The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tried 20's on Green Monster (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=270462)

AJs72K5 12-17-2007 06:01 PM

Re: Tried 20's on Green Monster

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtrux (Post 2490071)
So when are you changing yours?

The whole suspension, axle, tire, and wheel setup is changing over the winter. The truck is up on stands right now as the work has already started.

Critter 12-17-2007 06:01 PM

I Love how the 15s look on your original truck Green Monster. I personally wouldn't do it. On the other, hand for a lifted, more customized K5 like AJ's the proportions look a lot better/more natural. Just my $0.02.

Green Monster 12-18-2007 01:28 AM

Agreed. The 15's look good. 17's look nice too. 18's are not offered in that style wheel otherwise I might consider them too. If I went to 35 inch tires the wheels would definitely have to go up in size too. The 33's just look too small to me but 35's look like they will give me clearance issues as the tire and fender will rub. Like most of you guys said... I'll just leave it alone. It looks good the way it is.

jaros44sr 12-18-2007 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 2490515)
Agreed. The 15's look good. 17's look nice too. 18's are not offered in that style wheel otherwise I might consider them too. If I went to 35 inch tires the wheels would definitely have to go up in size too. The 33's just look too small to me but 35's look like they will give me clearance issues as the tire and fender will rub. Like most of you guys said... I'll just leave it alone. It looks good the way it is.

GM, I am in the same situation. I like the looks of 35's but can't fit them under my truck without body damage and the fear of snapping an axle. Unsafe both ways. 35's seem to be proportional to the bulk of the truck...

Using a lever and a fulcrum as an example, the further out the lever you move the easier it is to lift. You could lift something in closer on the lever, but it would take more force, possilby snapping the lever (or axle). Could we take this logic and apply it to the ring and pinion? If I were to run 4.56 gears would that lessen the force on the axles, or is it just the mass, wt. of the wheel tire combo that is the culprit. Seems to me, you wouldn't be applying as much force with the lower gears.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but there has to be a way I can safely run 35's on the street w/4" of lift and not cause anyone harm, my truck and self included. I just don't know what is snapping axles

I like the way yours looks with the 33's...

Chevyman63 12-18-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 2490515)

I agree...when you go up to 35's, then the 17's look good, but I think you would have to go to 40's or even bigger to make the 20's look correct. Obviously this is just my opinion and your's is the one that counts. :metal:

LUV2XCLR8 12-18-2007 03:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You mentioned 15' and 35's so here that is, as for the 20's I say no ;)

Green Monster 12-18-2007 04:57 AM

I figure this:
33" tires go with 15" wheels.
35" tires go with 17" wheels.

Just my opinion.

I'm already committed to the 15" wheels so I'll stay with the 33" tires. I purchased a new matching spare 15" Weld Racing Super Single II wheel last month as a Christmas gift to myself to mount a spare 33" Mud Terrain tire. It may take a little getting used to but I think it should look better than a skinny spare with a vinyl cover on it.

Last month I removed my roll bar and took it to the body shop to strip, paint and clear with PPG paint. It turned out really nice looking. No more scratches and gouges. I showed the guys at the shop how I want the spare tire carrier modified so it can hold the new wheel and 33" tire. They looked at it and said it will be an easy modification. I'm looking forward to the spring already...

Chevyman63 12-18-2007 05:06 AM

That sounds cool! I wish I were that close to being done. Hey, if VT and Jaros44 head my way this coming summer, maybe you would like to join them? Sounds like a good time.

bouncytruck 12-18-2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2490538)
GM, I am in the same situation. I like the looks of 35's but can't fit them under my truck without body damage and the fear of snapping an axle. Unsafe both ways. 35's seem to be proportional to the bulk of the truck...

Using a lever and a fulcrum as an example, the further out the lever you move the easier it is to lift. You could lift something in closer on the lever, but it would take more force, possilby snapping the lever (or axle). Could we take this logic and apply it to the ring and pinion? If I were to run 4.56 gears would that lessen the force on the axles, or is it just the mass, wt. of the wheel tire combo that is the culprit. Seems to me, you wouldn't be applying as much force with the lower gears.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but there has to be a way I can safely run 35's on the street w/4" of lift and not cause anyone harm, my truck and self included. I just don't know what is snapping axles

I like the way yours looks with the 33's...

