The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Aluminum intake cleaning? Any options (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=615565)

CST10 02-07-2014 08:16 AM

Aluminum intake cleaning? Any options

The edlebrock RPM Air Gap intake has some slight discoloration and what appears to be light surface rust specs. . How do you clean this stuff off?

hugger6933 02-07-2014 08:23 AM

Re: Aluminum intake cleaning? Any options

Have you tried carb cleaner?

CC69Rat 02-07-2014 08:27 AM

light media blasting / cleaning then a good coat of high temp clear has worked for me in the past. It will look brand new.

69SWB4X4 02-07-2014 08:39 AM

Aluminum mag wheel cleaner works well too.

MARKDTN 02-07-2014 08:43 AM

Dishwasher on high heat potscrubber cycle will go a long way. Make sure your wife is not home.....

cdowns 02-07-2014 08:51 AM

aluminium does not rust

CC69Rat 02-07-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKDTN (Post 6512749)
Dishwasher on high heat potscrubber cycle will go a long way. Make sure your wife is not home.....

:haha:

RustyBucket 02-07-2014 09:34 AM

My neighbor recently bead blasted my old cruddy Performer RPM. Came out real bright & clean. I sprayed it with high heat clear to keep it from getting all stained up again. Finished product looks kinda cheesy/shiny like it's been painted with aluminum paint. I may grind the PERFORMER logo off and paint it Chevy orange.

Tom Vogel 02-07-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69SWB4X4 (Post 6512745)
Aluminum mag wheel cleaner works well too.

Yes... this stuff sprays on and hoses off, I beleive its a mild acid. Its available at Oreilys etc.

71Dually 02-07-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKDTN (Post 6512749)
Make sure your wife is not home.....

Glad to see I'm not the only one who does things while the wife's away. I use the stove & kitchen sink quite often myself. All the cleaning brushes in the kitchen really do a good job cleaning the fine part details.

Bead blast will clean it well and a matte clear coat should prevent the cheesy/shiny to glossy look.

In the absence of a bead blaster, wheel cleaner will also do the job but requires a little more elbow grease. Follow the cleaner product instructions and don't leave a acid based cleaner on to long. It will etch the aluminum leaving a dull look to the metal.

motorcritter 02-07-2014 05:10 PM

The dishwasher is a great cleanup device, for relatively small stuff. The same principle is used in the big rotisserie style cleaners in transmission shops. Watch out what you use for cleaner- some of the household ones will discolor aluminum. I had to bead blast a Triumph motorcycle head after that error. It wasn't a consistent nice grey color, either. I've often considered getting one of those free-standing dishwashers (I don't know if they're still made). I used one for cleaning up motorcycle parts, many years ago, much to my housemates' dismay. The built-ins are nice, but motor crud can discolor everything inside them (nice white wire baskets and trays? Not anymore, man!). Actual parts cleaner powder can be had from ZEP, it works great, ain't cheap, but well worth it.

Fldawg 02-07-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyBucket (Post 6512805)
My neighbor recently bead blasted my old cruddy Performer RPM. Came out real bright & clean. I sprayed it with high heat clear to keep it from getting all stained up again. Finished product looks kinda cheesy/shiny like it's been painted with aluminum paint. I may grind the PERFORMER logo off and paint it Chevy orange.

the clear will yellow after it goes thru some heat cycles, i would just leave it aluminum, because your taking away what aluminum is supposed to do disapate heat

Bryan H 02-07-2014 07:10 PM

If you clear it, it will yellow. What I do is after a good cleaning, Spray a little Krylon brand Dull Aluminum paint and dab it with a paper towel absorbing the access paint off. Don't wipe it or the paper towel pieces will roll up on the intake. Just dab it and do a little place at a time until the whole thing is done and it will look like a new intake. I did the one on my truck and after 2 years of driving on the weekends it still looks new. I read it in a Hot Rod magazine once and it really works.

RustyBucket 02-07-2014 07:13 PM

I washed as much of the clear (Rustoleum Hi-Temp.) off with thinner today and I'm happier with the way it looks. I'm sure there's still some soaked into the porous surface. Ain't scared about the heat dissipation, The General painted a zillion iron ones. At the rate I'm NOT getting it put back together I'll be awhile before it yellows.

CC69Rat 02-07-2014 07:14 PM

Mime never yellowed.. drove the car for 8+ yrs won many shows.

71 super 02-07-2014 10:37 PM

Greased lightening on a cloth for spot cleaning. Scrub and rinse.

69 4by 02-07-2014 11:35 PM

A bath in hull cleaner or phosphoric acid should do it.

allchevy58 02-08-2014 12:01 AM

I've taken misc. aluminum parts, intake, wheels and even a trailer with aluminum fenders and trim to a truck wash and had them acid bath the parts. They never charged for the small parts.

Sicklajoie 02-08-2014 12:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Last month I used a batch of Freon TF Solvent, which I think is illegal to get now.
Before to after:

litew8 02-08-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 6512756)
aluminium does not rust

It corrodes, but it does not rust. Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion.

67ctener 02-08-2014 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bead blast and clear powdercoat

kelsfine69 02-08-2014 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2nds on the clear coating. This intake is almost 20 years old and counting. The gas will discolor it over time where it seaps from the carb but I cant complain. I also threw in some pearl in the clear to still give it some sparkle.

Ricks1971 07-04-2014 08:53 PM

CST10, is the manifold on or off the truck? If it is off the truck I use a product that I get from the plumbing dept at Home Depot called hair and grease remover. I just use a paint bucket with a throw away paint brush and just paint it up and when it turn white (just a few minutes)hose it off and its clean like new.

CST10 07-17-2014 09:46 PM

Sorry for the late response. The intake is on the truck. Really don't want to take it off if I don't have too. Will the al cleaner mess up the engine block paint?

motornut 07-17-2014 10:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
workin on this one,finished smoothing now,gona blast it soon,then blue for the 79.
new Quad too