The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My Build Thread (year+) on 71 Jimmy 4x4 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=267640)

57NAPCO 06-13-2010 11:50 PM

Re: My Build Thread (year+) on 71 Jimmy 4x4

nice

Yukon Jack 06-13-2010 11:57 PM

CONGRATS! Looks awesome.

RckyMntnKng 06-14-2010 12:49 AM

Thanks gentlemen- raw hided it all around the subdivision on saturday stomping the brakes and slamming the gears to see if I could brake something.

So far so good ! First time its moved in about 2 years. Shoulda seen how many people hit the sidewalks to take a look-see. Had numerous ride requests today - My son Jaxon is pretty proud of his monster truck with all the neighbor kids lol.

Makes it all worth it :metal: :gmc2: :metal:

Burt4x4 06-14-2010 09:52 AM

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa!! :metal::metal:

Feels good to drive it again I bet!! Looks great DOOD!! :gmc2:

I will be in Moab September!! See you there ;)

:mm::chevy::mm:

fun in dirt 06-14-2010 11:02 AM

Very cool!!!
I'd been thinking about adding a side toolbox to mine & wondered how it'd look...now I know; think I'll do the same.

RckyMntnKng 06-14-2010 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone!

Its a pretty sweet feeling to even go around the block at this point.

Cant wait to get her ready for Rubicon, Moab, Rausch crk etc

Quote:

I'd been thinking about adding a side toolbox to mine & wondered how it'd look...now I know; think I'll do the same.
I wondered how they would look too, sticking up above the rail. I have to tell you it is really growing on me. It's a lifesaver too for all the tools and junk you have to have with you, that you need safe/sound and dry and out of sight for those that may walk off with something. I can stand on the beadlock ring to look into the box on both sides so its not even an issue for convenience as well.

SJBlazer 06-14-2010 12:32 PM

that blazer is beautiful i absolutely love boggers. i do beleive i will be purchasing a set for my 71 k5. Did you custom build that roll cage? if not were did you find it? Thanks and again beautiful rig you got

RckyMntnKng 06-14-2010 12:43 PM

Much appreciated!

I guess you could call the cage "custom" as I am the only rig in the world with this exact one.

It started as a standard 8pt cage from "All4FunOffroad" - the gentlemen who owns the place is known as "BroncoBob" - He does alot of bronco cages obviously - but also has Jimmy/Blazer/Ram styles. He is very helpfull and I sent him some mods that I wanted. He has the file in CADD and made changes on the fly with where I had asked for different bend areas and lengths. Then you get a pallet on your doorstep with each piece of tube, all bent up and labled, and you weld it together yourself and bolt it down.

I made the rear hoop bend to allow the side toolboxs to open and still tilt forward as much as possible. the middle hoop got widened and set back so the seats could recline. The wheel-well kicker was moved to the front of instead of trunk area like his pictures show...and I raised the rear hoop 2" and the center hoop 1" to give it a small rake.

Im sure he has the file for me still if you want to borrow or have him send you any of the pieces pre-bent.

The website is: http://www.broncobob.com/
If you go to that and hit the roll cage link towards the right and scroll down you will see the blazer cages.

JHT67 06-14-2010 09:47 PM

:jdp:I can't wait to see that thing in a 4x4 mag soon. If for any reason I'm ever in Meridian, Idaho, can I go for a ride:D

RckyMntnKng 06-15-2010 10:47 AM

Haha thanks bro, that would pretty cool to have a rig you built be the topic of a Petersons 4x4 story wouldnt it.

Stop by Meridian anytime and we will wheel the wheels off it!

Quote:

I will be in Moab September!! See you there
Hey Burt - can you fill me in or link me up for whats going on in Moab this Sept?
I really want to take it on a trip and was considering Rubicon or even Moab in Sept!

SJBlazer 06-18-2010 12:56 PM

I love that roll cage! How did you do it? all custom?

VA72C10 06-18-2010 01:36 PM

very nicely done!!! Looks great and I'm sure it's going to work great on the trails!

RckyMntnKng 06-30-2010 12:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Appreciate all the comments guys! :metal: Loving the Truck and polishing up on some "detais"

Thought It would be nice to know what my vitals are running, only thing working on my stock gauges were the Speedo which was now off a bunch with the tires, and my fuel....