Generally, 35's are considered to be the top end of what is "safe" on 1/2 ton axles. Unless you are going to be wheeling it hard, your chances of snapping an axle are fairly slim. The gearing probably won't change the strain on the axles, but the strain on the engine. 4.10's are about right for 35's on the street. A 4" lift works with 35's but you may have rubbing if you wheel it. 6" lift is better. Of course, wheel size and off-set come into play on clearances and strain on the axles.

I've had two K5's with 35" tires on 1/2 ton suspension. One had a 4" lift the other a 6". The truck with the smaller lift was running 3.73 gears, which wasn't quite low enough. The other was running 4.10's which gave it a lot more get-up-and-go.

jaros44sr 12-18-2007 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck (Post 2490710)
Generally, 35's are considered to be the top end of what is "safe" on 1/2 ton axles. Unless you are going to be wheeling it hard, your chances of snapping an axle are fairly slim. The gearing probably won't change the strain on the axles, but the strain on the engine. 4.10's are about right for 35's on the street. A 4" lift works with 35's but you may have rubbing if you wheel it. 6" lift is better. Of course, wheel size and off-set come into play on clearances and strain on the axles.

I've had two K5's with 35" tires on 1/2 ton suspension. One had a 4" lift the other a 6". The truck with the smaller lift was running 3.73 gears, which wasn't quite low enough. The other was running 4.10's which gave it a lot more get-up-and-go.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. I don't plan on wheeling hard, just getting to the campsite and green trails. But, I do plan on putting it on the beach. Could be a very bad time to snap an axle with the tide coming in. I better mount a winch

BLUE THUNDER 12-18-2007 07:56 AM

IMO, 15's or 16's max. Big wheels might be in these days, but not on a classic Blazer. Just doesn't look right. Mario

ABLAZN 12-18-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE THUNDER (Post 2490836)
IMO, 15's or 16's max. Big wheels might be in these days, but not on a classic Blazer. Just doesn't look right. Mario

I agree with you to a point. I really like some side wall on our rigs, not mention any 4X4. I really had to think hard before going to 17's, but with my 35's, they like right. It really was not much of a stretch though, since "back in the day" we would run 33's on 16.5 rims and that looked good too. One of the reasons I made the switch to 17's is that tires are getting harder to find in 15's. The newer rigs are using 16 and bigger more and more stock, so I just wanted to be able to get tires with out special ordering a set when the time come to replace them again.

vtblazer 12-18-2007 12:53 PM

The wheel/tire combo makes a statement, both about the owner and what he thinks/wants the truck to come off as.

15" wheels & 33" tires with a 4" lift has a very classic/beefy look IMO.

Anything past that and your getting into either bling or redneck territory.

Chevyman63, what'd ya mean "if"? :three:
Yeah, GM deffinetly needs to jump in on this road trip!

CG 12-18-2007 01:31 PM

I like the 15's. I dont care for the large diameter wheels on any 4x4 much less a classic blazer like yours. My eye needs to see a pretty good sidewall on any 4x4. Im not sure what it is...maybe its too much body mass hanging over a small sidewall that looks off to me.

But heck Im just coming around to liking the bigger wheels on lowered trucks...what do I know? :lol:

1969k10stepside 12-18-2007 01:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'd stick with the 15s if the only other option was 20s but a 16 or 17 inch rim isn't bad.I've got 16s on my 71 K10 with 35" tires..As for clearance if you would go to 35s....With a 3" lift you might run into issues with the front tires hitting the fender cups....I'd run 35s on the current 15" rims though if the 35s would fit..
Here's my 16" rims and 35s:
Attachment 322365

Attachment 322366

Kurt L 12-18-2007 02:40 PM

don't touch a thing 15's are great lookintg on your truck.btw beautiful blazer you have

Green Monster 12-18-2007 04:40 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I need more details about the Michigan trip to Chevyman's. When is it? What is it for? Are you taking the Blazers? I don't do rain in the Blazer. So that makes me a last minute, probably not because of t-storms if we're taking the Blazers. I appreciate the invite but I need more info about it.

