on either of his squares. :lol:

Zoomad75 06-24-2021 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 (Post 8935981)
I believe I saw some pictures on IG where he is out galivanting around in the reborn K10, I'm waiting for an update on either of his squares. :lol:

That he is. I'd be there with them, but I need to stick close to home as my Mom isn't doing well healthwise. The rebuild of the K10 and my 8.1 swap sucked up most of his wrenching time over the last year.

twotonecrew 03-23-2022 09:32 PM

Jumping on the 8.1L band wagon, well I have been on it for a while but finally getting to do some work on mine. Wanted to thank you Larry for all the information that you have provided on this swap. I was wondering if anyone has ever put one of Raylar's superchargers on one of these while doing the swap? It is something that I am looking into and thinking it would be a lot of fun.:devil: Only thing I am wondering about is the pulley set up as I am running the brackets for the top mount a/c compressor. Called Raylar but haven't heard back form them. We will see where that goes.

bennylava 03-23-2022 10:57 PM

I noticed in an early post that you steamed cleaned the engine bay after removing the engine. Which steamer did you use? And did you do any scrubbing, or did the steam handle most of it?

Zoomad75 03-24-2022 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twotonecrew (Post 9055791)
Jumping on the 8.1L band wagon, well I have been on it for a while but finally getting to do some work on mine. Wanted to thank you Larry for all the information that you have provided on this swap. I was wondering if anyone has ever put one of Raylar's superchargers on one of these while doing the swap? It is something that I am looking into and thinking it would be a lot of fun.:devil: Only thing I am wondering about is the pulley set up as I am running the brackets for the top mount a/c compressor. Called Raylar but haven't heard back form them. We will see where that goes.

The guy I got my 8.1 from put a Raylar supercharger on an 8.1 in his 3/4 ton Yukon XL. He later used it on a PSI 8.8 block with a stroker crank that makes 9.5L and the blower. I got to ride in with the blown 8.1. Rowdy. I'll put it this way, with the 8.1 it was way quicker than a 3/4 ton Yukon was ever intended. With the 9.5 he told me it loses traction in 3rd gear north of 60mph.

As fun as it was, for what I do with mine it would be complete overkill. It's worth every penny though. I saw it before he installed it. It was very well done.

twotonecrew 04-01-2022 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomad75 (Post 9056438)
The guy I got my 8.1 from put a Raylar supercharger on an 8.1 in his 3/4 ton Yukon XL. He later used it on a PSI 8.8 block with a stroker crank that makes 9.5L and the blower. I got to ride in with the blown 8.1. Rowdy. I'll put it this way, with the 8.1 it was way quicker than a 3/4 ton Yukon was ever intended. With the 9.5 he told me it loses traction in 3rd gear north of 60mph.

As fun as it was, for what I do with mine it would be complete overkill. It's worth every penny though. I saw it before he installed it. It was very well done.

I finally talked with Larry from Raylar and he told me to keep the factory suburban brackets and notch the frame as the high mount a/c compressor would cause problems with clearance and the new supercharger. So now I face that dilemma, ditch the supercharger idea or notch the frame. :smoke:

Zoomad75 04-01-2022 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twotonecrew (Post 9059750)
I finally talked with Larry from Raylar and he told me to keep the factory suburban brackets and notch the frame as the high mount a/c compressor would cause problems with clearance and the new supercharger. So now I face that dilemma, ditch the supercharger idea or notch the frame. :smoke:

I'm not a fan of cutting the fame. Even less so if you are stuffing a heavy blown big block right on the area of the frame that would need to be chopped up.

I guess it really depends on what the primary goal is with the truck. For Larry and I, having the blower is pointless as the power isn't needed like that off road 100 miles from pavement. If you plan on drag racing or embarrassing diesel bros with a blown 8.1 on the street, it may not be as much of an issue to chop the frame for ac compressor clearance.

Squarebody's have notoriously flexy frames so it wouldn't be my first plan to chop the frame and stress it further with a blown big block. But it ain't my truck.