Decided to go with the Dolphin Gauges - All electric with Programmable speedo, tach, oil, fuel, volts, water and all the senders.

Works like a dream! And My speedo is correct and I can make it correct again anytime I change tire size or gears in the future - Shaweet. Simple plug and play on the Tach with my HEI and Autowire's kit. Couldnt be easier to install.....well the fuel float contraption and oil pressure sender was kinda a Beotch but well worth the trouble.

More finish work on the wiring was adding two more Cig plugs for the rear occupants and I rewired the Door switches to green toggles (rather than door pin ground switch) so everyone gets there own switch and LED bulbs. Plus can turn them all on with the headlight switch.

Also put a couple lights in the trunk area and brought my video cable for the backup camera into the rear bumper area. Waiting to figure out my spare tire carrier / hi-lift / gas can set up first before I punch the 1-1/8" hole

RckyMntnKng 06-30-2010 01:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Wiring just never seems to finish!

Ran 4 guage from the battery into the tool box, and another for ground, with 2 more speaker wires, and Audio Left Right, and a remote turn on wired into one of my dash toggles - for the Kenwood Elite 1800w Mono amp. Its the only safe dry place - and this one barely gets warm so no worries.

Now I can have all the bass I want at the flip of a switch :devil:

Working on way to lock the box down so it doesnt walk away with my Polk Mobile Monitor Marine cert Subs. And Yes they Hit hard :metal: Have a set of Metal Gaurd bars to add to keep them safe

mstrav1973 06-30-2010 01:11 AM

Did you get your exhaust yet? I'm diging what you got going on with this truck, you might need to do a little Blacks Creek or Silver City for a break in session before MOAB.

Matt

RckyMntnKng 06-30-2010 01:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Chicks dig big trucks and to help them get in and out I decided to setup removable 6" drop steps on the rock sliders.

Cut a couple slots, and walla - hang them on anytime, and pull them off anytime. Cant see in the pick too well but there is a hole on each leg that carries a through the tube bolt/wing nut in case you want them more semi-permanent when your not rock sliding.

Probably need to come up with a center seat that can take the place of the console when the need arises....hmm :lol:

RckyMntnKng 06-30-2010 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thursday she hits the local 4x4 shop for alignment, once over on everything - brakes, steering etc etc - then off to the hills for the 4th weekend I hope.

Oh yeah on Friday the Exhaust goes in - running 2.5" duals into glass packs and have a set of electric Cutouts and "Y" pipes so I can have open exhaust with another flip of a switch. That should be a fun toy....I am just putting all the things Ive ever envisioned growing up on it, and then Im gonna enjoy the hell outta it till my son turns 16.

Your right I need to hit Blacks and Silver for some shake-down runs before the Bigger trips - cant wait

This pic for my brother over in Afgannystand - Keep your head down bro, enjoy the 4th weekend and hurry back to help me splash some mud out of the holes.:flag:

Yukon Jack 06-30-2010 09:02 AM

Lots of good details you've done to this K5 - a favorite of mine for sure.

Burt4x4 06-30-2010 09:54 AM

Wow! Damn DooD! Killer! :metal:
Great ideas, guages look great! Love the star too!
Freaken Awesome!
:alc::five:

RckyMntnKng 06-30-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Lots of good details you've done to this K5 - a favorite of mine for sure.
Quote:

Wow! Damn DooD! Killer!
Great ideas, guages look great! Love the star too!
Freaken Awesome!
Much appreciated gentlemen.
The finish work makes alot of difference in the comfort and usefullness level.
Little things like cupholders, lights, cubby holes for knick-knacks and paddy whacks.

I just about finished up and mounted a really nice set of under seat locking drawers last night, and some of those boat style swinging adjustable cupholders on each side for the rear seat.

RckyMntnKng 07-29-2010 12:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The thing is road worthy now....and 40" bias boggers can be fun at speed let me tell you.

Bucks 4x4 wrapped up some of the details for me and they did a damn nice job, really impressed.

I dropped it off to em to look through the whole thing and make sure it was good to go, and safe. I had some doubler support issues and they pimped me out a cross member like you wouldnt beleive. All new mounts at each foot, solid steel, high and tight....and they put in new motor mounts, swapped out 1 of the freeze plugs that was bad, did a dual shock stabilizer, shimmed up the d60 spring a bit etc.

She rides good!

RckyMntnKng 07-29-2010 12:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After Bucks put thier mark on it, only thing major left to get done was exhaust.