I'll stick with the 33's on 15's even though they are starting to look wimpy to me. From what some are writing, it has a classic look to it. So I'll keep it. I just want a stock looking Blazer with a nice lift, wheels, tires, low end torque and a nice sounding exhaust. I have all that so I really should not be messing with anything. Especially if messing with something is going to cost me a few thousand dollars. Considering the paint job I want will cost me at least $10-15K. I should really save my money for that.

Funny 69 Stepside posted those Pro-Comp tires. I'm considering purchasing a set of Mud Terrain Xtreme based on what I read on this car domain page. Link

They are stated to be quieter on the road and have sipes for rain... oh that's right, I don't do rain. Anyway. Anyone know anything about these Pro-Comp tires? Are they better than the BF Goodrich Mud Terrains? I am on the fence about these. The BFG's do have a distinct look about them.

billyjo 12-18-2007 05:26 PM

Here is a pic with 35's and 17's
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s/IMG_0113.jpg

Big J 12-18-2007 07:24 PM

I like them all..... It all depends on what the rig looks like and what wheel/tire combo. What looks awesome on one, may look like crap on the other. 15-20s, its all good.
billyjo, is that your ride? Looks sweet, kind of a modern classic.

Green Monster 12-19-2007 02:39 AM

Billyjo: Do you have any issue with rubbing the fender cups? I saw a video you posted sometime last year in the snow. That is one bad a$$ Blazer. The supercharger whine was incredible. Very nice ride indeed.

72BlckButy 12-19-2007 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 2491647)
I like them all..... It all depends on what the rig looks like and what wheel/tire combo. What looks awesome on one, may look like crap on the other. 15-20s, its all good.

I couldn't agree more.

billyjo 12-19-2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 2491647)
billyjo, is that your ride? Looks sweet, kind of a modern classic.

Yes that one is mine, thanks for the compliments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 2491818)
Billyjo: Do you have any issue with rubbing the fender cups? I saw a video you posted sometime last year in the snow. That is one bad a$$ Blazer. The supercharger whine was incredible. Very nice ride indeed.

The only place that mine ever rubbed was on the front of the rear wheel well. I added the ORD add a leafs and moved the axle forward an inch so that the wheel was more centered in the well and haven't rubbed since. I do have 1 ton running gear and I think that adds a little to my original lift also.

Tynee 12-19-2007 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck (Post 2489898)
Hey Green Monster, if you do get new wheels, are you going to send the updated photos to the ebay scammer who's been using the photos of your truck?

If I ever meet that guy, I'm gonna kick him square in the sac. (didn't we used to have a smiley for that?) Every time I see GM go up on eBay, I start looking for places to sell a kidney, just in case its for real this time. My realtor is getting sick of me putting my house on the market and taking it off, too.

N2TRUX 12-19-2007 06:03 AM

You might like the 20's better if you had proportioned them correctly in your PS. Personally I think 15's on anything bigger than a 33 look too small.

Green Monster 12-19-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 2491961)
You might like the 20's better if you had proportioned them correctly in your PS. Personally I think 15's on anything bigger than a 33 look too small.

I could not proportion the wheels any more accurately (correctly).

I figured I want to put 20's on using a picture of 15's. I took 20 and divided it by 15 which results in 1.33 repeating. Converted to percentage this equates to 133%. So a 20 inch wheel is 133% larger in diameter than a 15 inch wheel.

I placed the photo into MS Paint, cropped the wheels and stretched them by the multiplier of 133% vertically and horizontally resulting in a perfectly proportioned 20 inch wheel. Then I just touched up the corners of the cropped wheel. Is there a more accurate way to correctly depict 20 inch wheels in my photo?