Ran duals out to some quiet mufflers, and did turn downs at the rear axle.

Installed a set of Y pipes and electric cutouts before the mufflers.

Stealth mode quiet or obnoxious loud at the push of a button. One of the funnest things on the rig, love it. Its all tucked up nice and tight.

Utilized some of the room under the rear seats for some drawers. worked out perfect. Its all in the details....they make great beer coolers, um i mean tool boxes. :alc:

Burt4x4 07-29-2010 09:56 AM

:ennyd::five::alc::barn::tim:

Had to break out the band and have a party for you AGAIN!!!!!!!! :metal:
Looks Great Bro!
:mm::gmc2::mm:

TonyJohnson 07-29-2010 10:23 AM

Those boxes under the seat are a great idea.

RckyMntnKng 07-29-2010 01:50 PM

Thanks lol - guess I can just keep this build thread going for eternity. There is always something more to do.

Right now im thinking about Hydraulic assist for sure.

WHAMMYBAR66 08-01-2010 05:25 PM

Dude.. I am telling you.. this is a great build thread. You have many great ideas and your truck is looking fantastic. The best part is that along with all the great ideas, designs and pics.. it is entertaining too.. the FUBAR on the fender.. I about fell out of my chair.

Your truck gives many of us something to hope for and also feeds the fire for great ideas !!

Thank you for taking the time to post your info and pics.. I know it takes time.

Please keep it up.

Whammybar66
www.myspace.com/drive13band

RckyMntnKng 08-02-2010 01:20 PM

Thanks man I really appreciate that. Ive enjoyed the thread and pics myself and getting advice and comments. Ive learned alot from other peoples threads so figured another would be ok and ended up having a few unique or new ideas pop into my head throughout.

I will keep er going - although Im going to drive it more than build on it for the summer and then add to it this fall/winter. :gmc2:

Quote:

Dude.. I am telling you.. this is a great build thread. You have many great ideas and your truck is looking fantastic. The best part is that along with all the great ideas, designs and pics.. it is entertaining too.. the FUBAR on the fender.. I about fell out of my chair.

RckyMntnKng 09-20-2010 02:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Couple updates.

I figured it would happen....The stock steering gearbox wouldnt hold up to the boggers (it was brand new, made it like 500 miles). Pulled it off and sent it to Texas so WTO (West Texas Offroad) could rebuild and port it out / set me up with the Redneck Ram Hydro Assist.

My stock D60 thin diff cover was leaking like a ***** around the flange and was just too warped to salvage - So I picked up a really BEEFY cover from GLO (Great Lakes Offroad) with an integrated drain and rock strap to weld the hydro tabs on.

Works like a charm now, 1 finger steer at all times, not jerky, no play - amazing. Allowed me to ditch the dual stabilizers - and smooth as butter up to 70mph no d-wobble. For now I set up from the cover to the tie-rod and when I go hi-steer later, it will be simple tab moving.

Also lets see - needed a spare carrier bad, and on the cheap. Picked up a tire carrier builders kit from AtoZ Fab - which consisted of a upgraded 1.5" 1200lb spindle, sleeve, races, bearings, grease cap, 8 lug plate, threaded T handle closure etc for $100. Then I took a spare roll bar I had, and cut it up, reinforced it and developed a setup I wanted. Will have better pics later, but I built a bracket to hold the spindle behind the tailgate thats incorporated into the roll bar itself and bolted to the floor. What I wanted to be able to do is have the tailgate down or up and still be able to latch the carrier. so it pivots above the tailgate. Sometimes I strap coolers onto the down tailgate when the cargo area is full and this leaves room on both sides when needed.

Another advantage i found out for this setup...it is very easy to get a heavy tire on and off the carrier when you can set it on the tailgate and bolt/unbolt.
Also the final configuration will have two Nato gas cans and the hi-lift mount.

Wheeled it all weekend - works excellent. Also Im running some 38x15 TSL radials on Recentered H1's with rock rings for the street and milder wheeling.
Pics to come...

Sorry for crap cell pics, will update these later with better.

coggonobrien 09-21-2010 05:38 AM

what did you use for a distributor? large cap or small? any clearance issues?

RckyMntnKng 09-21-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

what did you use for a distributor? large cap or small? any clearance issues?
I installed one of "skip whites" (Excellent ebayer) large cap 65k HEI distributors for a small block 350, with 10.5mm wire. There is no problem with the clearance at the firewall, but having the body lift helped out alot on that part. It may be a tight fit otherwise.

RckyMntnKng 09-22-2010 12:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Spare tire stuff....

Using a Bias 39" TSL for spare. Used a matching rock ring from the H1's and mounted it all up. Carrier has 2 gas cans, tire and highlift. Right now the cans sit behind the tire and vertical, but think im going to modify it so they sit on sides. The hi-lift sits horizontal on the tabs right behind tire

Burt4x4 09-23-2010 09:52 AM

Me like! Inboard/Outboard tirecarrier...Nice, don't think I have ever seen someone do that bee-feer :metal:
Do you sit in a little dark room and dream this stuff up or what? Or just drink a bunch of beer and the visions come too you in your sleep? Majic Mushrooms maybe? hahahaha
Burt

TonyJohnson 09-23-2010 10:01 AM

Great problem solving. Looks good.

RckyMntnKng 09-23-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Me like! Inboard/Outboard tirecarrier...Nice, don't think I have ever seen someone do that bee-feer
Do you sit in a little dark room and dream this stuff up or what? Or just drink a bunch of beer and the visions come too you in your sleep? Majic Mushrooms maybe? hahahaha
LOL I hear you on that one! I try to steer clear of mushrooms, but the beer helps everything go better now doesnt it.... Ive been thinking about how I wanted a carrier for a good 6 months while doing other projects on the truck. I kept thinking I would go with a hitch mounted type, or bolted to the bumper - but it pissed me off that I would forever be destined to keeping the tailgate up for the carrier to be closed up and latched.

I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt be ok to swing it from above the tailgate, because I had the oportunity to tie into some beefy areas for the weight. Hence i kinda decided on mutilating a roll bar that already had the bends i needed to space it out from the tailgate, so the spindle could be inboard. After that it was all measuring, cutting and welding - so im into the whole thing less than $150 smackers. I can run with the gate down or up and latch everything. Plus tghe thought of lifting a 150 tire up that high, made it a second plus on the system - open carrier, let tailgate down, close carrier, unbolt tire, re-bolt tire; while the tailgate holds it up for me. perfect :metal:

Quote:

Great problem solving. Looks good.
Thanks man! Too bad its winter almost - will have to get crazy beginning of summer on the wheeling I guess.

Burt4x4 09-23-2010 01:35 PM

hahah Ya no mushrooms for me..not sence the 80s anyway hahaha :lol:

That is cool, I too have re-centered H1s w/PVC insert 37"Bias Irocks (no rock rings yet) and I have to use a 1/2 way up "table" to set the tire on so I can then lift it too the carrier as I cannot dead lift it from the ground and upto the carrier mount without killin myself errr my back :uhmk:
:chevy::gmc2:

swyfor5 09-23-2010 04:58 PM

That is a great idea with the carrier! Great thread all together!

70 beast 09-25-2010 11:46 AM

*****en truck!!!!

definitely one of the coolest k5 on here

RckyMntnKng 09-25-2010 02:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks gentlemen! Can't believe how much the rear tire and extra gas squatted the azz end of the jimmy. I already put a add-a-leaf in it earlier to level it out...but these TC leafs are just soft.....good for flex although and ride. I ain't having no pre runner 2wd looking low dragging butt..

Fine....not making it any stiffer with another leaf....so u guessed it - 1" rear zero rate going in. :devil: oh the fun - pull driveline, pull shocks, pull tires, pull u bolts, clamp leaves, and add zero, then all back together again for about the 5th time... took me an hour and a half - hmmm a sign that I've done it too much and remember all the bolt sizes and fastest technique with the tools I got. :metal:

JHT67 03-24-2011 10:46 PM

Updates :D, some action pics maybe?:clap:

RckyMntnKng 08-23-2011 07:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics...hard to snap action ones when your driving lol

Took her out to Kimberly mines near Warren Idaho for 4 days last weekend.

Damage for the trip was a broken windshield, dented driver rear bedside, ripped off gas cap, and fanned out the leaf pack which sunk the back end on one side. I call that a sucess. Burned a whole tank getting in, and 3 spare cans getting out - running most of the time in low-low on the case

There were stretches of miles straight where she never left the river following out the dredge rivers to old mines.